Any Palladium Owners Here?

russ69

I have a pair of P39's and when a (relatively) good deal popped up within driving distance I went for it. At the time I had LaScalas, Cornwalls, Heresys, Reference 7's and Legends. They are much smoother than any speaker I have ever owned but I am running them with a tube amp and tube pre-amp. I did compare a pair of LaScalas using the same amp/pre-amp combo and while the LaScalas were very impressive the Palladiums are just totally in another league..............but shouldn't they be?

That being said I don't feel they are the holy grail or anything like that nor do I feel they are worth the coin (retail or anywhere close to retail). I will more than likely allow someone else to enjoy them at some point and go back to LaScalas or Cornwalls.

• Moderators
Turbox, on 16 Sept 2014 - 7:35 PM, said:

Sound VS cost. Palladiums or pro line?

What makes that tough is it goes so much further than sound, they look so different, like from one end of the scale to the other as far as looks go. The "average person" considering Palladiums would never consider any of the Pro line. imo

I know it wasn't the question and I actually love the look of my speakers also, so I will hold out my answer for now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You really need to try something else to power them, it will surprise you .

I say this because I was using a Yamaha similar to you,(different speakers)  rx v730, and I was only using it for the pre-outs not even the amp.  

I switched out the Yamaha to a DAC, and not even a high priced DAC and the difference was shocking, better in every way by far. I would never go back to the Yamaha for 2 Ch even if just used for a pre-amp as I was. Even new the DAC is only $219 and has a volume knob and remote, it's designed to be used as a pre-amp and works great.

I would guess it's not the Yamaha's amp but the rest of the unit that is not giving you better sound. The say they use good parts in the AVR's for quality sound but in my case a $140 used DAC ran circles around the AVR. I say this because I was not using the Yamaha's amps and heard a big difference.

I am not saying your speakers are not sounding good, I thought mine sounded good until I switched, you can't tell until you try something different. 

The DAC I tried is the Emotiva XDA-1, I got it used for $140 just to try. Now the new XDA-2 model is out which is now $219 new, there almost exactly the same.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info dtel, it's interesting that a dac made that much of a difference. To me these speakers sound great, but I know there's so much more to be gained. 

I recently got re-married, and adopted her two daughters, so my spending habits have changed. The money I used to spend on motorcycles and racing, I wish I could spend on audio gear!

Thanks again, I'm off in search for a dac :D

• Moderators

I would like to see a mid driver out of the p 39

Anyone know if they are outsourced or in-house built?

I had a pic but having a hard time finding it, If I had to guess there outsourced. I only say this because on one pilgrimage tour of the plant they showed us the machine they used to magnetize the magnets before building the drivers, they said they had stopped building there own. They would design them and someone did the build to requested specs, it was just one step eliminated which was not important as long as they got the drivers the spec they wanted.  

I would like to see a mid driver out of the p 39

Anyone know if they are outsourced or in-house built?

I had a pic but having a hard time finding it, If I had to guess there outsourced. I only say this because on one pilgrimage tour of the plant they showed us the machine they used to magnetize the magnets before building the drivers, they said they had stopped building there own. They would design them and someone did the build to requested specs, it was just one step eliminated which was not important as long as they got the drivers the spec they wanted.  

I bet these are kept under a little tighter wraps being the flagship line.  I am guessing these behave much better with more power than the older heritage drivers.  They are measuring these different than the Heritage line though. Maximum total acoustic output is a whopping 126db, but it says measured two speakers in room?   The new K-horn is measured as a single and is just showing 121 db?   I thought all the LaScalas, Belles and K's were 124db max output. I wonder if they changed some things with the newer lines or they were just a little wishful posting the 124db max output.  Not that I ever want to be around 120+ db of anything, but found these specs a little strange.

• Moderators
Max2, on 18 Sept 2014 - 3:57 PM, said: I bet these are kept under a little tighter wraps being the flagship line. I am guessing these behave much better with more power than the older heritage drivers.

The close up pic I had was them setting on a metal rack waiting to be installed, they tested each one and matched sets to go in the speakers, they were different looking compared to any other driver I seen in the plant.

I thought I put a pic of that here once before, I can't find it in the hard drive it seems to have disappeared, hope I didn't remove my copy when I posted it ? I even went looking here to get the pic back, but I have no idea how long ago it was and got tired of searching.    

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1