PWK a "madman?"

Boxx

(From the Klipsch home page regarding PWK)

Our founder, Paul W. Klipsch, was a madman and a certified genius. He spent his life

trying to bring the world better sound. We honor his legend with everything we create.

While I can agree that he was a genius and that he spent his life trying to bring the world better sound, labeling him a madman appears off-base to me. It seems odd to to refer to him in such a way.

Is my thinking off-base or do you agree?

• Like 1

Yeah, over the top--but it seems that reality isn't good enough nowadays, especially for advertising.

I think that he was a very good engineer that basically followed his bliss and made it into a business, starting at age 40-something - and the rest is history.

What I feel is really unique - was his insistence on no BS in a discipline that is still filled with BS (since the 1950s at least) and had the education, experience and resolve/focus to make outstanding products that still exist today - and are still in demand.

Edited by Chris A

(From the Klipsch home page regarding PWK)

Our founder, Paul W. Klipsch, was a madman and a certified genius. He spent his life

trying to bring the world better sound. We honor his legend with everything we create.

While I can agree that he was a genius and that he spent his life trying to bring the world better sound, labeling him a madman appears off-base to me. It seems odd to to refer to him in such a way.

Is my thinking off-base or do you agree?

I agree that "maverick" would be a better term. The stereotype that geniuses are "mad" arises out of their unusual perspectives, and that they are not "normal" in the statistical sense of the word -- or else genius would not be rare.

Edited by Garyrc

Also, the front page says that Paul Klipsch was a "madman".

This is a nod to the TV show Mad Men, which takes place in the 60s and has a very similar look to the Klipsch ad it accompanies. It didn't seem to offend anyone here who knew him, but I will double check. It certainly isn't meant to be disrespectful.

This post may provide some insight.

Amy, mad men in the show are advertising charlatans, the mad comes from Madison avenue. Just admit it, anyone with a brain and cursory knowledge of Mr. Klipsch knows the term is inappropriate at best. Although I will concede that perhaps your target audience has neither a brain nor cursory knowledge of Mr. Klipsch.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Anyone with a brain can also interpret it as one of it's other many meanings, if their minds are open to it:

"Carried away by enthusiasm or desire; intensely excited; marked by intense and often chaotic activity; to an extreme degree"...to name a few.

And yes, I get the Madison Ave reference. Again, it's a play on words to harken back to a time period relevant to much of our vintage ads, literature and style. I'm sincere when I say not to over think it.