Having searched for half a century, I have found the missing octave...

Mallette

Crossover is at 40Hz, phase 0, gain about 12:00.

Then I have no idea why you're noticing a difference in the mids.

The question that I asked in post #15 was based on placing such large reflective surfaces (the subs) that close to the front or sides of the Khorns with the reflective electronics boxes on top of the subs, which represents a discontinuity in the near field of the Khorn midrange horns/drivers/baffles

I believe that we all have different sensitivities to in-room acoustics changes. Note that my question was legit: I simply wanted to know if Dave M. heard any differences.

YMMV.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Chris, if any, only an improvement.

"Accuracy" is, while having a clear definition, much more difficult to define to more than one individual's satisfaction.

I long ago quit trying, hence "If it SOUNDS good, it IS good."

Dave

Is the plate amp receiving a full signal or is the signal coming out of a "sub" or "LFE" out jack of a preamp? If you're using speaker wires to the plate amp, tell me exactly how you've wired it.

This is a great thread.

Am I confused (always, but I mean about Dave's amp), is the SA230 a "plate amp" in a case? The amp appears to be more elaborate or sophisticated than my Dayton 240 plate amps.

Any changes in your upper ranges, Michael?

I'd be curious to know all your settings on the plate amp.

Subsonic filter and EQ knob set to 20hz

crossovers disabled

phase set to 0

parametric EQ's bypassed

and then whatever magic Audyssey XT32 does.

Really glad to see another Audyssey XT32 fan best thing in the world for horns.

post-7390-0-74980000-1407413754_thumb.jppost-7390-0-11300000-1407413762_thumb.jp

Not a plate amp. No place to mount one on the Cinema.

230w appears to be adequate to break windows whilst the horn doesn't break a sweat. BTW, the bass drum on the old Telarc Frederic Fennel/Eastman Wind recording of the Holst E-Flat Suite is downright startling. I recall that when I purchased it decades ago the shrink wrap had a warning about that...but I never really took it seriously until the sofa behind my head appeared to flex under me. Also, the image on the monitor on the wall went quite blurry with each pulse.

Dave

Edited by Mallette