RF-7 SOUND MODS

I have a great pic showing the mod on my computer here at work. The problem is that I can't access photobucket here due to our firewall. I also can't post a pic because of the new forum imposed limit on pics posted. About all I could do is e-mail it to you, but it's pretty straight forward as described above.

Gotcha. So it will help reduce the brightness and shrillness of the horn.

Correct. It's an amazing little mod that I can take absolutely no credit for. The information was provided to me by Dean, he credited someone else for trying several different resistors until they came up with the correct value. I don't recall who he said did the leg work though.

Thanks! Got them ordered and I'm gonna give it a shot!

what exactly will these resistors do for the speaker?

What were you trying to accomplish with the silicone?

Minor thread grab: That was me with the silicone. :)

The answer for both me and him are the same, though; there is a harshness in that otherwise wonderful brilliant sound that bothered me like a dog to a dog whistle.

I fiddled with some cheap polyfil that finally padded that shrill sound out. I am a very happy camper at the moment. :)

I wouldn't mind trying the resistor mod, but I have a very different (older) speaker the CF-4, and my XO is really packed with stuff on the back of the binding post box.

post-58280-0-81300000-1402516989_thumb.j

post-58280-0-69700000-1402517120_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

Question about "dampening" the horns. What initially got me interested in this was the "scary nails guy video", this

Do you think this applies to the RF 7 II as well? I'm scared to try though because how would I get the Bitumex off again if I don't like the mod? :unsure:

I had seen that as well, and the author did a really nice video and most certainly excelled at using scissors in elementary school! :)

My horn treatment yielded a similar "knuckle-rap"result , but I have 20 year-old speakers and applying copious amounts of silicon seal was not likely to decrease its value.

If you check the various web sites for Klipsch you will find all sorts of strange ways to dampen the horns. I saw one where a guy applied about 2-3 POUNDS of some kind of modeling clay.

The bottom line is I really don't think you can hurt the sound by reducing unwanted vibration. In my case, I didn't hear a real-world difference between treated and untreated, but I still believe it was a worthwhile mod.

If you decide to go with the silicon seal like I did, but sure to PM me or let me know somehow, and I'll give you some specific tips on what to buy and how to apply it. It takes at least 24 hours per horn, so it is not cost effective for the factory to do that, but I have plenty of time for a cheap mod. :)

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

The resistor mod sounds interesting. I may be a victum of what Dean said. I like the sound of the RF 7's and don't find them harsh. With that said, a small mod that can be reversed may be worth a try. First I have to see how to get to the right board. Is there a step by step thread to guide you through the project with pictures?

Edited by derrickdj1

Is there a step by step thread to guide you through the project with pictures?

Not that I'm aware but maybe Philly will take some pics and document the process. I've pretty much given him everything he needs to know to do the mod. Taking the crossover out takes longer than the mod itself.

• Like 1

Not that I'm aware but maybe Philly will take some pics and document the process. I've pretty much given him everything he needs to know to do the mod. Taking the crossover out takes longer than the mod itself.

I'll take some pictures and post them. It does look pretty straight forward. I ordered the resistors, they should be here in a few days.

Edited by philly0116
  • Like 1

When I make mods, I really like to go slow and do some critical listening, making only one change at a time. That resistor mod absolutely sounds like the first thing I'd do, with some A/B comparisons between the modded and stock speakers.

But that's just me because I like to experiment and learn. I don't think most people are as obsessive-compulsive about such things as I am. B)

When I make mods, I really like to go slow and do some critical listening, making only one change at a time. That resistor mod absolutely sounds like the first thing I'd do, with some A/B comparisons between the modded and stock speakers.

But that's just me because I like to experiment and learn. I don't think most people are as obsessive-compulsive about such things as I am. B)

That's the smartest thing to do. One mod at a time and a lot of listening before and after. I believe philly0116 has had his speakers for a while and is very familiar with their sonic signature. He should really notice a difference once the volume is cranked up.

I had seen that as well, and the author did a really nice video and most certainly excelled at using scissors in elementary school! :)

My horn treatment yielded a similar "knuckle-rap"result , but I have 20 year-old speakers and applying copious amounts of silicon seal was not likely to decrease its value.

If you check the various web sites for Klipsch you will find all sorts of strange ways to dampen the horns. I saw one where a guy applied about 2-3 POUNDS of some kind of modeling clay.

The bottom line is I really don't think you can hurt the sound by reducing unwanted vibration. In my case, I didn't hear a real-world difference between treated and untreated, but I still believe it was a worthwhile mod.

If you decide to go with the silicon seal like I did, but sure to PM me or let me know somehow, and I'll give you some specific tips on what to buy and how to apply it. It takes at least 24 hours per horn, so it is not cost effective for the factory to do that, but I have plenty of time for a cheap mod. :)

I think I'll try the Bitumex, it's easily available in Switzerland/Germany. Silicon seal sounds too daunting for me at this point. :D

I'll take some picture and post them. It does look pretty straight forward. I ordered the resistors, they should be here in a few days.

That would be great. Also list the tools needed. The big thing is taking the speaker apart to get to the board.

• Like 1