WTB: Who here is using Straight Talk phone service? What do you think?

JL Sargent

That's why I'm crying.

Funny thing. I just checked my ATT account online and I was offered 2 lines w unlimited talk/text and 2 GB of data for $90. That is almost as good as the deal you can get with Straight Talk.

That's the plan that my daughter and I am on I believe.  If you want to get a good deal, just call them up and tell them you're wanting to cancel your account and go with another provider.  Works great.

Long-time Verizon guy here.  We changed from land line all cellular about 8 years ago, with 5 phones, all talk and text.  We don't always have to have the Latest and Greatest, except for my daughter, of course.  When our initial 2-year contract expired, she went with the new-at-the-time iPhone4s for $200 and the requisite 2 year contract.

Thanks to my children growing up (yay) we were reduced to three phones, $160 month including a company discount, for which we got unlimited talk/text and 4 GB of data to share among all lines.  The Straight Talk is highly regarded and I wanted to try it, for $30 a month for talk/text.  There is a little data, but it's not really useable for 500 MB.  I figured for $30 a month, if it was unreliable I could switch back and it cost me little to try it out.

Bottom line, is a couple of months ago we ditched Verizon altogether, and have Straight Talk service, using our old Verizon phones.  Since Straight Talk leases their lines from Verizon and ATT, the transfer of phones was easy, porting the previous numbers over was easy.  Service area coverage and reliability is exactly the same.

I did have to talk to someone about a problem.  The support number I'm very sure was in India.  The customer reps spoke good English.  The biggest trouble was the actual connection to India had some dropped sound at times, but overall was pretty good.  My wait time for customer service was about 2-3 minutes, at most.  If you want, you can leave your number and they will call you back, as if you had stayed on the line, again only a couple of minutes wait.  My problems were resolved.  I would give the customer service a solid 8 out of 10.

We now have two Straight Talk lines, a Verizon/Apple 4s at $45 month unlimited everything, and my line which is talk/text for $30 per month.  My old Verizon/LG phone ported right over, there is no difference in any quality or coverage, no roaming charges.  We have the phones automatically renewed every month.

And if I don't like anything, of if prices lower next month, I can change, NO CONTRACT.

+++

And unless I miss my guess, with iPhone 6 out today, there should be MILLIONS of last year's iPhones available, hopefully for cheap.

If you decide to make the switch, let me know and I'll update you on a couple things not on the website, which can cost you some money.

Edited by wvu80