You think it can't happen to you...

eth2

You never think it will happen to you until it does. Yesterday my SSD crapped out. ALL MY FILES WERE ON THAT DAMN DRIVE AND WERE NOT BACKED UP. I lost some critical documents. After hours of beating myself up, I called my son and asked if he had any friends at school who were computer magicians. Fortunately for me, there was one. I brought the disk to them and in two hours my critical files had been extracted. This was after calling three computer shops who told me I was looking a several hundred dollars for them to even try to save the files.

So I have bought a new SSD and am reloading all my software, I WILL BACK UP TO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM NOW ON!

Fortunately for me, there was one. I brought the disk to them and in two hours my critical files had been extracted.
Outstanding.... I'm glad that you were able to make this happen.... :emotion-21:
  • Like 1

I had the same thing happen a couple of months ago... I now have anything I want to keep backed up to my NAS. All my fifes are spread over several HDDs, and if I ever lose one HDD it will rebuild the new drive when I replace the bad one. I did this because we have all of our BR disc ripped to the HDD and all of our music. Ripping all the docs, pics, etc was a side benefit.

Make sure you make more than 1 backup!

• Like 1

Fortunately for me, there was one. I brought the disk to them and in two hours my critical files had been extracted.
Outstanding.... I'm glad that you were able to make this happen.... :emotion-21:

I suppose as a last result you could have called the NSA.... Most likely they have a copy of all your reports and records.... :o

• Like 4

I suppose as a last result you could have called the NSA.... Most likely they have a copy of all your reports and records.... :o

That's one way to get something out of your tax dollars! :D

Glad you are back in business.

Computer gurus, I'm curious. Would a Raid setup give you the redundancy you'd need to overcome this type of situation, or would the failure wipe out both drives.?

Edited by thebes
  • Like 1

Computer gurus, I'm curious. Would a Raid setup give you the redundancy you'd need to overcome this type of situation, or would the failure wipe out both drives.?

I use UnRaid for my NAS... I like it for these reasons.

1: All the drives do not have to be the same make, model, or size

2. It uses a Parity drive which must be the same size or larger than any single drive in the NAS. The Parity drive will repair any drive that has failed when you put the new drive in. No data loss.

3. It is inexpensive and easy to get going

4. You can use as many old HDDs as you can find (that are good) to build the NAS real cheap.

5. Pricing for software is very inexpensive... http://lime-technology.com/registration-keys/

6. You can build it from an old PC you have laying around (I am using a Intel Atom MB)... So you don't need a lot of power

7. It can run off of a USB stick.

Edited by ellisr63

My storage unit suffered water damage. We put our life on hold for one winter to secure work, and poof, the majority of the stuff is trashed when we returned a few months later.

Stank, corroded nastiness.

It's extra hard when you don't have much to start out with. It's not like we were hoarding random junk in there. Lost a lot of esoteric (expensive) technical literature, some pictures, a good bit of clothing, and nearly all of the furniture.

The pair of La Scala that were stored in there were survived only by the fact that I had wrapped them tighter than Michelle Pfeiffer as cat woman . :ph34r2:

I keep three back ups on separate devices not including the one on my most current computer...

Never had an issue, yet. :P

About 5 years ago I had one of my backup drives fail... The other drive failed the next week! :(

Anything but a raid 0 would. Back when I was setting up servers, we used either raid 1 or raid 5. Now days, raid is built into motherboards, so no additional hardware with the exception of (an) additional hard drive(s) of the same make/model is (are) needed.

I have lost lots of data due to lightning damage. Once I shipped a dead drive to California, and they couldn't even recover anything even after disassembling the drive in a clean room. In the industry, that is what we call "bricking" hardware.

Every year for Christmas my daughter gets a 16 GB (or bigger) thumb drive which contains all 5,000 photos of our family. She lives in another town, so even if a bomb wipes out my city, the most pictures she would miss out on would be those from the last year.

+++

I did not know that a "dead" SSD could be recovered, that's good to know. I have taken dead HDD's apart and physically spun-up the platter to get it into a recoverable state. I think you caught a break, Earl.

• Like 2

I just went to SSDs and read to only use them for the OS, not to store files because if they fail it is virtually impossible to retrieve files (you were lucky it seems).

I like it simple so Raid 1 (Mirror) is what I use, plus plenty of back ups of that. Build a good NAS and keep regular backups of that.

Here is a trick that I use to utilize extra space for even more redundancy. Most HD's are huge now. Create a partition for your os, and create another partition for backups. Then, using Synctoy (or similar software) have it "echo" your important files that are on the NAS to the extra space on your HD. This way you have a mirror pair in the RAID, plus an extra copy on the computer's internal HD. If you have a SSD, just save the original HD that came with the computer and use that for the backup (assuming desktop).

I can't tell you how many times I have accidentially saved changes to a file that I did not want to change, or had a corrupted file, and I can easily just go the the computer's extra backup drive and very quickly grab the file from the day before.

You never think it will happen to you until it does. Yesterday my SSD crapped out. ALL MY FILES WERE ON THAT DAMN DRIVE AND WERE NOT BACKED UP. I lost some critical documents. After hours of beating myself up, I called my son and asked if he had any friends at school who were computer magicians. Fortunately for me, there was one. I brought the disk to them and in two hours my critical files had been extracted. This was after calling three computer shops who told me I was looking a several hundred dollars for them to even try to save the files.

So I have bought a new SSD and am reloading all my software, I WILL BACK UP TO AN EXTERNAL DRIVE FROM NOW ON!

Just lost my server HD. System has been running fine. Powered it down to add more storage. The main drive never came back. I was lucky and only have the OS on the main drive. All my data is kept on separate drives.