Doorbell circuit w/lighted button

USNRET

So I know how a doorbell works. I know that the buttom simply completes the circuit between chime and transformer. My question is this: how can the button light illuminate (completing the circuit) without the chime sounding?

My only guess is that the button light is not allowing enough current thru the filament to sound the chime. Thoughts?

Edited by USNRET

Single circuit, two wires and button contacts completing circuit from chime to transformer. Push button, light goes out and chime plays. Release button and light comes on, chimes silent.

If you recall I had a middle of the night experience with doorbell ringing and no one pushing the button. Well it happened again and I found that the button contacts became fused burning out the chime electronics. I replaced the button and chime yesterday and began thinking of the circuity.

Either the button contacts or lamp filament complete the circuit but chimes only thru button contacts...........

Edited by USNRET

Yep, the light in the button is too low a current device to operate the chime. It is wired right across switch so when the switch is not pushed it has all the voltage across it and allows just enough current through to illuminate. When the button is pushed the light probably goes out because the voltage across the switch has gone close to zero.

One of my three doorbell switches corroded (2 years old) and the other was broken by the emergency people

carrying out the bed. The new switches did not have the wire relief cut into the plastic so had to

file one. The new screws were crap so I used the old ones. Maybe I shouldn't expect much at 6 bucks for each.

(Zenith type)

JJK

Mine lasted on average a year and a half to 2 years as they were in full afternoon sun and the plastic translucent button would crumble from the UV. My current one has a metal (I think) button and a LED halo around it. It seems to be holding up much better.

USNRET,

Do you have any idea why the replaced one failed? Exposure to the elements/weather? Doorbell circuits are pretty simple. I am thinking if you have a voltmeter, check the voltage at the doorbell transformer(or across the open switch). It should be 24VAC nominal.

Exposure to the elements. Severe corrosive environment here surrounded on three sides by salt water withing 1 mile. Perhaps helped along by heavy kid hands on the button bending the thin contacts. Voltage is all good. I tried to get by last time so I wouldn't have to replace the switch and drill new holes in the brick. I just went ahead and replaced things this time. Needed a hammer drill anyway, right?

Edited by USNRET

I have rentals. They beat the 'ell out these as well as the light switches in the house. Why would you punch a light switch so hard you crack the plate and break the switch? Hmmm... the one guy is a big football fan... maybe he throws a football to turn them off and on.