Bought a new R-12SW!

angusruler

• Moderators

*I* eluded to no such thing.

i-see-what-you-did-there-meme.jpg

Me too. 

Looking forward to seeing what's around the corner.  I keep telling these guys to be patient, give Klipsch the benefit of the doubt.  Amy said there were some really exciting things to come.  I trust Amy.

• Administrators

What I can say is this:

Klipsch has no current plans to release a sub that is better than the R-115SW at this time. We feel extremely confident that this is a great subwoofer, and it was even built with RF-7 systems in mind. It's that good, especially at the price point it's at. It really opens up the door for economically adding a dual-subwoofer setup that doesn't sacrifice on quality, in any regard. These are seriously bad-*** subs.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Chad, can you check with Klipsch to see if they would be willing to send me one to review for the forums?  As always, I'll take High Res images and will do a side by side comparison between the R-115SW and the RSW-15 and would promote my findings here as well as in the AVS Forum.  :D   I say that tongue-in-cheek but would be more than happy to do that if Klipsch would be open to it.  ;)

well, my impressions..........I installed the sub in my master bedroom system to start. I'm not disappointed!

watched a few scenes from the 2nd Christian bale batman movie. besides forgetting how GREAT heath ledger was as the joker, the sub handled all the scenes just as well as my RW12d.

so, im going to leave it this way for a while, and hook up my RW12d in my family room system, eventually. it's a much bigger room for one thing.

I can't go in to all the technical talk I see on this forum everyday, I'm not that educated on all the terms. but I do know it sounds tight, and not boomy when I get the volume right.

post-45111-0-86560000-1413578544_thumb.j

post-45111-0-76160000-1413578570_thumb.j

• Like 1

Just picked one of these SWs up this morning at best Buy, along with the matching R25 center channel speaker to round out a 5.1 system around my Cornwalls (front) and Heresys (back). I'm more of a stereo/music person than a movie surround person, so I wanted a decent SW and center without breaking the bank. These sound/perform/look very nice. And, it's nice to have an all-Klipsch speaker system. :)

Edited by TJIann

To me the problem with that is they aren't gonna want negative feedback on stuff. When you read reviews in magazines and in websites they rarely have much bad to say about them.

Only bad things I've got to say about mine is that the finish is a bit lacking to say the least, at least initially it seemed a little boomy in the upper subwoofer frequencies possibly due to a resonance issue but am not sure yet, and I don't like the green LED light on the front, I think it should be blacked out.

Otherwise, they're badass. The two of them is making me seriously consider ditching my ultimax 18 and iNuke 6000 setup.

To me the problem with that is they aren't gonna want negative feedback on stuff. When you read reviews in magazines and in websites they rarely have much bad to say about them.

Only bad things I've got to say about mine is that the finish is a bit lacking to say the least, at least initially it seemed a little boomy in the upper subwoofer frequencies possibly due to a resonance issue but am not sure yet, and I don't like the green LED light on the front, I think it should be blacked out.

Otherwise, they're badass. The two of them is making me seriously consider ditching my ultimax 18 and iNuke 6000 setup.

maybe I should order a pair to try. I have a very hard time believing they would make you consider selling dual UM 18's unless you still haven't set them up right yet. Which in that case you need to do ASAP

I have a very hard time believing they would make you consider selling dual UM 18's unless you still haven't set them up right yet.

I'm assuming his 18's are sealed.  If that's the case it's not a stretch to think that a ported 15 would at least keep up, especially around the Fb of the box.

I have a very hard time believing they would make you consider selling dual UM 18's unless you still haven't set them up right yet.

I'm assuming his 18's are sealed.  If that's the case it's not a stretch to think that a ported 15 would at least keep up, especially around the Fb of the box.

Yes they are sealed. The end result of the two different setups are much different than I expected. I love the 18's at least at high power, but down at the lowest audible frequencies, quite honestly these 15's are beating them. No they're not set up in terms of setting limiters as I'm sure you're thinking but in terms of sound output down low when I'm flexing the hell out of them, yeah the Klipsch is more than keeping up, especially down low. It makes me want to put the 18's in a ported box, except after port, bracing, and driver displacement, I'm literally looking at about 28 cubic feet worth of boxes to tune it to 15 hz. That's literally what it would take to outperform these Klipsch 15's. Which, is pretty ridiculous. I could probably get away with the 8 cubic foot per driver version but that's pretty much the minimum, Dayton recommends 12 cubic feet internal per driver, then you've got multiple 44" long ports you have to accommodate.

I will say that the 18's have a smoother upper roll-off, or something. The Klipsch's don't sound as clean at the upper sub frequencies. 20 something hz though these 15's are outputting more than the 18's, surprising as it may be.

Actually this really shouldn't be all that surprising. Consider the article below by SVS:

http://www.svsound.com/t/sealed-vs-ported

"The result is 2-4X more peak dynamic output in the 18-36 Hz octave as compared to a sealed subwoofer in the same family/price range."

FOUR times the output! !!!!??!! Look at that graph, at 18 hz you're looking at like 94 db vs. around 102, at 16 hz it's even worse, about 9 db difference. Considering 6 db is the equivalent of doubling both your drivers and power, then double your power again to get another 3 db... that's a huge friggin difference.

I realize we're comparing apples to oranges to some extent, but when I see a sealed 18 flexing hard, then I see a ported 15 flexing not as hard but putting out more sound, and I've experimented with every position possible in the room with both, I'm going to call a spade a spade and say that really has nothing to do with how I set up my DSP on the iNuke.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters