Finally blew the circuit breaker

derrickdj1

I had a scare today demoing the subs.  I knocked off a couple of breakers.  Two of the breaker I thought had nothing to do with the subs.  I have two dedicated 15 amp circuits for the HT and only 2 subs per circuit.  This is the first time this has ever happen.  Is it just a fluke or do I need more amperage?  I should mention that I had the electric fireplace on.  I don't think it uses that much juice.

System was at reference (0), 5 hot on the subs, speakers set to small to decrease HT amp power draw.  It felt like a twister in the room prior to shut down, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 2

I checked all the wiring on the speakers, amps and sub connections.  I have ran the system 5 db hot lots of time with no problem.  I can tell now that all the subs are broken in since I set them up in August.  I am sure the I Nuke amp were not at the limit because the dial will turn from orange to red and the clip lights would have all been red constanly.

Edited by derrickdj1

Maybe your breakers are getting old? I am currently trying to figure out a electrical noise problem with my Insteon lighting.... Which works fine but no longer can be controlled via PC. I am going to replace all the breakers in the house (about 20 year old breakers I think). We had one making some crackling noise a couple of months ago (which I will never be able to hear in the HT since it is behind a removable wall panel), and I figure better safe than sorry. I also heard that over time the breakers will flip before their rated limit... Of course they could fail to I believe.

Is your wiring heavy enough for use with 20 amp breakers?

I would have to have an electrician run wire for 20 amp circuit.  I am like others, I thin the electronic fireplace was the culprit.  That  is the new piece in the room.  If I stay at -5 from reference I think I will be OK.  I don't watch most movies at reference.  I have an I Nuke 3000 DSP and 6000 DSP on each circuit and the rest of the gear split between the two circuits.  The firplace is on one of the circuit.