BLO Verses Watco Danish oil ( Natural )

i have 3 sets of walnut heresys and one set of cornwall ramblin rose to re oil. pictures will come later

first up a single from my 79 set and i sanded them with 3 different grits and put 2 coats of straight BLO, 0000 steal wool between coats. very nice

second one i sanded the same and put 2 coats of watco danish oil made the black grain in the walnut pop much more than the blo

and i know all about the rags that can catch fire so don't worry

post-12513-0-51500000-1399418311_thumb.j

Edited by Budman

BLO smells forever. I like the Watco oil. I used to use the natural finish for years on my boards. Now I use Howard's bees wax when I don't paint, that stuff is awesome.

Dean, are you saying i could use the howards over top of the watco

No. I was just saying that at one point in the past I switched from Watco Natural to Howard Feed-N-Wax for my builds on Red Oak. It's actually beeswax and orange oil, and the directions say it's a wood polish and conditioner. Says, "A penetrating feeder and polish for all furniture finishes and natural woods." I don't see why you couldn't use it on top of the oil, I'm just not sure why you would want to.

I have to agree with Dean, boiled linseed oil will smell for some time but will leave a well sealed finish. I have found if you don't follow with a wax type finish it will eventually have a muted/dull look. Watco is a great product but will also get a flat look after a period, I like to follow it with Watco Natural Satin Wax. It seals and leave a nice luster that won't go flat, retreating every six months with the wax keeps the surface sealed and clean. You can also use Zinsser Bulls Eye Shellac over the Watco instead of the Satin wax, steel wool it with 0000 and have a more protection than the wax and eliminate the 6 mo. treatment. Best is to try any of your finishes on left over stock to see if you like it.

t

What timing.

My front doors are Alder and I live in the desert. I restored them a few years ago and it took an entire weekend to remove the old finish. I found this on the internet:

The concept is that any finish that you use will not last in the searing heat of the desert. So instead of using a finish that is difficult to remove, use a finish that can easily be applied every few years. He is basically mixing up a very durable linseed oil mix that shines like it has a finish. ANd to re-apply, just lightly sand (it took me 15 minutes to sand 2 doors) and re-apply.

Here is the recipe:

Thoroughly sand with 220 grit. Wipe dry with damp cloth.

Mix finish:

1 part linseed oil

1 part Naphtha

½ part Epifanes

Apply using old cotton tee shirts

If previously finished, put on light coats ad wipe off excess.

After dries (may take a few days) lightly sand with 600 grit of steel wool to remove any surface bumps.

Here is a link:

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/desert-outdoor-finish/

The inside of my doors still look like the day that I first applied the finish. I imagine that this would last 5 to 10 years on a pair of speakers.

Good article Moray, I agree with staying away from the oil/varnish finishes with steel wool, though the 0000 works well in between coats if you're using shellac. I like to use the Watco an 1200 wet/dry and creat a slurry as the final application before going to the Watco satin wax, but only if you want a glassy finish. Another great product is Sam Maloofs Oil and wax finish, I believe it a combination of tung oil, boiled linseed oil and shredded bees wax, but don't quote me, it leave a great natural finish. Down side is dry time, but it worth the wait. All of the finish talk is moot if you don't use proper sanding techniques before appling finish though.

t