CD Treatment......... Wadayathinx?

oscarsear

if you have a bulk tape erasser hanging about use that it's the same thing. Yes they work. I like to wash my disks with dish detergent to remove any mold release agent (usually lethicin these days). Then I like to sand the inner and outer disk edges and the centre clear flats both sides and then apply my favorite felt tip pen color. I finish off with a small rainbow piezo disk and enjoy. If I feel very energetic I wax the playing surface with clear paste wax let dry 10 minutes and buff. Takes more time but well worth it. I tend to spend the time for the wax job on disks that I really like. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

Anyone heard of this before?

Yes. I own one...the Quad Beam (shown just below the Hex Beam unit on that link). The build quality of the newer "low-profile" units is an order of magnitude over there older ones. 

I brought it with me to Indy when I also brought along the Panasonic XR-57 to demo. Of the music I played, everything was treated right there in the room before dropping into the player. Could only get a few people to listen to it at the time because it was towards the end of the day, but there where no complaints...a few skeptics I'm sure, but in the end, no one walked out saying it sounded offensive.

On certain discs, there's little to no difference. But on occasion I'll run into a disc where everything ends up simply leaping out of the system after a pass or two. When that happens, it's not subtle. CD's typically yield the biggest differences, with DVD's running a close second, and Blu-rays (with their much improved material selection and read error correction) remaining un-affected.

Worth it? Well, that depends on what your priorities are. For me, it was squeezing every last ounce of sound quality out of my CD library. I'll never sell mine so long as I still have CD media. Dealing with Gary has been a very professional and positive experience.

Not sure I understand what is going on here... I understand artifacts but what is happening with this unit to make the source better?

It temporarily improves the optical qualities of the disc. Although it employs hardware similar to a bulk magnetic eraser, the actual electro-magnetic process is not in the same category. See here: http://www.gocs1.com/gocs1/Psionics/SCALARBEAMER.htm for clues.

what is happening with this unit to make the source better?

cannot say for sure but it is very obvious and they work well. my best guess is that it charges up the disk and that impacts the servo mechanisms differently because of the different charge. Conductive tinsel which has been grounded and which touches the disk top as it plays helps to bleed of high static build up as well. green flood LED's help a lot too on the playing surface. lots of things that work some are hard to explain but they still work. Best regards Moray James.

Okay.........  this is interesting.  I know marred/dirty CD's certainly benefit from cleaning and waxing.  Yet for those like myself who do keep CD's properly stored this is not much of a problem.  As for this technique.........

Do CDs which are properly stored degrade in a manner that would benefit from this treatment?  If so, in what way do they degrade and why?  Is it the CD base material, its type of manufacture or how it is being kept?  Could it be the actual use of the CD that aggravates its playback quality?  After every 6 plays, the CD requires this type of refurbishing?  

This is what's bugging me about the product info here.  The understanding of the primary problem is fuzzy.  Some CDs need it - others don't.  Do some CD's require treatment frequently and others not at all - ever.  I am a pragmatic sort and I need this to make sense.  This causative lack here does make it smack of voodoo alchemy.  Is this some manufacturing treatment all CDs should be getting and some don't so a home remedy is a one time cure?  The 'need to' dots require some clearer definitions so I can link this together.  I am open for change but it does need real foundation.

• Like 2

Do CD's oxidize over time?

I know my old laser disks did... at least some of them did.

I dont think I have EVER had a single CD failure in the many decades I have owned them... could they sound better??? I have no idea.

CDs can be resurfaced eliminating scratches as long as it doesn't show through to the label side.  I did a thread on that in the Lounge section as that's my job as a volunteer at the library.   Resurface using finer and finer disc and then polishing. 

• Like 1

I'm sticking with my 4 leaf clover.

Milk hath literally shot out thine nostrils.

You sure do drink a lot of milk schu. lol

Myself with at least 3k cd's in my collection and fiancé with about 1500 cd's are very important to me

I like the method moray uses...very nice and yes save thousands of $.

I have a wonderful assortment of the brand 3m and many other paint/bodyshop materials(im talking enough to supply any shop for 6 months) so iv fiddled with some different substantial methods of upkeeping my cd's.

*What I am about to mention is a tough and very hard process at times so try a cd that is not important first before trying my below method of repair/resurfacing**. I know this threads not necessarily about repair although it takes time(hours possibly) although if there is a deep scratch you can start with 320 grit(then to 400-500-600, 1200, 1500 then soft pad/paper about 2k grit)*(I suggest not using 220 ever, its just too abrasive for most to all cd's unless you have practiced many, many times!) and work your way down to 3k then polish all by hand or very low rpm dremel type tool to resurface a cd. When using high rpm's you can ruin the cd in a second and some are more brittle than others. I am an absolutely amazing paint applicator. Along with that goes buffing etc...Although I grew up buffing cars im not the best at that unfortunately. Some people have an uncanny knack to buff out anything with air or electric tools as well as their hands. Myself I suggest buffing out by hand a little at a time. The more heat that the cd is opposed to the more damage that will occur(im talking seconds of rubbing a cd harshly by hand can cause damage). Years ago at a huge bodyshop I was second painter to another painter that could buff anything out it seemed(in this shop of over 45 worker ants there were 7 painters)...this other, the no. one painter taught me how he buffed cd's

So for the un replaceable cd's I take my time and sometimes take 20minutes a day(up to a couple weeks) to refinish/surface a cd.

