CL: RF-5,RC-3II,Hsu... (Gainesville)

billybob

Billy, OK to go sideways with a question about the RF-5 speaker (in general, not the ones listed here in CL)?

Specifically, it has 2 8" woofers.  I wonder how they might compare in power/sound/quality etc. to a speaker (in my case, 2 KG 4.2s) that has 1 10" active, and 1 10" passive speaker?

Any thoughts?

Actually I have heard neither. Do have RF-3's though which as 8 inch duals as well as the 5.

The watts the RF-3 and 5 are rated for tells me you could use more power to them and guessing they will go louder as well. Some owners of the RF-5 here really like them. Have had KG-4's and smaller, so I would look at the specs here for efficiency on the site to get a feel. Really liked my 4's and the RF-3 are really nice. Thinking the RF-5  would be an upgrade over KG-4.2's although, bet they sound good.

Hope this helps! Other's may chime in ...

Edited by billybob

The RF-5 is one of the best balanced best sounding Reference speakers (IMHO) that Klipsch has made.  Put a QUALITY 100 to 200 wpc amp on them and they'll pound pretty hard without making your ears bleed.  Great speaker.

I concur. They sounded great running off my Denon 3808ci and sounded even better when powered by an ATI 1502.

You know, and the thing is, this maybe a college student selling it.  E-mailed the seller for some more info.

Might be worth a hoot, and or a holler! All this talk about the RF-5's again, has me dreaming.

Thing is, just got another deal there the other week. :rolleyes: Maybe someone will grab it soon.

Off topic but not:

I was doing my daily search for things on Search Tempest early this morning (I'm sick, so I've been filling my early mornings/late nights with nothingness) and came across someone wanting to trade  an RC-3 II and two RB-5 II's for a PS4 and an Xbox One.  He stated that the 5's were MSRP'd for $700, and the 3 was $900.  LOLWUT... Love those drastic number people.

Also...I may be the proud owner of a new RC-3 II the week after next :D

• Like 1

Billy, OK to go sideways with a question about the RF-5 speaker (in general, not the ones listed here in CL)?

Specifically, it has 2 8" woofers.  I wonder how they might compare in power/sound/quality etc. to a speaker (in my case, 2 KG 4.2s) that has 1 10" active, and 1 10" passive speaker?

Any thoughts?

Its not fair to compare the 4.2's to the RF-5's. That would be like the Denver Broncos playing the best high school team in the country. They are both great speakers but just not in the same league. The RF-5 will put music in your face with very fast, accurate bass, baby bottom smooth mids and crystal clear highs. The RF-5 is a stellar speaker. Had it nor been for the deal I got on my RF-7's, I would still own the RF-5's and I would still be happy.  

• Like 2

I am really considering RF-5's being on my A-switch and moving my 3's to B duties sometime in the next year.  It'll either be 5's or 7's anyway... however...posts like this just make me sad.  I mean, if I was in the same spot 4 years ago, I'd have bought them by now.

You know, I looked at the spec's between the RF-3 and the RF-5 an did not see much diff., or more likely overlooked something. Seems there was 1db? of efficiency between the 2 and maybe a couple of pounds diff. Maybe need to look again. Or as *Moray pointed out, the Tractrix same as the RF-7. Maybe the combined w/ what better build, I wonder.

*philly0116  and others here speak highly of these. The 3's sound good to me, wonder if the bass is same as 5's?

Oh well

Edited by billybob

You know, I looked at the spec's between the RF-3 and the RF-5 an did not see much diff., or more likely overlooked something. Seems there was 1db? of efficiency between the 2 and maybe a couple of pounds diff. Maybe need to look again. Or as *Moray pointed out, the Tractrix same as the RF-7. Maybe the combined w/ what better build, I wonder.

Specs will tell you virtually nothing about how a speaker sounds.  It's amazing (as you may well know) how speakers with similar specs can sound SO much different than each other.