Good early to mid 70's ss receiver?

Rick J B

I'm looking to put a decent, partially vintage, partially DIY system together for my office.

My budget is modest, but, I'm not willing to sell my soul! :P

Anyway, what I'm interested in particularly, is an early to mid 70's ss reciever from someone like Marantz or HK, any ball park suggestions on where to start looking?

TIA, Rick :)

What's modest for some, may not be modest for others.....are you talking $1500 or $500, as an example.....You can buy a fully restored Pioneer SX-1250, all caps replaced, all lights replaced, other components replaced, fully cleaned, polished and beautiful for $1500 or less (sometimes).  Or, to step down a little, an SX-1050, or SX-950, that are still awesome receivers, just a little less power.  You probably don't need "The Monster" 1250 for your office....  Check them out on ebay.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX1250-Vintage-Stereo-Receiver-WOW-/161403723379

The pioneer sx1250 recommended above is a awesome receiver but very very powerfull. I don't think you will be needing this much power.

What size and kind of speakers are you lookng to get? Or do you have them already?

Pioneer and sansui are nice. I personally like marantz. A lot will depend on how loud you want it to get and what kind of speakers. A marantz 2230 Is probably more than you need for a office, I think, and it's gonna sound very very nice. As moray states you will need to change the caps and restore unit for durability and it will some much better.

Alex

The pioneer sx1250 recommended above is a awesome receiver but very very powerfull. I don't think you will be needing this much power.

I'm pretty sure I said that in my post, but, whatever....Was just pointing out that these types of units are available.   And yes, speaker choice would be good to know.  Marantz definitely made some great receivers as well back in the day, and they have some really cool tuning dials. 

I'm pretty sure I said that in my post, but, whatever....Was just pointing out that these types of units are available.   And yes, speaker choice would be good to know.  Marantz definitely made some great receivers as well back in the day, and they have some really cool tuning dials.

I know you said that, I was just enforcing what you said;)

And boxx I have never actually owned this unit. I have played with the less powerfull sx-1050 and saw the power behind this receiver and can only imagine the power behind the sx-1250.

Alex

Be careful, Moray didn't sign off his normal way... Beware.... lol... Has Moray been hijacked!!?? Omg!! Good eye.

I did not think it was wise to give my best regards after telling someone that his plan was flawed. I have a little Technics micro amp almost 30 years old. I placed it into my system earlier this summer for about three weeks. Was so pleased by how it sounded I left in in for about three weeks. Started to think that it was not sounding as good as I had thought and pulled it out and opened it up to find the main filter caps starting to ooze litic juice. That was very much close than I would like. So I have to take my own good advice. The amp will be rebuilt and have some design upgrades done as well as it sounds more than worth the effort. These old amps may well be good but they are all time bombs. Since the OP said he had limited resources I figured his few bucks would be best spent on a no frills new or recently owned unit not something very old, that's just not a good plan nor is it good advice unless the person understands a rebuild is mandatory. Best regards Moray James.

I'm looking to put a decent, partially vintage, partially DIY system together for my office.

My budget is modest, but, I'm not willing to sell my soul! :P

Anyway, what I'm interested in particularly, is an early to mid 70's ss reciever from someone like Marantz or HK, any ball park suggestions on where to start looking?

TIA, Rick :)

You should consider a pair of nicely finished Heresy's as your speakers. Very nice looking, vintage, and top class sound. ~$400

Marantz 2252, 2265, 2285, 2330 have really been surprising me lately. These are all the number only (not 2285B for example). Beautiful sounding stuff.

FYI, with marantz, the 22xx speakers are stereo with xx watts per channel. The 23xx is stereo with 1xx watts per channel.

Those speakers you mention are 52 watts, 65 watts, 85 watts and 130 watts per channel stereo.

buy something new then. Any amp the age that you are describing will need to have all the electrolytic capacitors replaces in order to be reliable and safe to use (as in not blow up your speakers).

Just get a cheap new Sony. They sound better than those old receivers anyway.