Ok, so I DO think this is crazy... but... how crazy?

Coytee

Cover that rug before something happens to it......

Danley2.jpg

Heh....that rug is long gone, replaced with another.....which is now also long gone. Room is currently tile floor as she searches for yet another rug to put down.

Do what one member on the AVS forum did, he installed a pair of gigantic horn subwoofers in the attic that vent into the listening space.

You could cut two holes and even chose a nice grille to cover the opening in the room. Unsuspecting guests will think they are A/C vents.

Can't do that without taking out the kitchen which is directly above this room. I'm constrained inside these walls. Even the IB idea.... the back wall is chock full of the wires that go upstairs for the rest of the house.

The only other two walls (front where TV is and side as seen in the picture), are block walls. The long wall (where fireplace is) is underground so nothing is going to work there.

Personally, I think that's the best idea (and I like the idea of painting same color as walls....I told her should could paint them with flowers or anything she wanted)

I was thinking of paint my K-402's white!

By using the side walls, you are only giving up 16" per wall when you narrow. The beauty of a Jubilee, unlike a Khorn, is you are not stuck at 45 degrees in the corner. By aiming them INTO the room more with a sweet spot further back than 45 degrees would have you do, she can still walk around to the narrow rear of the jube to look out the window. Seems like a reasonable compromise to me to have superior sub bass.

Otherwise, you can sell me your DTS-10's for what you paid so I can have 4 of them. LOL

Can you place them flat on the floor between the Jubs? Those two subs with the openings next to each other will shake the house. I have mine set up in that manner, but standing vertically behind my screen. With both sub openings next to each, my room shakes so much I wonder if the floor is going to hold.

I think there are other, simpler, options than trying to suspend those heavy boxes from the ceiling.

If you can manage to place the subs next to each other with the openings together, I think you will be surprised at the performance!

I think you're right (that I'll be surprised at the performance). I did a small trial run with them while in Florida and was floored when I heard the glass tapping scene on Finding Nemo (only thing I had that had some deep bass) I was totally awestruck with the shear 'violence' that this scene provided....my gosh, I loved it!

Flat on floor however, will pull them out into room farther than simply putting against back wall. Camera battery is dead. Charging now. I'll try to take a current front and front/side picture. Remember, we've got a family member who's in a wheelchair. Though they don't visit often, my wife put some design features into this area specifically for this person (as well as her now deceased father in case he needed to move in). She wants it handicap friendly.

The right answer is to simply put them flat against the front wall standing vertically behind the Jubilee's. The Jubes can then use one side of the Danley as the quasi-corner. It would only push the Jubilee out about 18 inches or so rather than four feet for the Danley flat on the floor.

This is why the hoisted position is intriguing. Frankly, I don't like it (much at all) but it does fix some interesting issues, again at the risk of having a 300 pound box fail and squash some poor soul sitting underneath it.

This might be one of those man-up moments where I just need to move them in while she's out of the house and take some flack for awhile....

It's not like she's going to simply 'toss them out' on her own....I can barely hoist them on my hand truck.

She does however, know how to use my right angle drill, circular saw, jigsaw and to a lessor extent, chainsaw so there's always some outside chance of seriously ticking her off. :unsure:

Personally, I think that's the best idea (and I like the idea of painting same color as walls....I told her should could paint them with flowers or anything she wanted)

Otherwise, you can sell me your DTS-10's for what you paid so I can have 4 of them. LOL

Dunno that I could comprehend four of them.... ouch

I'd suspect that the ceiling would deflect/vibrate too much to mount a sub enclosure like you're proposing.

I dont think it would collapse if you had it properly anchored into the joists, but I'd be using hurricane straps just to be sure. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Coytee, highly recommend talking to Wardsweb, He has the most amazing sub thru the wall that I have ever heard.

WERE THERES A WILL THERES A WAY- GO FOR IT.

Yes, he does. He was one of the early adopters of the DTS-10 and put a really nice veneer on it. But he only has one. Coytee and I both have 2, so even more amazing. Can you imagine what 4 would do?

Coytee, highly recommend talking to Wardsweb, He has the most amazing sub thru the wall that I have ever heard.

WERE THERES A WILL THERES A WAY- GO FOR IT.

(in defeated voice)

Yeah, but I got no wall. 2 walls are outside walls, 3rd wall has big doorway to next room and 4th wall is buried with LaScalas.

