Broken Terminal P39F

I've learned 2 things working on automobiles. The perfect torque for a fastener is tightening it till it snaps off and backing it off a quarter turn. The second is that crossthreading is natures LockTight.

Heh heh...

I got schooled very early on as an apprentice aircraft mechanic; If you're caught tightening anything without a torque wrench you will be beaten severely about the hands!

Terrible design!!

The hell were they (not) thinking?!?!

Best of luck getting it squared away, OP.

Well I think they wanted to be stealthy but you can't hide the big cable running to and under the speaker. I guess if you're not on a concrete slab then you could run the wire in the crawl space and come up directly under the speaker. lol? I think not...

Terrible design!!

The hell were they (not) thinking?!?!

Best of luck getting it squared away, OP.

Well I think they wanted to be stealthy but you can't hide the big cable running to and under the speaker. I guess if you're not on a concrete slab then you could run the wire in the crawl space and come up directly under the speaker. lol? I think not...

Those speakers didn't come with some stealthy 18g wire?! I'm shocked!

• Like 1

Sorry about the bad luck man . That is a peculiar place to mount the binding posts , must be strictly for aesthetics .

I'm sure you will be up and running again in no time .

Strange placement for sure. They're actually running but I won't rest until it's fixed. The part from Klipsch should be here soon.

Your wires will be 90 degrees to the bananas. Will that work?

That's the only way I think a banana plug will work. If it came out the end the wire would bind up against the floor. I tried spades....big ones....and they just weren't big enough. I'm hoping the banana will work so I won't feel the need to overtighten although I can assure you I didn't this time. That thing broke like it was nothing. I have been lifting weights lately though....

5 way posts already in the speakers. Just put the bare wire in the factory lugs.

Those bananas would give you more clearance and the ability to remove and replace without laying them on the side . The factory lugs would work but you would need smaller mitts than yours to do it without laying them down .

• Like 1

5 way posts already in the speakers. Just put the bare wire in the factory lugs.

Yes that's the way I have them now but I am trying to avoid having to tighten those lugs more than I have to. If you knew how little pressure it took to shear that thing you would be amazed and never want to tighten that nut again.

Those bananas would give you more clearance and the ability to remove and replace without laying them on the side . The factory lugs would work but you would need smaller mitts than yours to do it without laying them down .

yes laying them down sucks. I don't do a lot of connecting and re-connecting especially in this scenario but as mentioned above I'm scared to tighten these posts even a little bit.

• 4 months later...

Tonight I finally finished making my other speaker cable and connected everything up properly. I had them hooked up with some cheap lamp cord all this time so finally with enough time on my hands I went for it. I should have seen it as a sign when the very large spade terminals were too small for the binding posts. I would have never imagined that these big ole terminals would be too small but they were. I read the manual and the suggested method is stripping them back and inserting in the hole in the post and tightening the lug down. Sweet right? Well that would have worked out great and did on 3 of the 4 terminals. The LAST one I did broke off. It split right at the hole in the post. I really am ticked off to no end. There are 2 other terminals that I can use but there aren't enough threads to tighten the jumper strap to the broken one. It is the middle lug so for now I bent the strap so that when the other two are tightened is presses hard against the connection so it is working for now.

Obviously this needs to be fixed. I wonder if this is a DIY job. Looking at it I really don't see how to gain access. Has anyone ever had to get in one of these speakers? I'm really just totally ticked off about this. I'll be calling Klipsch tomorrow. ACK!!!!

Strangely, i faced a similar problem over the weekend.

I moved residence recently, and was busy setting up the P39Fs. Everything went fine until the last terminal. While tightening the lug, at a certain point, I felt something come undone/break. Freaked me out a bit since I couldn't imagine anything could break, especially since these are top of the line Klipsch speakers. And it's not like I tried to screw it on really tightly.

The lug sort of came loose while tightening, and I couldn't tighten it much more. I could see that the terminal had split, and was dangling. Didn't want to forcefully try and tighten the lug, lest the terminal comes off altogether. I wasn't willing to fully accept that a terminal had sheared off, and it was quite disconcerting - afterall, how can a terminal break!? Finding this thread was hence quite a relief.

I anyway proceeded to stand her up, to check if she was playing fine and thankfully it seems ok for the time being.

I would however like to get this resolved, will be contacting Klipsch soon.

DIY seems unlikely since I wouldn't want to risk stripping the Torx head bolt.

Edited by HcspilK
  • Like 1

I've learned 2 things working on automobiles. The perfect torque for a fastener is tightening it till it snaps off and backing it off a quarter turn. The second is that crossthreading is natures LockTight.

Heh heh...

I got schooled very early on as an apprentice aircraft mechanic; If you're caught tightening anything without a torque wrench you will be beaten severely about the hands!

amen to that. easily my favorite thing about moving from jets to now diesel trucks. impact it on! till it just stops turning lol. so much easier. only thing i have to torque is wheel seals, and lug nuts. at least so far. but i have only been doing it for about 6 months total.