Having searched for half a century, I have found the missing octave...

Mallette

Just finished a solid 70 minutes of my beloved friend George Ellis Mims playing the incredible Schoenberg he designed for St. Martin's, Houston. So far, I'd been sampling this and that, but once I started this I sat mesmerized for the entire 20 tracks. I was sort of well out there when he started an improvisation. Suddenly he resolved the intro and tears filled my eyes at the sound of "Praise to the Lord, the Almighty." That good. While I am sure there are those who could improve on it a bit, it is dialed in pretty much. The instrument sounded as I have heard it live and I was not listening to the recording, but to George and the instrument.

That's all I ask.

Dave

Do you feel the in sides of the Khorns are being hurt with the subs so close? I'm curious more than anything. Would love to hear your system, but I don't see a trip to Texas anytime soon.

Bruce

Dave,

Where did you get the F-20? I'm kind of shocked that the turntable could withstand those frequencies with the sub so close. I'd imagine the large slab of marble is helping that out! What is the black box under the turntables? How are you powering that beast?

I'd be curious to know all your settings on the plate amp.

Crossover is at 40Hz, phase 0, gain about 12:00.

Those setting were all made with the Michael Murry Franck Chorale, and held well through all the pop and jazz that followed...along with more pipe organ.

Dave

Guys, as to the horn position and the turntable I am perceiving no effects...other than the aforementioned sense that the mids and highs are even more transparent than before. Dean, the turntable based is made of 3/4" birch with ballast inside. Whilst the walls and the monitor were visibly flexing during the Virgil Fox LP, I felt the granite base and it did not seem to be moving at all. I certainly heard nothing to suggest any transmission.

Dave

Well, I theorize that, while the rolloff from the K'horns is smooth, the sense of "bottomlessness" from the Cinema may simply make the mids and highs seem clearer. Like you, I can find no reason for any actual change. The amp is the Dayton 230 external. I dawdled over the pass through before deciding to go directly out of the power amp in and then out to the Dynaquad.

Now that I think of it, it's possible the illusion of cleaner mids and highs is from the rears which are now on a high pass filter.

Anyway, like my sig line says "If it SOUNDS good, it IS good."

Dave

Now that I think of it, it's possible the illusion of cleaner mids and highs is from the rears which are now on a high pass filter.

That was my theory also. To take them off the filter, just run your speakers and plate amp parallel off your power amp. Don't worry about the resistance your amp sees. The plate amp is only about .1 Ohm. Instead of your amp seeing 8 Ohms, paralleling the plate amp with your speakers will drop it to about 7.9 Ohms.

I was also thinking that possibly high pass filtering your speakers removed some of the bass from the speakers (less sources of bass) reducing cancellation which would clean up your mids also.