The realistic answer is to cave in to the wife and give them up....(neverrrrrrrrrrrr he cries!) Or, just put them where they belong (behind the Jubilee's) and get the wife resentful.

We know how productive and polite that would be. :emotion-50:

Ceiling is about 8 1/2 feet, no crawl space.

My original idea was to put them behind the Jubilee's (and this is still my favored option) Wife says they push everything too far into the room so that when her (wheelchair bound) niece comes (once a year), she won't be able to maneuver. (I think this can be easily dealt with)

I just had this idea about mounting them "up" and part of me thinks its brilliant and another part of me says it's a waiting disaster.

Actually, I think your original idea to place them on the ceiling (in the corners with their mouths closest to the corners) is a good one. Getting them up there is the trick, but they don't have to be flush with the ceiling in order to get the benefit of corner gain - only within 18 inches of the ceiling, especially if you cross them over at 40 Hz to the Jub bass bins.

There are ceiling lifts available that are pretty reasonable: http://www.amazon.com/Thule-571-Mount-Cargo-Storage/dp/B001COIYBU

The trick is finding a unit that passes the WAF test. I would definitely paint these lifts to be the same color as the walls. You can screw four eye lift points into the Danleys on their top surfaces to attach the ceiling lift lines. The closer the sub is raised to the ceiling when fully lifted, the less you can see the lifting mechanism and the higher the WAF. You can also put a decorative skirt around the Danley's up to the ceiling at the top surface on the Danleys to hide the visual gap and hardware that interferes with WAF.

Having the subs not touching the ceiling in this way will help to decouple structure-borne vibrations from the kitchen above.

Putting the DTS-10s behind the Jubs is also my preferred place, too, but I can see an issue with the windows on that wall - the Danleys will probably partially cover them. But it doesn't cost much to try them there and there is an additional advantage to having them in the corners behind the Jubs (i.e., a longer effective horn path length and horn mouth transition into the room formed by the back of the Jub bass bin, the Danley front face, and the side wall, facing upward toward the ceiling). This actually couples the horn into the room acoustically without relying so much on side wall stiffness to form the final expansion of the horn mouth using the corner of the room.

One additional idea: placing some acoustic tiles covering the bottom surface (the large flat surface of the sub that will be facing the floor) of the Danleys before hauling them up to the ceiling will provide good early reflection control of midrange energy from the K-402s below for little cost. The problem of course is that this surface can't be painted, but painting the Danleys wall color before placing acoustic tiles on the bottom surface would certainly provide better visual relief.

Edited by Chris A

There are ceiling lifts available that are pretty reasonable: http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B001COIYBU

I'd be scared that vibrations would eventually loosen the fasteners. You can't Loctite wood screws.

I don't have any reservations on the stability of fasteners to vibrations for this particular device. Also note that this is but one of many choices available. There are also vibrational isolators that can be installed just above eye fasteners that aren't very high that can further isolate the Danleys from the block and tackle gear -- not a an issue, IMHO. I know of many garage ceilings that vibrate severely when the HVAC just above them in the attic turns on with a severely unbalanced fan... including mine (for a few years before I got some round tuits to get it fixed) :)

OK, lay them down so the Jubes will sit on top.

Tried it, didn't like it. The Jub K-402s were too high and the claim on the floor space was extreme.

Edited by Chris A

This might be one of those man-up moments where I just need to move them in while she's out of the house and take some flack for awhile

I still vote for this one, and when she does come home please have a camera up to capture her expression and post it here.

This might be one of those man-up moments where I just need to move them in while she's out of the house and take some flack for awhile

I still vote for this one, and when she does come home please have a camera up to capture her expression and post it here.

So you're actually thinking I'd live through the moment?

Although nothing is much different from the first picture, here are a couple more views. Pardon the mess :)

To illustrate how fussy the wife is... notice in the last picture ("d4") there is a desk with monitor in other room. I had the PC box sitting on the floor next to the desk. Drove her nutso..... she took it upon herself to cut, paint some wood pieces... slide on her back under the desk and in the knee area behind the drawer, build a little shelf where the pc box and a plug strip could go. Little things like that drive her nuts. Slightly bigger things (like Heresy's, LaScalas, Jubilee's & Danleys) put her into apoplectic shock. :ohmy:

post-12967-0-42480000-1406107795_thumb.j

post-12967-0-11180000-1406107803_thumb.j

post-12967-0-88080000-1406107813_thumb.j

post-12967-0-24080000-1406107822_thumb.j