Lee Catanoid Cornerhorn

Schu

just talked to this guy... I am actually a little excited, he's got one... so good for mono, he said it is in great original condition but has no way of hooking it up. it's originally from north carolina and is willing to deal on the listed price.

My spider senses are tingling but I am not 100% sure yet. 30hz@ -30db is not that great, obviously... but I am wondering if that is really a big deal for a mono setep running 78rpm records?

Edited by Schu

just talked to this guy... I am actually a little excited, he's got one... so good for mono, he said it is in great original condition but has no way of hooking it up. it's originally from north carolina and is willing to deal on the listed price.

My spider senses are tingling but I am not 100% sure yet. 30hz@ -30db is not that great, obviously... but I am wondering if that is really a big deal for a mono setep running 78rpm records?

I would let the fact that it didn't hit 30 hz or even if it didn't hit 40 hz stop me from buying this one. Lansing mids University highs and lows... Can't go wrong and you will have a very rare and cool speaker.

interesting...id have to avoid and get with some klipsch khorns(save up a bit more if need be)

that's always been my plan... :P

Right on! i need corners....good corners these days are actually more difficult to come by than a good pair of khorns...

These you show in the thread are interesting though....I wonder how many "cornerhorns" were made based on the klipsch khorn design...seems like quite a few..

• Like 1

that's why... las vegas.

I am still looking to build a mono setup

http://www.itishifi.com/2010/03/catenoid-loudspeaker-1956-1960.html

Thanks Moray I adjusted images to be a little easier to read. These are pretty rare and a great find.. If it hits 30hz it is about 30db down.

Schu,

Your question shows my hand in playing the age card. Lee Catenoid.....

In 1972 I bought a book named Hi-Fi Loudspeakers and Enclosures by Abraham B. Cohen. Among other things Old Abe served as VP of Engineering for University Sound a division of LTV-Altec. It was a 1968 revision of the original 1956 copy and became the audio primer of my youth.

Side Bar: Paul Thayer was CEO of LTV-Altec and a family friend of my wife. Got to hang with him a bit in the early-mid '70's. As it was the early '70's :tongue: all I remember is his three Khorn (center) system., the monster stacks of Mac amps and the stuffed things he had killed in Africa. Anyway, google this guy. His life was.......

Sorry back on track: Included in this old book rough plans were for Khorns, the University horn, some WE designs, A7's AND the Catenoid horn. The down firing horn looked pretty cool at the time.

tc