Found you a BBQ smoker!

JL Sargent

MY wife on a grill? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA :emotion-29: HAHAHHAHA

I'll have to hand it to mine, she does well. I'll come home from work and she'll be just about done with supper on the grill. Boudain, salmon, burgers, chicken breast or possibly pork loin. If she had to grill with coals, it would never happen. The coal grills are used on the weekends with cocktails and music :emotion-46::emotion-29:

OT Carl, if you see you guys coming down this summer I could use some help with the sub integration. Might even be a brew involved since I'll be a geo bachelor but only coals on the grill.

Compromises, that's what it's all about.

Cooking on gas is simply quick and easy.

Cooking with wood tastes the best and is the most work.

Cooking with charcoal somewhere in between those first two.

Cooking with 100% hickory wood pellets in a smoker designed for it is almost as easy as gas and is cooking with wood.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Cooking with 100% hickory wood pellets in a smoker designed for it is almost as easy as gas and is cooking with wood.

Never had one but from everything I read your exactly right, pellet poopers work very well and consistently without a lot of attention.

Are the pellets expensive and do you go through a lot ? I know it would depend on the size of the smoker but just on average, I have no idea.

That pic is funny, that dude is standing there on the side of that very fancy smoker trying to look tough. :lol:

Edited by dtel

"Are the pellets expensive and do you go through a lot ?"

The cheapest I have bought the pellets is 50 cents a lb. The highest I paid was 75 cents.

My smoker uses about a pound an hour at the most. I smoke spare ribs for 6 hours so the cost in pellets to cook those ribs is approx. $3 to $5

I recently bought two 40lb bags of 100% hickory pellets off Amazon with free delivery for $50.00 total. Those 80lbs of pellets should produce about 80 hrs of smoking. Now that is lots of good smoked meat right there!

OT Carl, if you see you guys coming down this summer I could use some help with the sub integration. Might even be a brew involved since I'll be a geo bachelor but only coals on the grill.

Hmmmm. I might come solo then. I'll bring my SPL meter and CD with test tones.

I am so stuck on using charcoal (and large wood chunks for smoke jobs) that a gas grill seems out of the question for me. We do have one but it's for my better half as she likes to participate by preparing side dishes and veggies on it while I smoke away on an oversized Weber. Might try a pellet smoker some day, but I like the Weber's versatility of being able to smoke or grill, depending on what's cookin'.

• Moderators
The cheapest I have bought the pellets is 50 cents a lb. The highest I paid was 75 cents. My smoker uses about a pound an hour at the most. I smoke spare ribs for 6 hours so the cost in pellets to cook those ribs is approx. $3 to $5

Thanks, that's not bad at all, I had no idea how much they used, It's a little more efficient that I was thinking.

• Moderators

I will be skipping the pellets and going straight to an offset style, which also offers the choice of grilling or using the side box for smoking.

That's the style I have used but the first one I built was not setup for grilling and was really way to big. I ended up selling it and built one much smaller, almost to small it can still do 4 butts. It's just when I do a bunch of chicken or burgers for family get togethers it sometimes takes two batches.

The second one I built was to replace a gas grill and I just added a offset firebox for smoking. I still wanted gas for times I wanted to just cook something fast. One thing I found was having gas also was nice after a long cook like pork butts I just light the burners and all the fat that dripped off catches on fire and burns off.

Just to clarify. This pellet smoker I have can reach 700 Deg. F. on the hot side. I can go from a grill / sear all the way down to a cold smoke like you could use to make beef jerky if you want. It has a cast iron grill over the hot side LOL. See picture.

post-32707-0-47000000-1401386802_thumb.j

• Moderators

I will be skipping the pellets and going straight to an offset style, which also offers the choice of grilling or using the side box for smoking.

Just be careful, most of the models they sell at the big box stores leak really bad from all over and are about impossible to control the temps from what I have read.

I just used one in Atlanta at my brother's for some ribs and had no problems. It was a small one. It did have some dangerous design elements in the side box. Temp control was easy though. When I upgrade it will be from one of the custom makers around here like that guy Trigg from Alvarado you see on the pit masters competitions. I would insist on a moveable grate for grilling purposes to get closer to or farther away from the fire, and of course a side box and vent system for temp control. I pretty much know what I want, it is just a matter of time when I get it. I applied the same acquisition method for my amp and preamp, that took awhile from target to acquisition.

• Moderators
I just used one in Atlanta at my brother's for some ribs and had no problems.

I would think some are good, but I wouldn't know how to tell one from another in the long run. But I have read many did so many mods to get the temps controllable it was hardly worth the trouble with the money saved from initial cost.

There are so many people making pits in Texas I would shop carefully your in the best place to look considering this is not something you would want to ship

It's about 3 and a half hours from you but there's a place called LONE STAR GRILZ that will build anything you want. I bought my wife a fire pit from them for Christmas 2 years ago. The build quality is impressive. If you can't get what you want locally, you might look into them.

Thanks. It does look like good work. And for the investment not all that farther if I went with them. Like I said, I will take my time so I am happy for a long time.