Pioneer Elite, Emotiva & Outlaw Audio owners input Greatly Appreciated!

tnr

Yes, I am going to keep the Outlaw amp hooked up as is with the 7 speaker setup and use the Elite SC-63 as the processor. Great point Inventor regarding the Fusion 8100. For only $100 more, that would be the way to go, instead of the UMC-200. Having picked up the Elite as a package, I am going to use it rather than spend money on a new processor. Are any of you using two pairs of front speakers and using the Front Height or Front Wide feature of the Elite? My room is a challenge with a 11 foot opening into another room, so I have my RF-7's about 13' apart. I assume the Elite passes equal full front signals to both Front outputs? I have a pair of RB-81's I thought I would use as 2nd Fronts, just to either side of the TV. If I use the pre-amp outs on the Elite for the main 7 channel outputs to my Outlaw, can I use one of the Elite's front outputs and assign more power than 125W to them. For instance, can I assign 200 or 250, or is it dedicated 125 x 7. Do you think I would be enhancing the sound stage by adding the RB-81's, or would it be overkill. Thanks all for your input and suggestions. I am on hold due to my current stand limitations and potential lack of ventilation, and I need to replace my TV, so I am going to hold off until I get the new TV, and do it all at that time. My old Outlaw processor has minimal ventilation holes on top, so my DVD player sits on top without any problems. I can't set the player on the Elite, so I opened another can of worms.

I use FH speakers power by the SC 35 since the Acurus amp is only a 5 channel amp. None of the surrounds really require monsteous power, so no benefit in getting them additional power unless their trim level is maxed out. I ran a Surrond Back speakers at one point but, due to room constraing I went down to a 7.2 system. I really don't mis the surround back speakers. I use FH and not FW because it is my belife that surroung speakers need space from adjacent speakers to really work correctly since they deliver spatial cues.

Now that we've moved into a place that has much more favorable acoustics, my system really has the Panasonic feature-set maxed out.

At this point, I could really use the EQ and resolution of the DSP features available in the Pioneer product. The extra 3 dB of horse power in the engine room wouldn't hurt either, but I'm really at the end of the rope in terms of processing capability with the Panasonic with such a big room. Especially in combination with the different speakers.

Might be splitting hairs sonically, but it's time for me practice what I preach, and officially step into the D3 arena.

• Like 1

Now that we've moved into a place that has much more favorable acoustics, my system really has the Panasonic feature-set maxed out.

At this point, I could really use the EQ and resolution of the DSP features available in the Pioneer product. The extra 3 dB of horse power in the engine room wouldn't hurt either, but I'm really at the end of the rope in terms of processing capability with the Panasonic with such a big room. Especially in combination with the different speakers.

Might be splitting hairs sonically, but it's time for me practice what I preach, and officially step into the D3 arena.

Sometimes stores have the last year model for a great price. Cosco also has some.

Edited by derrickdj1

Cosco also has some.
Ah yes, thanks for the reminder! We tag along with the in-laws (they are members) from time to time so we can buy those awesome muffins. Keep forgetting there's some electronic kit there too.

Got my cross-hairs set on the SC-68.

I'll make sure to check it out. :emotion-21:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys. I opened up a can of worms (your cue Boxx) within my own system constraints when I started this thread. You can likely relate...introduce another component when you have limited stand/rack space, Due to lack of stand & ventilation space, I decided to sell the Elite SC-63, although I am not at peace with the decision. I have searched the internet up & down for a new stand, but keep coming up short. Thought about building a custom stand, and still may. Meanwhile, I have the Elite SC-63 sitting idle, so why not get some $ and pass it on to someone that will put it to good use. The main things I am missing with my 11 year old processor is the new BD formats (DTS Master Audio and Dolby True HD), and HDMI connectivity. I already invested in the analog cables that I am using, but HDMI would clean up a lot of cables. I would still need them for SACD/DVDA anyway, right? I concluded I am not missing what I have not experienced, and can be content for awhile longer, and when the time comes, get a new processor. Derrick, Schu, & others that are using the Elite AVR's please chime in again if you think the Elite's processing is top notch for the money. Like you said, it's a waste not using the amplifier section. I also thought about using the Elite only, and pulling both my 7 x 200 channel Outlaw amp & processor out, but that seems like a step backwards with the amp power. Thanks for your input!

l like the DSP on the Pioneer Elite avr's. A pure audiophile may like separates. I like the avr/amp combo. I don't feel a need for analog to a BR player and the music is great. I only use digital music. My BDP has 7.1 analog. I use my system mainly for music. I have changed a lot of gear, amps, speakers, and subs since I joined the forum but, the Pioneer Elite as never been a consideration. It is a personal thing on which way to go to reach audio nirvana. I am at the point, speakers, amps, avr are all great and moving will most like be a lateral move for me.

