Bought a new R-12SW!

angusruler

I'm surprised the center can keep up with the mains.  Did you ever try a phantom center prior to the R25C?

No, not even sure what that means (?). The room is about 20x14 and the RC25 sounds good.

The center channel isn't as efficient as the mains and can't play as loud.  You really need to cut back on the mains output because the center can't "keep up" with them.

A phantom center is when you tell your receiver that you don't have a center and the center channel info goes to the RF and LF. speakers.  When you sit in the middle, it sounds like you actually have a center channel hooked up.

• Like 1

The center channel isn't as efficient as the mains and can't play as loud.  You really need to cut back on the mains output because the center can't "keep up" with them.

I have my RC-64 set to -3 db, otherwise it totally overpowers my RF-7ii's. YMMV.

The center channel isn't as efficient as the mains and can't play as loud. You really need to cut back on the mains output because the center can't "keep up" with them.

I have my RC-64 set to -3 db, otherwise it totally overpowers my RF-7ii's. YMMV.
everyones setup is gonna be different. Room dependent and how far away all come into account. All my front three cal at -12 cause they are too efficient for my room.

I did that due to coming straight off of kl-650's. Everything was even and I had this seamless wall of sound. Directly swapped the rc-64 and rf-7ii's and felt like the center was much stronger than I was used to so I manually killed it a little.

• Like 1

I don't see how this applies to what I was referring to.

So you got rid of your thx ultra to switch to the 7 and 64?

I actually still have the THX's. Some things the Reference setup does better, some things the THX does better. On dialog, THX rules, hands down. On rock music, the Reference is much better. There is midbass detail that is very weak almost to the point of being non-existent on the THX's plus cymbal crashes sometimes sounds pretty tinny like the tone isn't right.

I do feel that even the RC-64 is significantly stronger for rock in terms of getting a good growl. The sound of the beater hitting the skin on kick drums, wah-wah pedals attached to bass guitars, the depth of a growly male singer's voice, etc., all come alive with the RC-64 comparatively, it can anchor kick drums to the screen in a way that I have never experienced with the THX. Being able to run the RF-7ii's full range sounds more realistic to me as well.

But yeah on a typical movie, the dialogue and a seamless front stage was nicer on the THX. Good mixes were real nice, Star Wars: The Clone Wars was way cool on them.

I don't see how this applies to what I was referring to.

Sorry, I took it as general advice for everything but I had to do the opposite.

In stead of saying "the" center, maybe I should have said "your" center to avoid confusion in my response to TJlann.

Edited by CECAA850

I'm surprised the center can keep up with the mains.  Did you ever try a phantom center prior to the R25C?

No, not even sure what that means (?). The room is about 20x14 and the RC25 sounds good.

A phantom center is when you tell your receiver that you don't have a center and the center channel info goes to the RF and LF. speakers.  When you sit in the middle, it sounds like you actually have a center channel hooked up.

I did a distance setup and calibration on it with my sound meter and set the center to +5dB with the left main at -2dB and the right at -4dB (sub at -2dB). The center handles itself pretty well. I would like to try that phantom center though. Sounds pretty cool.

The receiver is putting almost twice the power to the center when compared to the mains to maintain the same SPL across the front 3.

I run the mains with a McIntosh MC2105. The center right now is run with an Outlaw Audio Monoblock amp. Like I said a few posts back, I mainly listen to music in stereo. Movies and surround sound are secondary to me and in my room the volume is not turned up that loud for movies. Why would the additional power to the center matter when it's rated for 100W and I'm nowhere near that?

Why would the additional power to the center matter when it's rated for 100W and I'm nowhere near that?

It would only matter when either the amp or speaker start to run out of steam.  You may notice it on loud passages as transient spikes eat up headroom.  If it sounds good than that's all that matters.  I was just pointing out the difference in efficiencies of your front 3.

• Like 1