To get superior performance out of cd's I simply clean them before loading to listen to them. Always use a silky glasses type cleaning rag(usually very small, the kind like an Oakley glasses bag) then keep In the jewel case when not using. Dust of any sort after time results in inferior surface. Also keep your laser clean with that same clothe.

No oxidation on cd's as far as I have found. I have some cd's from the early/mid 80's that are absolutely in new condition. If cd's were left in the weather on the other hand im sure a cloud of some sort of oxidation could occur.

Whats interesting to me and its with any kind of material(music playback material) is the quality of the cd's. Some are very soft then some are extremely brittle. I had a recording, a favorite of mine from the early 90's that just fell apart, from use? It had been in cd wallets pulled in and out, set on amps and left on tables....It could be that time also took it toll on this particular cd. Anyhow it crumbled like a cookie 4 years ago. Then after near a 4 year hunt I found a copy in Europe luckily and immediately offered the guy $50+ shipping and was good with me and simply sent it free. Ended up that it was not the quality original recording although it satisfied my need for the cd.

I have read and understood/understand that Tarheel resurfaces cd's on a whole nother level. So absolutely look at his thread on the subject. Im just stating what I have learned from experience and worked, if you take your time and practice first. I mean considering a good detail buff guy in a bodyshop makes at least $15 per hour and myself made double that while painting accumulating the hours to resurface a cd at home could cost near $120 easy

I have also spent some time messing with these $5k(used) cd polishing machines and they don't resurface although do a great job cleaning. There are resurfacing machine that are valued up over $20k I have read and seen 1 that some shops charge about $2-5 per cd depending on damage. I have never used one yet again im sure they do the job if its not a crack...

If its a crack the cd is trash. If your using an expensive cd playback unit "DO NOT PUT A CRACKED CD IN IT!" and if you are using a $5 cd player and care about it do not put a cracked cd in it as well! The inside hole of the cd gets cracks frequently, as does the edge and the center portion. Like mentioned above cd'd can have very different condition(soft to brittle) and that inner crack can let go fast. A cd spins at very high rpm's so I avoid cracks immediately when I find them I toss them.

A crack can be a spot...then it grows into a visable crack

The 4 leaf clover would be choice and im serious...Seems I lose a cd a week sometimes....if other abrasives such as glue get on cd's its done for that cd as well...I recently lost over $100 in brand new cd'd and a few used like new to a super 77 bottle explosion...im still fiddling with my PRICE best of cd and my aoxamoxoa cd although all that were damaged I have purchased new again...all of the cd's that I lost there were being replaced from the beginning when the super 77 glue spray bomb exploded...That explosion is another story...It ruined a bunch of stuff and 3m payed for the stuff...even an old 50" sony lcd

• Like 1

Oh yeah, and the cryo-treatments and cable burn-in devices..... could drive you crazy and your wallet empty. [if it costs a fortune, it must work right?]

Well, I gather that's why Oscar asked the question. Could save him some money...maybe not.  Could be that last tweak he is looking for. Is there an unwritten law against answering someone else's question?

I'm pragmatic too, that's why I wanted some first-hand experience with the device....my time, my money, on my system. Many others have done the same. It certainly isn't "new tech" by any stretch. :rolleyes:   I'm not trying to sell the damn thing, just reporting my experiences with it.

I didn't buy it on a whim, or because it was simply in vogue at the time, and I could have simply returned it.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and in the end I could easily hear differences (in a positive way), so I decided to keep it.

It temporarily improves the optical qualities of the disc. Although it employs hardware similar to a bulk magnetic eraser, the actual electro-magnetic process is not in the same category. See here: http://www.gocs1.com/gocs1/Psionics/SCALARBEAMER.htm for clues.

We are talking about optical discs?  This isn't claiming the photoelectric effect, is it? it's just ones and zeros - and parity bits--optically. 

It would take a lot of parity errors in a string to be audible at an interleaved 44.1 KHz.  And if you did have that many errors in a row, it'd probably be related to a scratch or foreign debris on the disc, right?

I read it: It still sounds like "audiophilia" - like magic stones.  :)

This one is cheaper and the repairs are more permanent: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GX31G6/

Oh yeah, and the cryo-treatments and cable burn-in devices..... could drive you crazy and your wallet empty. [if it costs a fortune, it must work right?]

Well, I gather that's why Oscar asked the question. Could save him some money...maybe not.  Could be that last tweak he is looking for. Is there an unwritten law against answering someone else's question?

I'm pragmatic too, that's why I wanted some first-hand experience with the device....my time, my money, on my system. Many others have done the same. It certainly isn't "new tech" by any stretch. :rolleyes:   I'm not trying to sell the damn thing, just reporting my experiences with it.

I didn't buy it on a whim, or because it was simply in vogue at the time, and I could have simply returned it.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and in the end I could easily hear differences (in a positive way), so I decided to keep it.

Not being critical of your experiences at all.  The marketing ad for the 'Hex' version of this product shows a before and after performance 'graph' of a treated CD.  This lends one to believe that they have objective measurement devices and utilization criteria beyond any persons subjective hearing experiences.  So, if they can assess and measure a bad disc, then they should be able to advise users 'why' CD's go bad, when they need treatment, etc.  That's the crux of my inquiry.  Is this a measurably defensible product or one based upon conjecture and reliant upon subjective testimonials?