S O L D Danley SH50

artto

I have an extra (one) Danley Sound Labs SH50 for sale.

I bought three of these but later decided I didn't want (or need) a phantom center channel with these speakers for stereo music listening (no HT), especially since they are being used on the short wall.

It's barely used, essentially as new condition. It weighs 142 LBS without crate/box. I would prefer local pickup. If you want it shipped you'll have to arrange for pickup & shipping. I'll post some pictures later but rest assured it's in absolutely perfect condition.

ASKING $3000. (hint, hint)

Cash or PayPal. Chicago area.

Edited by artto

• 6 months later...
That is an interesting design concept with multiple drivers firing into a horn. Never seen anything like that before. Pretty cool.

Danley's patent dates back about 12-14 years. I own the original. This one is more refined and considered the current "flagship" of the company. Everything else is bigger/smaller/different from this one, but it's still the reference standard for all the others to equal. 

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Artto,

Your Avatar shows 2 Khorns and a center of some sort (LaScala?).

How are you using a pair of these, since the wall in your Avatar is really wide. Different room? What sub are you using with the SH-50's?

I have TD-1's which are 60x40 instead of 50x50 with the same driver complement. They have THE most solid center image I've ever heard. I have a Runt center and people freak out when I unplug it to show them it's not on, since the vocals are dead center with a 14 foot sound stage from only 9 feet away!

• Like 1

Claude, both you and Chris have finally opened Pandora's Box so I might as well let it all out.

In my avatar the center speaker is a Belle Klipsch. The Khorns and Belle are now in the room with my HO model railroad. It's nice to have some good sounding music in there for once.

The SH50 are now in the room shown in my avatar. Initially I set up the SH50 (three of them) just like the Khorns & Belle. Since then I've moved the SH50 to the short wall (former side wall) which is a little less than 20'. The front center of the SH50 are about 5' from the front wall and 2'-6" from the side walls. The front of the SH50 are about 12'-6" from the listening position. This leaves me with 10' behind me to the rear wall. They are toed in 35 degrees.

As you all know, when we get to this level, to each of us "It's the best I've ever heard" and I am no exception. I spent several days at AXPONA this year and last. I didn't hear anything better regardless of price, and not as good for the most part, even in very large rooms.

Claude, as you said, "I have a Runt center and people freak out when I unplug it to show them it's not on".

I had a similar experience with a friend who was very familiar with my Khorn/Belle setup. I was playing the remastered Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick" for him using two SH50. Finally he says "Are you using a center speaker?" I ask him "Do you see one?". He says, "Well, no. But the sound is so three-dimensional, and everything is exactly where it should be."  I just shook my head and grinned.

I'm using four Epik Empire subs (2x15, 600rms/1500peak each). Two are in the rear corners. The other two are the "base" for the SH50. I put a 6" collar between the SH50 and sub.

I still have all my McIntosh, Audio Research, Luxman tube and Wright 2A3 SET but I'm using a NAD C390DD now. All the other amps sound dull, opaque and grainy in comparison. I never dreamed a tube amp could sound grainy compared to a digital amp but that is what I hear with the C390. I haven't heard anything better regardless of price or pedigree. And it has greatly simplified my system set up. I use a laptop PC/J River Media Center as the digital source using HDMI 192Khz/24bit directly to the C390. Absolutely no analog in the signal path. I use a Galaxy TAB2 7" tablet with Splashtop as a remote control for the laptop/J River.

The SH50 produce such a well-controlled broadband wave front that I've found I don't need as much acoustical treatment in the room because there's not as much initial sound reflecting off room surfaces on it's way to the ears, so much of the sound absorption in the room has been removed. All the bass traps remain. I plan on installing quadratic residue diffusers on the front and rear walls and a pair of RPG diffsorbers above the seating area.

Edited by artto
  • Like 1

I had a similar experience with a friend who was very familiar with my Khorn/Belle setup. I was playing the remastered Jethro Tull "Thick As A Brick" for him using two SH50. Finally he says "Are you using a center speaker?" I ask him "Do you see one?". He says, "Well, no. But the sound is so three-dimensional, and everything is exactly where it should be."  I just shook my head and grinned.

It's nice to know that others are experiencing results similar to my own when hearing Deanley's U.S.A. technology (Unity Summation Aperture) horns. In my case it really takes the crappy room I have out of the equation and reveals certain depths and ambience I never heard before now on all my favorite music.............but you gotta have subs with any of them to finish the job. 7 drivers in a small horn can do amazing things indeed.

Even though I'm a horn guy all the way, direct radiator subs are better than no subs with any of the Danley SH variations. If you multiply 50x50 sound dispersion angles (their current flagship) and 60x40 (the original that appeared in all the patent docs) you get 250 and 240 respectively with the similar driver complements and Xovers. When they go with a wider beam angle, the SPL is less for a given input since your spreading the sound out more in the room and, perhaps adding to the early reflections which smear the image. In my case, there is a "head in the vise" sweet spot, but boy is it sweet. Since I'm a solo listener, it doesn't matter. If I wanted no sweet spot, I would also have CBT DR speakers, which I still may do.

In the meantime, I'm seriously thinking of doing the latest PPSL subs designed by DJK. 4 inexpensive 12" driver per cab, slot loaded to near horn efficiency of 103 db, they would be a perfect match for the SH/USA horns and can be crossed passively with bi-amping to separate the loads. Unlike horn subs, they would not need active Xovers since no time delay would be required. 4 12's has the Sd of twin 18's and the slot load would keep the excursion/distortion to a ridiculously low level in an 8 cubic foot box.

Your sale is a good deal for someone and the only problem left would be to have to purchase a second one from Danley at full price, but definitely worth it, since the EFFECTIVE $1,000 discount leaves enough money on the table for some good subwoofage like yours to complete a killer 2.2 setup like you have.

Good luck with the sale.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 1 month later...