Any issues with mixing brands of capacitors?

jimjimbo

I'm able to find most of the caps I need for various speakers from one manufacturer, but there is at least one, and maybe two values that they don't make. Is there much of an issue with mixing brands? Cap types and tolerances are the same. Thanks!

I have done a couple of DIY projects "by the book" from diysoundgroup.com so I don't have any special knowledge.

I needed a resister that was 12.0 but that was out of stock, and I was told by the XO designer use two 6.0's in SERIAL instead. I could also use a resister with a value that was within 10%, like a 12.5 and the difference would be inaudible.

EDIT: Thank you to Dean. I had posted incorrect information so I have capitalized a word to correct my mistake.

The standard tolerance is usually .05, which means +/- 5% of nominal, and I was told using a .01 was more expensive, but also acceptable.

Between brands I don't know. I think there were some specific caveats about cap TYPES, but I don't remember specifically. I hope that helps a little.

+++

There is a review HERE on Parts-Express by someone who used polypropylene caps on the Klipcch Heresy and gave it a great review.

Edited by wvu80

Funny someone should bring up this subject matter, just today iv been shopping for an upgrade in my Cap checker, after many pieces of test equipment used throughout the years, they have finely perfected one that's a "No Brainer" meaning easy to read and figure out.

This unit is the Cats Meow on most tech benches in my local circle of techie buddies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121361696758?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Guest David H

I'm able to find most of the caps I need for various speakers from one manufacturer, but there is at least one, and maybe two values that they don't make. Is there much of an issue with mixing brands? Cap types and tolerances are the same. Thanks!

You can absolutely mix brands, and as previously stated, you can parallel caps to get the desired value.

Dave

"I needed a resister that was 12.0 but that was out of stock, and I was told by the XO designer use two 6.0's in parallel instead."

That's the rule for capacitors, not restistors. To double the value, resistors need to be in series.

Some mentioned mixing capacitor types. By "types", I'm guessing you mean those made of differing dielectrics. Personally, I would stay away from Mylar (polyester) in the high pass section.

http://conradhoffman.com/cap_measurements_100606.html

I have done a couple of DIY projects "by the book" from diysoundgroup.com so I don't have any special knowledge.

I needed a resister that was 12.0 but that was out of stock, and I was told by the XO designer use two 6.0's in parallel instead. I could also use a resister with a value that was within 10%, like a 12.5 and the difference would be inaudible.

The standard tolerance is usually .05, which means +/- 5% of nominal, and I was told using a .01 was more expensive, but also acceptable.

Between brands I don't know. I think there were some specific caveats about cap TYPES, but I don't remember specifically. I hope that helps a little.

+++

There is a review HERE on Parts-Express by someone who used polypropylene caps on the Klipcch Heresy and gave it a great review.

I thought you series resistors and parallel caps? What I mean is don't you have to series 2 6ohm resistors to get 12 ohms of resistance? where you would parallel 2 6 uf caps to get a 12 uf cap?

Edited by cradeldorf

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to double the value, capacitors are put in parallel and resistors are put in series. To halve the value, capacitors are then put in series, while capacitors are put in series.

Depends on what you're trying to do. If you want to double the value, capacitors are put in parallel and resistors are put in series. To halve the value, capacitors are then put in series, while capacitors are put in series.

Resistors in PARALLEL to halve the value. :)

Indeed.

I knew what I was supposed to type, but the brain didn't cooperate. We had a storm move through and it was pretty obnoxious -- I couldn't get back to sleep. I have a "no posting in the middle of night rule", but I keep breaking it. I'm glad there are people around that can catch my idiotic mistakes.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

"I needed a resister that was 12.0 but that was out of stock, and I was told by the XO designer use two 6.0's in parallel instead."

That's the rule for capacitors, not restistors. To double the value, resistors need to be in series.

Some mentioned mixing capacitor types. By "types", I'm guessing you mean those made of differing dielectrics. Personally, I would stay away from Mylar (polyester) in the high pass section.

How many caps can be paralleled to make "one capacitor" (ex. 4x2uf=8uf)? What is the maximum caps to parallel?

How many caps can be paralleled to make "one capacitor" (ex. 4x2uf=8uf)? What is the maximum caps to parallel?

When Richard Marsh developed the MultiCap, he used 10 (internally bypassed). I'm not sure if there is a limit.

Edited by DeanG

That's the rule for capacitors, not resistors. To double the value, resistors need to be in series.

Thank you Dean, I corrected my original post, which was wrong. I hope I didn't screw anybody up by posting incorrect information.

Edited by wvu80