Starting Over-Help Needed

wldrns1

Thanks for comments on my story...thought it may be helpful.

It was helpful, and appreciated, it's makes it easier to understand the situation.  

I've turned the HSM's upside down on the walls to get the horn closer to ear level. Looks weird but hey! I thought about inverting them with included risers underneath to project sound downward (if needed). Would there be a huge detriment to the sound quality if the H3's are mounted on the walls?

I did exactly the same thing with some original Hersey's in an outside bar, it seems to help, perfect, probably not but it sounds good to me and that's what counts.

If it's more convenient mounted on the walls, do it, I wouldn't worry about any slight difference in sound even if there is one.

Seems you know where I'm coming from.

Looks like the Yamaha should be looked into. Variable Loudness seems to be offered by only them.

Not so.  Any Audyssey equipped AVR has "dynamic EQ" which is the newfangled approach.  Since you are or will run subs, you should consider the AVR route for bass management. 

I thought AVR was something in the Yamaha line. No clue here. I will check out AVR looking for Audyssey dynamic EQ equipped. Never heard of that. Much thx with help getting up to speed.

I thought AVR was something in the Yamaha line. No clue here. I will check out AVR looking for Audyssey dynamic EQ equipped. Never heard of that. Much thx with help getting up to speed.

Yeah, being somewhat of a retro grouch myself, I kind of like the style of the R-N500 more than an AVR, but an AVR will have much more utility, most importantly proper bass management, and up to date features.  Due to market factors the AVRs are the most cost effective route to get such features.  Some blingy (expensive) two channel kit actually does have it (HK990, NAD C390DD come to mind).

Oh, and I'm not familiar with Yamaha nomenclature, but their AVRs will have different labels for their take on loudness compensation, "dynamic EQ" is specific to Denon/Marantz AVRs w/ Audyssey.  

Edited by Ski Bum

What a good story!  Thanks for sharing.  

Of course, any Heritage would be a great idea.  The H3 is a step up from the H1 but I'd prefer them on the floor at a tilt instead of a shelf.

Thanks for comments on my story...thought it may be helpful.

I've turned the HSM's upside down on the walls to get the horn closer to ear level. Looks weird but hey!  I thought about inverting them with included risers underneath to project sound downward (if needed). Would there be a huge detriment to the sound quality if the H3's are mounted on the walls?

I have some H1's on shelves right up against the wall in the shop.  You lose a little low end and the sound stage isn't quite right but it doesn't matter so much while moving around and working.  If you are able to be a little flexible on your placement and can work on the toe-in I'll bet you will have it sounding pretty good.

Part of the problem I have with mother in laws, a bigger problem is there mouth, they usually look like this. :angry:

Sometimes so intimidating, sometimes best to just keep quiet.

How do I ask Bob Crites a question? Don't know his forum name to use search feature.

Audio video receiver, could be any brand, just a generic term.

So if I understand...

AVR's are more likely equipped with dynamic EQ.

AVR's are different than 2 channel. I always called it stereo.

AVR's, in my mind, probably came about when surround sound got popular.

AVR's can be used for only 2 channel if you want.

AVR's are often built to accommodate more modern technologies, more so than 2 channel pieces.

AVR's and 2 channels are both Receivers meaning a tuner is included. I knew receiver meant the combo of amp & tuner with separate R and L channels all in one box. It's not called a Receiver anymore.

Got that right? Shows you where I'm at, huh?  

• Moderators
wldrns1, on 22 Aug 2014 - 5:03 PM, said:wldrns1, on 22 Aug 2014 - 5:03 PM, said:wldrns1, on 22 Aug 2014 - 5:03 PM, said:

dtel, on 22 Aug 2014 - 1:25 PM, said:dtel, on 22 Aug 2014 - 1:25 PM, said:dtel, on 22 Aug 2014 - 1:25 PM, said:

Audio video receiver, could be any brand, just a generic term.

So if I understand...

AVR's are more likely equipped with dynamic EQ. Usually

AVR's are different than 2 channel. I always called it stereo. Sometimes, there are companies like Onkyo and probably others who make 2 ch stereo but with all the connections like an avr.

AVR's, in my mind, probably came about when surround sound got popular. probably

AVR's can be used for only 2 channel if you want. Yes but ask around and try to find one that is better for just stereo, some brands seem to be more musical.  

AVR's are often built to accommodate more modern technologies, more so than 2 channel pieces. Yes and no, the ones for just stereo usually cost a bunch more, not as common as multi channel these days.

AVR's and 2 channels are both Receivers meaning a tuner is included. I knew receiver meant the combo of amp & tuner with separate R and L channels all in one box. It's not called a Receiver anymore. Yes all included, It can be a receiver, these days almost everything is multi channel, stereo is like a "specialty thing" now, it's crazy. It's hard to find a stereo receiver that's not cheap junk or overpriced, if they can put 5-9 channels for a fair price why is it a big deal to have just 2 for a fair price ? Not enough sales I guess ?

