Tooting my own horn just a little...

moray james

This past weekend Rachel at Grant Fidelity did something a little bit different and a brave thing to do(Ian passed away this past summer). Grant Fidelity was at the Toronto Taves Consumer Electronics Show in Toronto. Grant Fidelity is all about high performance at low prices. This year Rachel decided to show folks the lineage of the excellent Chinese electronics that she sells. So displayed this year at the show were the two flagship amplifiers from Jungson (solid state) and Psvane (tubes). To demonstrate these fine amplifiers Rachel brought in a brand new open baffle full range loudspeakers from PureAudioProject the brain child of Ze’ev Schlik. I was fortunate enough to be asked to go along and I provide my analog and digital interconnects along with my modified Sony DVD player as our system source and my AC noise reduction devices. This turned out to be a one two three knock out success as 6 Moons Reviewer Tim Smith declared the Grant Fidelity room as "Best Sound at the Taves 2014 Show". What a great experience and what a wonderful time playing and listening to music. Thanks to Rachel and Ze'ev for making all of this possible. I think that Ian is feeling very pleased right now. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/taves2014/3.html

Edited by moray james
  • Like 4

• Moderators

Sounds like a success, high fidelity at even reasonable prices is a good goal, sounds like it was fun. :emotion-21:

And yes, affable was a good choice of words to describe MJ . :)

Edited by dtel

Hmm.  Maybe highly competitive in the 845 realm, but I still consider multi-kilobuck amps of any stripe as "expensive".  I guess the audiophile crowd has different definitions. 

But don't mind my grousing so early in the morning.  Congrats on getting recognition for your part of this event.  It looks like fun was had by all, and that's what really matters.

Hmm.  Maybe highly competitive in the 845 realm, but I still consider multi-kilobuck amps of any stripe as "expensive".  I guess the audiophile crowd has different definitions. 

But don't mind my grousing so early in the morning.  Congrats on getting recognition for your part of this event.  It looks like fun was had by all, and that's what really matters.

LOL. Yes I agree about this. I ran many of my 2 channel horns stacks with $26 Tripath stereo chip amps that were tested in the Klipsch Lab in Indianapolis as being "a really good 6 Watt/channel amplifier".

AND I was using them on the weaker WOOFER sections, too, not my K-402/K1133's which had 10 db more sensitivity than the woofer section. I also sold a pair of Khorns using that amp for a demo.

PWK's "good 5 Watt amplifier" was realized pretty cheaply. Too bad he didn't live to see it.

I think that Ian is feeling very pleased right now. Best regards Moray James.

The sound of a good Open Baffle loudspeaker provides the best 3 dimensional imaging I have ever heard from only 2 speakers. I am not surprised at this. Good one. 

As I said Grant Fidelity is all about fidelity and value. The amplifiers displayed at this show were chosen to let people know that these two Chinese manufactures really know what high end sound is all about. Psvane are first and foremost a tube manufacturer and they build some amplifiers to showcase their tube work. The intent was to build confidence in consumers for the entry level products that these companies build. Psvane has a wonderful integrated KT120 based stereo amp which is quite spectacular. While this amp was on static display we did play one for about three hours late on Saturday evening and discussed inserting into the system but decided it best to stick with the 845 amps as so many folks were visiting to hear their amazing sound. Never the less the KT120 integrated amp is truly worth your consideration, I was very much impressed by its sound and super price.

We had a fantastic time in Toronto where everyone was very friendly and amazing restaurants abound. Shows like this are a great time and an excellent reality check on the state of audio. It's a chance to meet new folks see and heat new things and to learn a lot from industry leaders and mavericks alike. Best regards Moray James.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/Psvane-TC5-Integrated-KT120-Tube-Amplifier.html