RF-7 SOUND MODS

RC-7 too.

I said it was important to do, not that it would be easy to do. If you have the aptitude for this kind of thing, it's not that bad - but it's still a bit of a pain in the rear. It's not about my integrity, for I have an ulterior motive -- it's time consuming and not as easy as it looks. I figure at some point the OP will resort to cussing, which will actually help my business. :) it's okay, well get through this.

Please buy the correct resistors, I know how ridiculous it sounds, and I thought the same thing, but resistors don't sound the same. Good grief, I can't believe I said that out loud. Please don't tell anyone.

Quantity and Parts express part numbers:

(2) 005-1

(2) 005-2

(2) 005-10

Yes, they really cost $4.25 each. Sorry.

I really appreciate all the input. I'll post my thoughts after the resistor and horn dampening mods.

I have not had a chance to do the resistor mod but I have put the sound deaden-er on the horn. I went with a product called ballistic. Its a sound deaden-er that's adhesive on one side and foil on the other. It comes in a 2 pack, 2 10" x 10" sheets per pack and its around $20. I used the template the fellow from youtube provided and it worked great. I could not be happier with the results. I took an audio file of the before and after "tap" test and the results are blatantly obvious. I sent both files to my sister who, "cant get over how good her TV speakers sound", and even she noticed the glaring difference. Its amazing that such a simple improvement can make such a difference. I'm really anxious to do the resistor mod now! The photos are of the horn with the ballistic mat on them, the template I used and the product I used. You should be able to just save the template image and print it, it prints to scale, if your interested.

post-53642-0-21000000-1403038743_thumb.j

post-53642-0-74200000-1403039148_thumb.p

post-53642-0-01600000-1403040053_thumb.j

Edited by philly0116

I could not be happy with the results

Happier????

More happy?????

More happier??????

:D

+++

Very clean looking job on the horn. Did you put any ballistic material on the throat? I was able to do that with the silicon seal, fill in those small gaps. I read somewhere that the throat was where the sound breakup occurred.

Edited by wvu80

I don't want to come off wrong or supporting anything but just wanted to say how much I thought putting stick on foam on the insides of my woofer spokes helped with smoothing the sound out. I'm not advocating you try it Just wanted to say that I felt it really made a great sounding improvement to my particular speakers. Good luck with any mods you go with. :)

Edited by cradeldorf

I don't want to come off wrong or supporting anything but just wanted to say how much I thought putting stick on foam on the insides of my woofer spokes helped with smoothing the sound out. I'm not advocating you try it Just wanted to say that I felt it really made a great sounding improvement to my particular speakers. Good luck with any mods you go with. :)

I can see that. In my opinion the amount of foam inside the cabinet is insufficient. Anything extra should be an improvement. Where you are talking about, on the spokes of the driver, your absorbing a lot right at the source!

• Like 1

I guess you could put it that way, the spokes right there behind the cone and somewhat the same angle of the cone really tend to create unwanted resonances through the cone or something like that. I wish I had the ability to put it down on hard paper through measurements But I wouldn't even know where to start. I just know that I like what it did for the sound. And I found the foam in the cabinet to be overkill but I guess to each his own. I think PWK also was not a fan of cabinet stuffing beyond what was needed.

Edited by cradeldorf

I just got the resistors in the mail, so tomorrow I would like to start the mod. 1.) mod requires two resistors, 2.) mod is on both woofers?, 3.) I seen how a resistor was put on the board in another post but, is the resistor connected to any wires or a metal part of the board?, 4.) I need a hot glue gun, and 5.) how long to do the mod?

Pic's and help appreciated.

Here's some photos of the mod I did tonight. I am not an expert and I don't claim to be!! It is my understanding that this mod reduces the impedance of the horn from 2ohms to 1.67ohms, greatly reducing the shrillness, if not eliminating it. I took out the horn, (I used a screwdriver for leverage to depress the horn contacts to remove the wires), and the top driver to remove all the wires so I could pull out the crossover. I hot glued the new resistor onto the bottom 2ohm resistor and folded the leads underneath and soldered them to the existing solder dots attached to the original resistor. Its an extremely easy mod and took MAYBE 30 min per speaker. I went slow and took my time. This was actually quite fun and I am absolutely floored at the difference it made in these speakers. These speakers are every bit as smooth as my RF-83's were. This may sound odd but I am really appreciating the lows more, I think the brightness took away from the low end. Just my opinion. I am extremely satisfied with this modification and it was well worth the time and effort. I'm not sure who came up with this modification but I know I cannot take credit for it. Thanks to everyone for their input and help! You will need a soldering iron, some 60/40 rosin core solder, a hot glue gun and glue sticks, phillips head screwdriver and a torx bit screwdriver.

post-53642-0-60860000-1403235109_thumb.j

post-53642-0-90660000-1403235114_thumb.j

post-53642-0-72560000-1403235120_thumb.j

post-53642-0-24660000-1403235128_thumb.j

Edited by philly0116

I think it's more like you blocked some of the power going to the horns so it had to go somewhere else... the woofers. ;) But I don't really know crap, that's just my .02. ;) Glad your liking it.

Edited by cradeldorf

On a side note....I weighed the drivers on the RF-7 and they weigh 15.8lbs each. So 31.6lbs, roughly 1/3rd of the total weight of each speaker, is the 10" drivers. Not really important just thought I would throw that out there. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

Well, the mod went wonderful and was much easier than I thought. The sound improvement is very noticable! Thanks Carl and Philly. A picture is worth a thousand words. On the second speaker I did not even take out the drivers: there was plenty of slack in the wires to do the mod with the speaker laid flat. I love the look of the woofers: I never have the grills off, lol.

click the pic!

Edited by derrickdj1