Rare Treat

Mallette

Mahler 8th, with 360 voice choir, 8 soloists, 118 piece orchestra, and pipe organ.

Christolph Eschenbach conducted this massive force like Patton ran the 8th Armored. Been many years since I had any dope, but I can say I experienced a huge rush at the end of the first movement when the entire orchestra spirals up towards the heavens.

Probably the worst seats acoustically I've ever had in Jones Hall and I understand some of the issues better now. These seats were well up in the orchestra and almost under the mezzanine off to the left. Visually good, but considerably less impact than the 10 or so rows back we usually book for Messiah every year. Even though orchestra and choir for Messiah are only a fraction of that for the Mahler, the impact at those seats is significantly more pronounced and the general sound more defined.

Aside from that, and French horns that seemed just a bit tentative at times, the work was awesome. Baritone was particularly powerful and commanding. Boys choir was magnificent and I'd love to hear them do an Anglican high mass. Two 20 foot or so chimes where hung and seriously contributed. It is also always a tribute to the pipe organ when you hear 32' pipes providing a foundation to the entire orchestra that clearly says "I am KING of instruments...but I can be a team player as well."

5 curtain calls...really. Houston love it's symphony. Jones Hall? Not so much. As I said, acoustically decent to very good, but restrooms are a journey up and down narrow stair wells that end with a long line. A city that is rolling in dough really should do something about this. Having lived in Dallas 18 years and now Houston for 10, I must say the Houston arts scene is really well ahead of Dallas...but the Meyerson is superior in every way to Jones Hall.

Anyway, a great night and I was very proud of my 12 year old son. He not only didn't hate it, but enjoyed several parts. Said he wondered why the two harps didn't play...so I think he dozed through that as it was in a long quiet passage about half way through. They were actually spectacular.

The 8th is done not done routinely. This is the first time in 20 years for Houston, and is well worth going out of one's way for if the conductor and orchestra are worthy...and that is key as this is one of those pieces that can be long and dreadful with a conductor without the expertise to handle it Eschenbach studied under George Szell...which should be enough said.

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

Sounds like you had a great time Dave.

Know your venue...absolutely G'd@#n right! The acoustics are always the worst when I sit under the mezzanine or balcony as the sound - especially complex orchestras or rock is compressed and thick. The back of the hall also sucks whether on the orchestra level or balcony as the sound is often too boomy. My sweet spot is centered, at least 1/3 back from the stage and the same from the rear of the auditorium as long as its open (nothing above). I've particularly come to appreciate the balance from the 1st 3 rows of the mezzanine and the fact that most of the time, the tickets are cheaper is a bonus for me. Carry on...

• Moderators
Anyway, a great night and I was very proud of my 12 year old son. He not only didn't hate it, but enjoyed several parts. Said he wondered why the two harps didn't play...so I think he dozed through that as it was in a long quiet passage about half way through. They were actually spectacular.

Good for him, glad he enjoyed it, just to be there to witness it makes it special even if he missed a little, at 12 he's doing great.

That a lot or performers and 5 curtain calls is great, that must have been amazing and shocking for everyone involved.

wvu80, that is probably as close to a "definitive" Mahler 8th as exists. Given the nature of the piece, there will be new takes...but Bernstein set a pretty high score to beat. The antiphonal brass is stunning...BEGS for REAL 4 channel recording and playback.

Dave

Great Review Dave,

I am lucky that I live near San Francisco. Michael Tilson Thomas is rightfully considered one of the best presenters of Mahler and I believe the Sf Symphonies recording of the 8th is perhaps his shinning moment. He built this orchestra to perform Mahler and the recordings available through the symphony do not disappoint.

Another Mahler head reporting for duty!

Our modest local symphony joined forced with another local symphony & chorus to stage the #2 a few months back. Great soloists and chorus. The orchestra...not so much.

I've been in Jones Hall once but it was for an amplified Weather Report concert. Heckuva lot nicer than our nasty space.

wvu80, that is probably as close to a "definitive" Mahler 8th as exists.

It is stunning. I hadn't given the 8th much attention before now, thinking it was somewhat overblown, but I think I have been underrating it. I ordered both the Bernstein and MTThomas DVD's. Thanks!

Thomas and the SFS have been issuing an excellent series of DVD's called "Keeping Score," each of which includes an added one-hour documentary on historical, cultural, and locational items of interest related to the music! The Mahler 8th has recently been added to this series.

The Keeping Score series also includes the Shostakovich 5th symphony, which Jeff Matthews recently saw in Houston and wrote up on the forum.

Edited by LarryC

The Mahler 8th has recently been added to this series.

Outstanding...the PAW was VERY confused about the mixture of Faust, liturgy, and impressionist poetry (IMHO, Mahler shows evidence of impressionist tendencies in this work), and such and we missed the pre-concert lecture. Have to get that.

Dave

My profound apologies, Dave -- I don't know how I misread it, but the SFS Keeping Score album is Mahler's 1st, not Mahler's 8th. I hope you didn't order based on my mistake. I expect you can send it back for a refund (Amazon makes it easy, but I don't know about the SFS online store). Let me know if I can send you a check to make you whole, whether it's just return shipping or the whole thing.

The SFS documentary on Mahler seems to be interesting, although I've skipped over it for now since I'm not that interested in the First.

Again, I apologize for that mistake. I don't know if there are any books on the Eighth.

Larry