Off Topic New Solid State hard drive

Shodrewken

Just a note about Samsung SSD drives. The Samsung Pro SSD is made with MLC NAND. The EVO SSD version of the drive uses TLC NAND. There is just no getting around that difference. Why does this matter you might ask? Because MLC rated life is double that of TLC, also faster. It does cost more to make and it why PRO drives are more expensive.

Yes also the older Samsung 830 series is made from the better more expensive memory, Samsung started using the cheaper memory with the 840 series, so if you can still find it the 830 is better made with the more expensive longer lasting memory.

Looks like Samsung's 840 Pro series is MLC as well which is rated for 10,000 cycles. The 840 EVO is TLC and rated for 5,000 cycles.

On Ebay right now looking at lowest BIN prices available for 512GB drives, the 840 Pro is $350 while the 840 EVO is $250.00. MLC NAND is more expensive but longer lasting. You choose.

Edited by JL Sargent

Cviper, Was that for a desktop PC or a laptop? I think my buddy might have jumped on that same deal jumped on the same deal. I even considered it for my new Dell XPS 8700(i7-4770,8GB RAM,1TB storage,NVIDIA GeForce GT 635 1GB graphics card) but will wait for another deal. This thing is already fast with 8GB RAM and 1TB hard drive but will expand the memory to 16GB and then at the same time get the SSD. I did not think I would like Windows 8.1 but the more I get used to it, the more I like. I really was not in the market for a new computer and was just going to uninstall XP and replace it with 7 and add some memory and a larger hard drive. That would have cost me in the area of $200 + to do all that with no guarantees that my computers processor would handle Windows 7. My buddy pointed me to a screaming deal from Dell with a couple of promo coupons and his corporate discount it came to $448.00 shipped. For a PC that msrp's for $899.00 and consistently sells for $725.00 to $800.00, I just could not pass it up. Did I mention that I got my new ASUS VH23H 23" HDMI monitor($199.00 msrp) for $159.00 - $64.00 - $20.00 = $75.00 shipped?

Hey Bill, very nice computer that system should serve you well for many years. I purchased this drive for my desktop computer. I'm a computer gamer through and through, and I built my system about 1.5 years ago. I have the last gen Ivy Bridge 3770k proc, Asrock Z77 mobo, 16 gigs of gskill ddr3 ram, nvidia gefore gtx 680 2 gig, sound blaster xfi sound card, and the new Samsung evo drive. I have my old western digital black 1 tb drive going as well for storage. Performance wise I didn't really have many complaints aside from the slow boot up times, and file searching. And I've actually seen some improvement in my games. As funds allow my next purchase will be a new monitor. I have a Dell 2405 that has served me extremely well for almost 10 years, but I'm just ready for a bigger screen, probably something in the 27" range.

I'm gutting my old office Alienware. Here is the parts list I have chosen so far, but I may change some stuff before I click buy. Note the 500 gig SSD. ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $199.99 PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 290X 4GBD5-PPDHE Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ... $569.99 SILVERSTONE Strider Gold S Series ST75F-GS 750W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply $129.99 Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K $309.99 SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 2.5" 500GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $264.99 Team Xtreem 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2666 (PC3 21300) Desktop Memory Model TXD316G2666HC11CDC01 $162.99 Tt eSPORTS POSEIDON Z Illuminated KB-PIZ-KLBLUS-01 Black USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard – Blue Switch Edition $79.99 Pioneer Black Blu-ray Burner SATA BDR-2209 $85.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99

That's gonna be a powerhouse! Are you just gutting your old office computer for the case? Or will this be your new office comp? If its just gonna be an office comp its just a little overkill for spread sheets, and web browsing me thinks :P

As funds allow my next purchase will be a new monitor. I have a Dell 2405 that has served me extremely well for almost 10 years, but I'm just ready for a bigger screen, probably something in the 27" range.

Funny you should mention a 27" monitor. There is a guy on C-list here in Orlando selling two ASUS VE276Q 27" monitors and two Logitech computer sound systems for $250.00. If in good condition, I thought about buying them and flipping for a few bucks.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/sys/4407481854.html

Bill

Haven't been here in a while.

As to setting to AHCI, yes. However, for the amateur who doesn't want to tinker with such things there are several cloning programs to handle OS HDD to SSD migration. Paragon Disk Manager is one of those, but not the only one. These programs also handle partitioning and other issues for the amateur very well. The HDD to SSD is a point and click operation.

It's not bad practice to set up your new install on your old HDD, then clone it when it's working. That way, you have a backup and also the benefit of seeing the big speed increase when you swap them out. If you have a good install you are happy with on an HDD, just clone it. Easy button to having a "new" computer...

SETI, 32GB is PLENTY for Linux and, yes, they are available for 50 bucks or less.

Dave

Here is under the hood of the bigger computer I am putting together. I like to zip tie everythign and make it clean.

Just ordered 3 video cards today (2 for this one, 1 for the other computer). Also ordered some shorter SATA cables to clean it up a little more (look real close, one of the HD's is not hooked up and the blue cable to the SSD it too long).

Internet has spoiled me. There is a Frys 10 minutes away and I order from Newegg so I don't have to go to Frys.

This is an older computer but it feels really nice to work on. The new passive cooled video cards should make this really quiet. All of the fans are really big so they are quiet (except the video card).

post-8757-0-44820000-1398831224_thumb.jp