Trying new tweeters

While dropping by Parts Express yesterday to pick up a woofer they were re-coning to go into my up coming quarter pie build, I picked up three Selenium D220TI drivers and HM-25-25 horns. I had read in couple of places that these make very nice tweeters and PE is close enough that returns are easy. I currently use the Crites CT125 across the front of my main system. Without any EQing I dropped the 3 new tweets in place of the CT125s last night for fun and was pleasantly surprised with the sound. Seemed like better detail/clarity with the Selenium, and a better match to the Volti horns. These are big drivers and horns compared with the CT125. Price was good as well, $50 for driver, $25 for horn. The D220TI are the 16ohm version. A4500 crossovers on all speakers.

post-26564-0-17020000-1399734563_thumb.j

post-26564-0-37060000-1399734584_thumb.j

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

you can't go wrong with Beyma CP-25. I never heard anything better among hi-eff tweeters. Volti horns are also controlled directivity in the working area and if you have a Khorn as bassbin, you'll have a room-width sweet point! CP-25 is also pretty uniform in directivity. actually I think CP-25 is a part of Volti magic.

An entire octave of additional overlap will be pretty audible, both from the additional energy as well as the comb filtering.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass, I was just trying to get you to think about it.

• Like 2

tromprof

If you switch from the 16 ohm to the 8 ohm version, I believe you will get a 3dB increase in volume. I found that attenuating the D220TI was necessary, as it delivers 109dB at 2.83 volts.

You may or may not like the increase in volume.

Mike

You live close, pay for the resistors, and I'll install some nice L-pads for you (no charge). Just shoot me an email if you're interested. It will sound better, honest.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 3

You live close, pay for the resistors, and I'll install some nice L-pads for you (no charge). Just shoot me an email if you're interested. It will sound better, honest.

Dean, very generous offer. I will send you an email.

So I swapped the 16 ohm for 8 ohm and got two more pairs for the side La Scalas. After running MCACC I had my wife the violinist come down and listen. We were both impressed with the level of detail we were hearing. I really think this is a good alternative to the CT125, though obviously not a drop in replacement.

You will, of course, provide resultant response magnitude plots to demonstrate the acoustic output levels are as anticipated.

Edited by John Warren

So I swapped the 16 ohm for 8 ohm and got two more pairs for the side La Scalas. After running MCACC I had my wife the violinist come down and listen. We were both impressed with the level of detail we were hearing. I really think this is a good alternative to the CT125, though obviously not a drop in replacement.

With a few exceptions, the bigger the horn, the better the horn.

You will, of course, provide resultant response magnitude plots to demonstrate the acoustic output levels are as anticipated.

I'm glad to see you guys can still have fun in the middle of all this. Thumbs up!