Which 2" compression driver?

absolve2525

assuming the lower compression ratio in a horn transducer will result in a better sound, why don't we just use an 8" fullrange in a big horn with a big throat? (something like Oris 150 with a good 8 incher) in that case there will be no compression at all, the horn will only take care of the dispersion pattern and directivity.

just amazing: link

gallery_8233_162_87179.jpg

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

"Isn't the EVDH1a actually a 3" driver that is reduced to a 2"?"

Nobodey seems to get it.

The exit hole means little, it's the diaphragm area.

The bigger the diaphragm, the less pressure per square unit of throat area, the lower the distortion will be.

Almost all compression drivers have a compression ratio of about 10:1 (diaphragm area to area of the openings in the phase plug), the Community M200 being an exception (and why it sounds so good despite not measuring the best).

For midrange, the M200 (used in the Avantegarde Trio) sounds better than ........................(fill in the blank, including JBL, BMS, etc), but your tweeter will need to reach 4Khz.

So are you saying that if the EVDH1A had an exit of 3" it would have lower distortion and sound even better? Not sure what the phase plug is... Where do i find out what size it is on the EVDH1A?

Edited by ellisr63

"So are you saying that if the EVDH1A had an exit of 3" it would have lower distortion and sound even better?"

No, the area of the entrance slots in the phase plug is the determining factor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_plug

I have looked at the EVDH1a docs but i see no mention of the phase plug size... How do I find that out?

I understand that BMS is highly recommended, but I've heard good things about the latest Eminence Ti large format drivers also. I'm using K-horns with Crites 4500 crossovers on Vtrac horns and Beyma Cp 25 tweeters. I'd love to find a bargain, obviously. Thanks for suggestions!

If you are truly looking for a BARGAIN, then EV DH1A's are for you. You must get them with original diaphragms, though. they show up on Ebay quite frequently for about $100 each. Great drivers. Use them with a Beyma tweeter and you will be happy. Roy Delgado, Klipsch Chief Engineer tested mine in the chamber in Indy and said they were very good drivers. John Pope used those to convince PWK to go with Tractrix horn in his Dr. Thesis.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

"So are you saying that if the EVDH1A had an exit of 3" it would have lower distortion and sound even better?"

I have looked at the EVDH1a docs but i see no mention of the phase plug size... How do I find that out?

Why do you need to know? The Voice Coil/Diaphragm is 3" feeding a 1.5 in exit on the phase plug which feeds a conial expansion to 2" to feed your JBL horns.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Why do you need to know? The Voice Coil/Diaphragm is 3" feeding a 1.5 in exit on the phase plug which feeds a conial expansion to 2" to feed your JBL horns.

I was just curious.

If you are truly looking for a BARGAIN, then EV DH1A's are for you. You must get them with original diaphragms, though. they show up on Ebay quite frequently for about $100 each. Great drivers. Use them with a Beyma tweeter and you will be happy. Roy Delgado, Klipsch Chief Engineer tested mine in the chamber in Indy and said they were very good drivers. John Pope used those to convince PWK to go with Tractrix horn in his Dr. Thesis.

I think you mean John T. Post, not Pope. He left a teaching job at the University of Texas to run the family winery, Post Famile in Altus, Arkansas. Got to spend a pleasant afternoon with him after his move to Arkansas. You know how when you meet someone who is really smart?, (like PWK e.g.); you know you are in the presence of someone who is at the top of their intellectual game 24/7. John is one of those really smart guys. After PWK's passing, John got a few of PWK's office items including the giant slide rule you've seen in images of PWK in his office.

I would attach a copy of his thesis but the file size police won't allow a file >2 M. Here's a link to a 2006 post with the thesis.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/76303-dr-john-t-posts-thesis-on-tractrix-horns/

Lee

I think you mean John T. Post, not Pope. He left a teaching job at the University of Texas to run the family winery, Post Famile in Altus, Arkansas. Got to spend a pleasant afternoon with him after his move to Arkansas. You know how when you meet someone who is really smart?, (like PWK e.g.); you know you are in the presence of someone who is at the top of their intellectual game 24/7. John is one of those really smart guys. After PWK's passing, John got a few of PWK's office items including the giant slide rule you've seen in images of PWK in his office.

I would attach a copy of his thesis but the file size police won't allow a file >2 M. Here's a link to a 2006 post with the thesis.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/76303-dr-john-t-posts-thesis-on-tractrix-horns/

Lee

Thanks for the correction on my typo. Dr. Post's paper has the most comprehensive bibliography on horns and wave guides I have ever seen anywhere. Ain't science wonderful?

• 2 weeks later...

$75/ea is a great price

Agree, effectively over $100 each with shipping.  Those suckers weigh a ton!

+++

Earl, I'm dying to see the project you have in mind with your DH1A's, and hear your assessment of how they sound.

• Like 1

$75/ea is a great price

Agree, effectively over $100 each with shipping.  Those suckers weigh a ton!

+++

Earl, I'm dying to see the project you have in mind with your DH1A's, and hear your assessment of how they sound.

It will be awhile until I can get the crossovers from Al.

• Like 1