RF82-II 5.1/7.1 Setup suitable Receiver

LordShadda

Hi Again,

I'm in 2 minds now whether to go 7.1 or just go with 5.1

I don't even think I'll go ATMOS now, might look at it another time.

Does anyone know whether the Onkyo TX-NR 737 would be suitable to run this setup in 5.1 or 7.1 if I get the extra 2 speakers for the sides.

Thanks guys

The Onk 737 is the updated version of what I have, the 717.  The 737 gets Bluetooth, Atmos processing, and uses its own version of Audessey.  Otherwise, it looks pretty much the same (110 wpc -> 8 ohms 2 channels driven) as mine.

My Onk TX-NR 717 is  billed as "7.2."  That means I can run 7.2 as advertised, or I can bi-amp using the surround back channels (you change the settings to bi-amp mode in the AVR software menu) making it 5.1 with bi-amp, you can't have both.

My setup runs a couple of power hungry Klipsch CF-4 (dual 12 woofs) up front.  I am VERY happy with 5.1. My use is mainly HDTV, lots of music, then DVD/BD  movies last.  It probably does DVD/BD the best.  Blu Ray sound in movies is fantastic.

+++

Edit:  This is quoted from the Onk site on the 737, but this is the same as mine:

"You can also assign the Surround Back channels to bi-amp your compatible front loudspeakers, while two parallel subwoofer outputs enable the connection of a second subwoofer for balanced and powerful bass sound."

Edited by wvu80

Nice purchase, however my buddy has that receiver with a pair of rf 62s and to be honest it sounds muddy compared to my pioneer elite. It could be his room accoustics but it seems muddy or muffled compared to the quality of my pioneer. I could also be used to the more bright sound of my pioneer. Great receiver though all around. The video processor works great in that receiver.

Edited by Gas0line

To me, Onkyo's signature sound is a crisp, sharply attacking sound.

And about as neutral as you can get.  

My experience is that Onkyo presents what is fed into it, no more or no less unless manually over equalized.

Bill

Does anyone know whether the Onkyo TX-NR 737 would be suitable to run this setup in 5.1 or 7.1 if I get the extra 2 speakers for the sides.

Note that the two extra speakers going from 5.1 to 7.1 go to the rear.  In a 5.1 system, the surrounds should be on your sides, not your rear.