Found you a BBQ smoker!

JL Sargent

It looks like they've moved locations from when I went to get mine. They were in a large metal building behind the owners house. When I got out of the truck, it sounded like Frankenstein's laboratory with all the electrical arcing going on. They were building like crazy as it was close to Christmas. Business must be good.

I just used one in Atlanta at my brother's for some ribs and had no problems.

I would think some are good, but I wouldn't know how to tell one from another in the long run. But I have read many did so many mods to get the temps controllable it was hardly worth the trouble with the money saved from initial cost.

There are so many people making pits in Texas I would shop carefully your in the best place to look considering this is not something you would want to ship

I bought a MAK 2 Star General with Wi-Fi a couple months ago and love it. It holds the temp to +/- 5 deg. I get my pellets at http://bbqrsdelight.com/. If you buy 400 - 480 # you can get hickory for $7/20# bag. It cost me $108 shipping from Pine Bluff AR to Lebanon TN for 480 #. Oh, You will have to call Candy at the # on contact page to get this pricing.

Link to video on the Wi-Fi Controller.

No, I don't have any association with them other than as a happy customer. :D

rigma

Edited by rigma

Igrill. Blu tooth to your phone. I have 2 other old school wireless setups, but this one has good range and is by far the best so far. It comes with two probes too.

igrill-630.jpg

Doh! Looks like there is a new version out. Igrill2

igrill2.jpg

Edited by Max2

I just go from experience, and test when it looks right. Works for me. What are you guys? Scientists?

Its the only way to cook a big butt, shoulder or brisket. I need a probe telling me what the temp is in the center of a 15-20lb shoulder after its been in a smoker for 8 hours. This thing makes it a breeze and will even play may favorite song when it reaches the temp I desire. Now that is something that needs a Klipsch logo on it :)

• Moderators

I just go from experience, and test when it looks right. Works for me. What are you guys? Scientists?

Its the only way to cook a big butt, shoulder or brisket. I need a probe telling me what the temp is in the center of a 15-20lb shoulder after its been in a smoker for 8 hours. This thing makes it a breeze and will even play may favorite song when it reaches the temp I desire. Now that is something that needs a Klipsch logo on it :)

Exactly, internal temp is the only way to get it right every time and the easiest way.

The first time I smoked a pork butt I thought I burned it to a crisp it looked like charcoal but the temperature said is was right, and it was perfect.

With whole pork loin stop it at 140 degrees (or a little below that) and it will be perfect, higher only make it dry and tough, try one at 138-140 it's unbelievable, the texture of a good steak.

• Moderators

I understand. But I seem to get better results without the temp probe than with. Just me I guess, I have tried both. I'd hate to have to be dependent on those things.

The more I do it the better Idea I have of how close things are to being done, I usually don't use the probe until it's 3/4 the way done anyway.

For me It's used only on the bigger pieces of meat and chicken. Undercooked chicken scares me more than any meat, it's about the biggest mistake you can make to make people sick. What bothers me is smoking give a different look than grilling and I have a harder time telling when things are ready when it's been cooking for hours.

I can live with it being dry or overcooked much easier than being sick.

If you start with quality meat and cook to an accurate temp then no "luck" required really. A big brisket or turkey really needs to be temp checked to get them right. Just too easy to under/over cook those IMHO. Around here a quality whole brisket is $50.00. I'm not taking any chances.

I understand. But I seem to get better results without the temp probe than with. Just me I guess, I have tried both. I'd hate to have to be dependent on those things.

To me there is nothing worse than stripping and culling the fat of an undercooked shoulder/butt. It gets slimy in the center... Yuck. Since I smoke Ribs, Sausage, Chicken and who knows what all at once, I never know how long my box has held what temp and for how long. Although having the probe tells you exactly the temp is with the larger cuts. No one breaks out the probe for ribs and what not, but the big chunks are the only way to cook. Maybe your probe is broke. I have had a one or two that damn near drove me crazy with inaccurate readings.

To me there is nothing worse than stripping and culling the fat of an undercooked shoulder/butt. It gets slimy in the center... Yuck. Since I smoke Ribs, Sausage, Chicken and who knows what all at once, I never know how long my box has held what temp and for how long. Although having the probe tells you exactly the temp is with the larger cuts. No one breaks out the probe for ribs and what not, but the big chunks are the only way to cook. Maybe your probe is broke. I have had a one or two that damn near drove me crazy with inaccurate readings.

You can check your probe in a pan of boiling water.

rigma

• Like 1

• Moderators
No one breaks out the probe for ribs and what not, but the big chunks are the only way to cook.

Just my experiences.......and this is around 12 hours smoking.

I agree, for pork butts I have tried 190 degrees and it was still fatty and some tough pieces.

Pork butts at 195-197 perfect, most of the fat has cooked off with enough left to not be dry and pulls easy.

Pork butts at 200 and it's starting to get a little dry

I know it's only a few degrees but it may be over a hour cooking time and the end result is completely different.

Edited by dtel

No one breaks out the probe for ribs and what not, but the big chunks are the only way to cook.

Just my experiences.......and this is around 12 hours smoking.

I agree, for pork butts I have tried 190 degrees and it was still fatty and some tough pieces.

Pork butts at 195-197 perfect, most of the fat has cooked off with enough left to not be dry and pulls easy.

Pork butts at 200 and it's starting to get a little dry

I know it's only a few degrees but it may be over a hour cooking time and the end result is completely different.

I think you're spot on dtel. I like my shoulders done. Now the tenderloins I like a little more wet. Anymore I really try and avoid the shoulders just from the cook time and work involved unless its for a friend or my mom. Now I don't mind doing the extra time for a good beef brisket though!