Got that right? Shows you where I'm at, huh?  

Shows where I'm at also, I would rather just 2 good channels without paying crazy prices for not having the other 5 channels.

Disclaimer: Ok I'm old, and remember many really nice sounding receivers back then. Just one more opinion :) 

Edited by dtel

Yes all included, It can be a receiver, these days almost everything is multi channel, stereo is like a "specialty thing" now, it's crazy.

stereo is like a "specialty thing" now, it's crazy.

Yeah. The 8' box in my pickup is no longer the standard bed. "Oh, do you really want that?" It IS crazy.

Joe,

Welcome to the forums. The HSMs should sound the same as the original Heresy speakers. There have been two newer versions since you got yours, each improving on the previous model (always debatable). The HIIs sound a bit more balanced, and the HIIIs even more so. The original Heresy speakers, for many people, had mids that are too forward, with not enough bass. Crossover changes can fix that to provide a much smoother sound (at less cost than buying newer models) and provide a more consistent load to the amplifier/receiver.

Bob Crites (on this forum) has some HSMs and also does a lot of different crossovers for a reasonable price. You can contact him here:

http://www.critesspeakers.com

As old as your HSMs are, it is quite possible that the crossovers need some new capacitors, as they deteriorate over time and will degrade performance. New speakers are still a good option, as it means Klipsch stays in business, but a lot of folks only buy used.

Bruce

I'll have to look into AVR's. A local place carries Yamaha & staffed by kids. They can teach me about what's out there now. 

Speakers: I've read the HSM's sound different due to both the Enclosure and Crossover. Would be great to keep them and get the old HR sound. Not sure if XO will do it. I'll talk to crites.com. In the meantime, pics below and comments? The labeled woofer magnet is in the XO pic: 

post-58829-0-39480000-1408792333_thumb.j

post-58829-0-78200000-1408792403_thumb.j

post-58829-0-36600000-1408792429_thumb.j

post-58829-0-21840000-1408792453_thumb.j

post-58829-0-41560000-1408792476_thumb.j

Are they still positioned like that? If so, you need to flip them and tilt them so that the sound is shooting directly into the listening area.

I didn't understand your hearing loss numbers. It reads like you said it begins to drop at 2kHz and ends at 8kHz, where it is 60dB down - which implies nothing above that - is that accurate or am I misunderstanding? Much of what you are perceiving would be dominated by the hearing issues. For example, if you can't hear the tweeters, you would mostly be hearing the squawkers - and they're called "squawkers" for a reason.

OP... save yourself some capital and consider buying a used AVR unit, if that is the way you are leaning. pimple face brats at the local box store is about the worst way going about it... but I admit, it IS convenient.

if this is a dedicated 2 channel, strongly consider dual monos or a stereo amp with dual mono architecture.

forget all the fanciness of an AVR if you are not going to use it for HT duty. Less in the signal path, the better.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

Well, as usual, most everyone here loves spending your money....you're not going to find Sirius on dual monos, so you should be looking at an AVR.  I say keep it simple, because there's no doubt in my mind that you're probably not going to use most of the functionality of an AVR after considering what you have termed your listening habits and requirements above.  So again, I highly recommend the Yamaha Aventage series AVRs.  Have everything you need and more.  Looking for something specific with Audyssey is overkill, IMHO.

Are they still positioned like that? If so, you need to flip them and tilt them so that the sound is shooting directly into the listening area.

I didn't understand your hearing loss numbers. It reads like you said it begins to drop at 2kHz and ends at 8kHz, where it is 60dB down - which implies nothing above that - is that accurate or am I misunderstanding? Much of what you are perceiving would be dominated by the hearing issues. For example, if you can't hear the tweeters, you would mostly be hearing the squawkers - and they're called "squawkers" for a reason.

Position yes. Hearing numbers yes. With aides in I hear the tweeters just fine. Treble adjustment completely audible throughout the range. Regardless of position, they never sounded like my HR's even from day 1. Very weak with no punch unless you lean on they pretty hard. Even then, needed a sub. I even stuffed a small rag loosely in the squawkers to calm them down a little without losing the presence I enjoy so much. XO's or no. 

ABOUT THE HEARING AIDES: One in each ear. Loss is symmetrical. They are $$/high end. They don't make ALL sounds louder, just add what's missing or has been lost. I'm sure someone here also uses aides. They add a 'crispness' which improves definition that has been lost over time.

The first time I took a leak, OMG! Used to it now. Sound is very natural. ZERO ambient noise (a mandatory requirement). Once a deficit threshold has been reached, no further amplification of that frequency. Maintains balance of the sound. I don't make adjustments to my system without them in because WAY off for others! Cranked up, no aides required.

Edited by wldrns1

Also DeanG these HSM's sound much different than my HR's did - right out of the hole in 1982 - when not in the line of fire ie when I go to another room. I would say they sound thin. No richness/depth/punch whatsoever.

Edited by wldrns1