RF-7 SOUND MODS

I used to drive my RF-7s with 8 watts, 15 watts, 35 watts, 60 watts and 200 wpc. The first four were tube amps, and the best overall sound came from the lower powered amps. Both the RF-7 and RF-7 II - are pretty efficient. Unless you have a really big room, you don't really need more than 60 watts - unless you're going for ear bleed levels, in which case you'll be half deaf soon enough.

Yes, replacing the oval Mylars and resistors will smooth out the sound.

Edited by Deang

The room is large, roughly 24x34' with 18 to 24' ceilings. I am currently listening and trying to decide on keeping an Emotiva XPA-2. So far it hasn't given me the improvement I was expecting. I have two tube amps but they can't produce enough volume. I am very interested in making the RF-7iis sound their best.

WAF, wife appeal factor.  An IB sub is a nice solution for a large family room.  For the space that you have, you may need around four dual sealed or 4 large vented subs.  Where are you located.  This info will help us find you some things.  Post some pic's of the room.  This will give people an idea of the setup and problems.

Edited by derrickdj1

Do electronic crossovers always hurt the sound?
Only if you don't get good ones. They are speaking of ones with processors that can add delay and correct for phase issues. You are getting some great fixes, but adding more amps and so on.

• 1 year later...

Can anybody find the Dayton 10 ohm 10 watt resistors anywhere?  I know the Dayton 10 ohm 10 watt 2% resistor is recommended, but I cannot find available it anywhere.  Parts Express stated 3.21.2017 when they'd be back in stock last week; now they're saying 4.28.2017.  I found one on Amazon made by Xicon and is a 5% tolerance, would this one work well, or not?  I'm curious as to what we're doing with this resistor changing the value from 2 ohms to 1.667 ohms.  Is there a good alternative to the Dayton resistor that is available now?  Thanks!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, RPK said:

Can anybody find the Dayton 10 ohm 10 watt resistors anywhere?  I know the Dayton 10 ohm 10 watt 2% resistor is recommended, but I cannot find available it anywhere.  Parts Express stated 3.21.2017 when they'd be back in stock last week; now they're saying 4.28.2017.  I found one on Amazon made by Xicon and is a 5% tolerance, would this one work well, or not?  I'm curious as to what we're doing with this resistor changing the value from 2 ohms to 1.667 ohms.  Is there a good alternative to the Dayton resistor that is available now?  Thanks!

That resistor should work.  Your ears will thank you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

Dean likes THESE

I am also curious as to whether or not the RC-7 and RS-7 speakers share the same crossover as the RF-7, and if I should add the same resistor to the rest of them so that they all match? Thanks!

The mod to the LCR is part of the larger upgrade package, which includes the replacement of all of the high pass capacitors and all resistors. If all you are going to do is the resistor modification, then it doesn't matter what you use -- there's no benefit from paralleling a high quality Mills with a penny junk resistor - just use any 10 ohm 10 watt resistor you can find.

• Like 1