Yaqin MS-12B users?

Rick J B

Anyone else using this preamp? I just got mine in yesterday and so far so good. :)

Best thing I can say so far is it lets me once again use my turntable in this new system.

I'm curious tho about different 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes any of you may have used besides the Chinese tubes that come with it.

• Like 3

Music Angle here, dual KT88s, pretty much same family as the Yaquin's.

As i learned a long time ago, china has perfected to "Copy", they invent very little.

My guy in Kowloon Hong Kong speaks pretty good "Engrish", we chatted last year and he stated there are aprox 500K American audio nuts, but in his country there is well over two million and if they dont make good stuff, someone will kill your family. pretty good perk for QC id say.

In all the years iv been buying and using imports, not once have i heard anyone who owned one say a bad word about them.

The biggie is the first purchase, i use Ebay, shipping sucks, but that is life. still beats buying into the Mac thing.

• Like 3

Lets see, here's a photo of the preamp.

new_audio_gear_and_tubes_005.jpg

My audio rack is full of other stuff so until the one I have on order arrives this gear is sitting in a window sill. :o:D

This thing is configured in a rather odd manner, the phono input is on the front, while the aux in and the two outputs are on the back. Oh yeah, the power switch is on the far side. :huh:

But as I said; it sounds good thus far. I've been looking at perhaps some NOS tube options, but I'm not paying the crazy prices that are out there so I may be shopping a while.

• Like 1

I have a Yaqin CD-1 tube buffer that I use on the tape monitor loop of my preamp to help my digital sources sound more tube-like.

I think I paid around $150 for it..........and at the time thought I got quite a lot for the money.  Nice looking unit, not cheaply built, heavy duty packaging.

Then I sent it to NOSValves and spent another $285 on it and had it all hot rodded with Auricaps and power supply improvements.

I stuffed it with an Amperex Bugle Boy.............and it's been a very very nice addition and does its job very well.

• Like 3

Speaking of Chinese amps/preamps, etc..... I have a Qinpu A-6000 MKII as a (very small) part of my system, and I have used it to power everything from KG 1.5's to Heresy's to Cornwalls.  I use it mostly for testing, but also for a quick set up, and take out to the backyard or garage.  It is well built, looks nice, and sounds nice for what it is.  I have not used it as a headphone amp, so can't comment on that.  I did change the tubes after receiving the stock unit as the included tubes were somewhat noisy.  Pretty good buy for about $249.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Qinpu-A-6000-Integrated-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0057OI448/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

• Like 1

I have a Yaqin CD-1 tube buffer that I use on the tape monitor loop of my preamp to help my digital sources sound more tube-like.

I think I paid around $150 for it..........and at the time thought I got quite a lot for the money.  Nice looking unit, not cheaply built, heavy duty packaging.

Then I sent it to NOSValves and spent another $285 on it and had it all hot rodded with Auricaps and power supply improvements.

I stuffed it with an Amperex Bugle Boy.............and it's been a very very nice addition and does its job very well.

Cool. I'm interested in some tube rolling for fun. Not sure about anything else under the hood tho, at least not soon. There's a long thread on the diy forums on modding these things and some of those guys do all kinds of stuff to them. :o:)

I agree on the build part, pretty impressive from what I've seen thus far.

Some of those NOS Bugle Boy tubes sure go for a nice price. Almost as bad as the Telefunken and Mullard tubes.

• Like 1

I'm curious tho about different 12AX7 and 12AU7 tubes any of you may have used besides the Chinese tubes that come with it.

The Chinese tubes may not be that bad. I replaced some Chinese tubes with some NOS General Electrics on a tube buffer and the Chinese tubes sounded better. Mullard reissues are nice for 12AXX tubes, if we haven't cut off Russian imports. 

• Like 1

The Chinese tubes may not be that bad. I replaced some Chinese tubes with some NOS General Electrics on a tube buffer and the Chinese tubes sounded better. Mullard reissues are nice for 12AXX tubes, if we haven't cut off Russian imports. 

I was looking at the new Mullard's earlier. I've heard they're good and may get a quad of them since I have two devices that use them.

Oh, also Russ, I'll bet there's a bunch of the new Mullard's already outside of Russia, so we should be good for a while. B)

Edited by Rick J B

I was looking at the new Mullard's earlier. I've heard they're good and may get a quad of them since I have two devices that use them.

Oh, also Russ, I'll bet there's a bunch of the new Mullard's already outside of Russia, so we should be good for a while. B)

I hope so but I just bought a small lot of 12AX7s and 12AU7s to be sure. I was really happy with the EL84 power tubes I recently bought, I might need to get more of those.