I have compare my system to a lot of gear and am very content. I even sold my McIntosh integrated amp. Most likely my next avr will be a Pioneer Elite. I have owned Onkyo, Denon and some other brands for comparison. As far as subs, MCACC is fine. The reverb function and the standing wave are just as important as sub EQ IMHO. A mini DSP can be easily put in the system for addition sub EQ.

Edited by derrickdj1

It is done automatically when you run Full MCACC or Auto MCACC. If you are using 2 or more subs, then the three position standing wave will give a more even respone for multiple seats. This is under Manual ch, EQ pro, Advanced EQ, Stand. Wave Multi-P. This works in the time domain/phase area along with standing wave correction and reverb control. This has really helped me get the bass right in room since none of my subs are symmetrically placed and I mix sealed and vented subs.

In MCACC, under data check, there is a standing wave, this will show 3 filters and sub trim. The values will change if the mic is used in 3 positions in the Advance EQ, standing wave multi-p.

Edited by derrickdj1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Elite VSX 53 and I'm running to the Emotiva XPA 5.

I think it probably is a bit of overkill like Schu said, but I was able to get a great deal on the receiver and so that swung the pendulum for me.

How do you like the combo of the VSX53 and Emotiva amp? I've been think about getting one in the near future for my VSX53 to push my RF5s better. My room is 18X23 with 20 ft high ceilings. So I am wondering an amp will help. Right now I have to turn the receiver up a little to hear things at comfortable level.

• Like 1

I have an Elite VSX 53 and I'm running to the Emotiva XPA 5.

I think it probably is a bit of overkill like Schu said, but I was able to get a great deal on the receiver and so that swung the pendulum for me.

How do you like the combo of the VSX53 and Emotiva amp? I've been think about getting one in the near future for my VSX53 to push my RF5s better. My room is 18X23 with 20 ft high ceilings. So I am wondering an amp will help. Right now I have to turn the receiver up a little to hear things at comfortable level.

I like it a lot. This is my first venture into the world of separates. People have complained, rightfully so, about the noise levels on the Emotiva. I can hear a slight hum when I power it up. It does not increase or decrease with the volume (when nothing is playing), but it's there. It's not an obnoxious level for me. When music or movies are playing I can't hear it at all and the amp just sings!

Now I may one day become more finicky, but for now I love the lack of effort from the amp to fill the room with great sound.

I would think with high ceilings, you'd really like it.

I'm a novices novice so take that with a great grain of salt, but for the price, I'm very happy.

Truthfully my greatest annoyance is the Pioneer iPad app that is so hit and miss. I LOVE being able to tweak sound on the fly and when it works, the app is great, but it works about 10% of the time. (different issue for a different question)

• 1 month later...

O.K., this project has been on hold, but next week I will be swapping out my Outlaw processor (it is acting up) with the Elite SC-63 and using the pre-outs from the Elite to my Outlaw 200W x 7 amp.  I will initially use all 7 channels of my Outlaw amp and none of the Elite's.  But soon I will bi-amp my RF-7 mains and RC-7 center using 6 of the Outlaw amps, and then use the Elite for side and rear channels, per Derrick's recommendation.  Thanks Derrick!  I am shopping for  Y splitters and would love to hear what you guys are using for those...brands, material etc... I have some cheap gray Radio Schack Y splitters but I would prefer to use higher quality.  I have very good quality Outlaw PCA pure copper cables.  I have checked out Monoprice, Bettercables.com and Parts Express.  Appears there are from one extreme cheap couple buck cables to pricey stuff.  I will need 6 Y splitters.  Recommendations welcome!  Thanks!

I was checking them out too...BlueJeanscable.com.  I don't have XLR, just standard RCA.  Are you referring to these...can't find a good description on their site.  I will call them.  

One-foot Y cable, 1 Male/2 Female RCA $10.0

I don't need 400 watts, but bi-amping 200 to LF and HF should yield better results, and I already have the amp power.

I use splitters from BB or Radio Shack.  Roughly, $4.00.  The distance involved is so short for a splitter that there should be no loss in SQ.  I also split my sub out with these to four subs and no problems or splitters going bad in several year.  The Blue Jean cables look nice and are perfectly fine to use.  I run speakers set to small even though I am using an external 5 channel amp of 200 watts. I like the added LF below 80 Hz sent to the sub and summed with the other channels for better power management.