• Like 1

I hope so but I just bought a small lot of 12AX7s and 12AU7s to be sure. I was really happy with the EL84 power tubes I recently bought, I might need to get more of those.

I don't see them getting any cheaper.

Mullard reissues are nice for 12AXX tubes, if we haven't cut off Russian imports.

Is Mullard Russian?  I bought them regularly in the '50s -- now I probably need to go through the Freedom of Information Act to see if I was listed as a Commie.

Back in the day Mullard was a British company. But these days I think almost all tubes come from either Russia or China.

I think there might be an outfit making tubes in Canada tho, Northern Lights I think is the brand.

Mullard reissues are nice for 12AXX tubes, if we haven't cut off Russian imports.

Is Mullard Russian?  I bought them regularly in the '50s -- now I probably need to go through the Freedom of Information Act to see if I was listed as a Commie.

Mullard re-issues, not original Mullards.

I have a Yaqin phono preamp (MS-22B) that I have happily used for several years.  I ran it with a few different 12AX7s and eventually settled on a pair of TJ Full Music. They were a little pricey but but work well in this application.

I don't believe I had heard of these before. And yes, they're expensive, the ones I saw were $95.00 per. I did read some really good reviews on them tho once I had googled them. :)

I have an integrated yaqin 10L that has some mods with big power cord and some vintage tubes in it. Its crystal clear at idle as well as pause. Sounds absolutely wonderful with gobs of power and all for about $1k

Iv heard amps that cost more than homes and sure id love to own one of them to sell...

yaqins are a very economical and good alternative to the big dollar tube gear

Everybody that buys most of these Chinese tube units keep it/them unless they bought to test/examine or need money and a some people buy big dollar brands to feel cool. Yaqin offers way more for pennies on the dollar. Amazing is all I can say to the Chinese on their tube gear! And thanks!

• Like 4

Everybody that buys most of these Chinese tube units keep it/them unless they bought to test/examine or need money and a some people buy big dollar brands to feel cool. Yaqin offers way more for pennies on the dollar. Amazing is all I can say to the Chinese on their tube gear! And thanks

Beeker, I never though to that.  I have sold several amps in the last 1 1/2 years but, kept the Yaquin.  I guess that is  saying a lot..

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Everybody that buys most of these Chinese tube units keep it/them unless they bought to test/examine or need money and a some people buy big dollar brands to feel cool. Yaqin offers way more for pennies on the dollar. Amazing is all I can say to the Chinese on their tube gear! And thanks

Beeker, I never though to that.  I have sold several amps in the last 1 1/2 years but, kept the Yaquin.  I guess that is  saying a lot..

It is very interesting. I watch for the 10L I have for sale on ebay from time to time and have only seen 1 that was for sale used in over a years time. Never seen any other used yaqins. Even the music angels which are different although made and distributed by the same group are never for sale used.

I sold a factory stock yaqin 10L about a year ago to a local friend that wanted to try tube gear....he is as well very happy with it.

I have done side by side comparisons with a good amount of mid to high(not side by side w/ultra high end) end tube gear and cannot justify the price of gear costing excessive amounts honestly, just for the brand name. Sure McIntosh gear is labled in America although the internals...well I hate to burst bubbles they are near all originally foreign. Yes there are very nice caps to gold leads etc...within some gear etc..."some" assembly may be in New Jersey but nothing is 100% American and regardless I want to save my American dollars. I support our nation as much as possible and a line has to be drawn where the 350%+ markup is at...or the jabs the Chinese may make taking and making average people happy consumers and yes others have names going back into the 1950's+ yet again as the price point for the same thing for a brand name, well china gets my applause for such great copies.

The stock 10L is very good. With a good honest tech and few hundred dollars these Chinese units can be taken up a notch. Even before that better tubes(or a bit of rolling) and a good power cord for a couple hundred $ you will get a little more out of these copied amps and gear.

There is an American distributor out of Illinois that uses Yaqin and others under the name SILK that are made in china. Some of these units have some very low quality tubes and have not found as much welcome from new tube consumers who do not try better tubes to get what they would find better but there is an American movement with Chinese units. Also the negativity some people have with china has made this SILK gear from much of a warm reception.

Also the Yaqin/music angel direct online site offers some very nice high end cables to dac's as well as pre's and amplifiers.

I do suggest some tube rolling to get the tone a Mcintosh or the like would provide as well as a thicker power cable. If you may not like it compared from there a good honest tech can do a little work to get what $4-5k tube amps do.

• Like 2