CEDIA boot camp

Paducah Home Theater

So, little known fact about me, I'm in the process of starting up a local custom installation business.  I know other local professional installers and I think I can do better.  I even directly hired one a couple years ago for design help and it was quite the joke, better recommendations could have come out of a forum even from non-professionals.  So, with my engineering background I hope to do things a bit different. 

So, with that in mind, here's the deal... this week is CEDIA boot camp week.  6 days in Indy.  The last 3 days is home theater, Thursday through Saturday I believe.  Think it's worth $1,100 plus three $90 a night hotel rooms and 10 hours of driving?  I've been watching videos and I keep saying I've done that, I've done that, I've done that... what I haven't done is high end projector calibration and design.  Best I can tell, this aspect is the best I could hope to get out of it, apparently there's not so well known standards regarding most everything in the projector world plus I just don't really know how to calibrate them properly.  Can't decide if I should go for that alone or not.  Thoughts? 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well it sounds to me just reading your post you want one of us to give you a push........"do it".....if you are thinking about starting up a intsall business then this might really help you. Even if you already know alot you can always learn somthing new. New ideas, new way of doing things, new people.

Not to change-up but I have been a auto tech for 27+ years, and sometimes I'll drag my butt to a class and if I take one new thing out of it.......it's worth it.

So my two cents is.......do it........there is your push.....lol lol

• Moderators

Congrats on the new custom installation business.  As far as the boot camp, I'm sure you would likely benefit even from some of the other seminars, even if you are well versed and have extensive knowledge in the subject of custom installation.  Will the knowledge you walk away be worth $1500, not sure.   Guess it depends on if that information will help you make more money.  If it does, and you can get a good return on your investment, I think it would be worth it.  But then again, even if you don't physically see a ROI directly from the calibration seminars, you will still walk away with more knowledge and I'm a firm believer any time you can add to your knowledge, it will open up doors down the road and help set you apart from your competition.  Only you can decide whether or not that is worth $1500 to you.  :D

• Like 1

Are you experienced in standard video calibration? For regular consumer HDTVs and monitors?

I was a small-time professional video calibrator for several years and 90% of what I learned through my own research applied to mid and high-end projectors as well, especially the CRT direct-view and CRT/DLP rear-projection TV experience.

Congrats on the new custom installation business.  As far as the boot camp, I'm sure you would likely benefit even from some of the other seminars, even if you are well versed and have extensive knowledge in the subject of custom installation.  Will the knowledge you walk away be worth $1500, not sure.   Guess it depends on if that information will help you make more money.  If it does, and you can get a good return on your investment, I think it would be worth it.  But then again, even if you don't physically see a ROI directly from the calibration seminars, you will still walk away with more knowledge and I'm a firm believer any time you can add to your knowledge, it will open up doors down the road and help set you apart from your competition.  Only you can decide whether or not that is worth $1500 to you.  :D

Yeah the whole ROI thing is whats on my mind.  I don't want to shell that out if there's a book or DVD that can teach me the same thing.  I've been to plenty of conferences before but I wasn't the one writing the check.  Kinda makes you wonder if its worth it more in that situation.  :)  

Regarding the boot camp, you almost need time to find out if you could contact someone as a reference that actually took the course in the past in order to better evaluate the content of this ‘boot camp’ course.  At a minimum, a more detailed syllabus of the course may be helpful in your making a decision to attend.

In my experience, the term boot camp is not necessarily synonymous with a course designation that you will finish the course as an “expert.”  The term seems more synonymous with “we will cover a lot of topics at a very fast pace.”  On a side note, the boot camp type trainings that I have attended, developed course material, or that I have facilitated in my industry are primarily introductory courses designed to cover a lot a basic material at a very fast pace.  Courses related to more specific aspects touched upon in boot camp come next.

In addition, if you are working toward some type of CEDIA certification, note that CEDIA’s Boot Camp education program and CEDIA Certification Preparation Seminars do not award continuing education units (“CEUs”) to students.

From the “objectives” stated on the website, upon completion of the course, attendees should be able to:

(1) Describe the digital and analog signals and formats currently used in audio and video systems and how they are processed and used within the system

(2) Describe the function of various audio and video interconnects

(3) Understand the basics of room acoustics, acoustical treatment, and sound transmission issues

(4) Install components in a professional rack configuration, taking into consideration thermal management and ergonomics

(5) Utilize proper documentation and labeling of the installation

(6) Install and mount a projector, flat-panel display, and loudspeakers according to recognized industry standards (CEDIA Technical Reference Manual and CEA/CEDIA Recommended Practices)

(7) Perform basic audio and video calibration to ensure optimum system performance

The list sure seems ambitious for a 3-day seminar and I suspect in this field too, the course is most likely an introductory course.

So, little known fact about me, I'm in the process of starting up a local custom installation business.  I know other local professional installers and I think I can do better.  I even directly hired one a couple years ago for design help and it was quite the joke, better recommendations could have come out of a forum even from non-professionals.  So, with my engineering background I hope to do things a bit different. 

So, with that in mind, here's the deal... this week is CEDIA boot camp week.  6 days in Indy.  The last 3 days is home theater, Thursday through Saturday I believe.  Think it's worth $1,100 plus three $90 a night hotel rooms and 10 hours of driving?  I've been watching videos and I keep saying I've done that, I've done that, I've done that... what I haven't done is high end projector calibration and design.  Best I can tell, this aspect is the best I could hope to get out of it, apparently there's not so well known standards regarding most everything in the projector world plus I just don't really know how to calibrate them properly.  Can't decide if I should go for that alone or not.  Thoughts? 

Since most here are probably not familiar, what area is your engineering background and experience? For example, civil, mechanical, electrical, electronic, chemical, etc.?

Over the years, my friends and acquaintances with formal training and application in engineering disciplines have made very successful transitions into other fields in business.

Yeah the whole ROI thing is whats on my mind.  I don't want to shell that out if there's a book or DVD that can teach me the same thing.  I've been to plenty of conferences before but I wasn't the one writing the check.  Kinda makes you wonder if its worth it more in that situation.   :)

I suspect that at this point you do not have enough information to make a determination if there will by any type of ROI for this course and I'm not sure if you have enough time to gather the appropriate level of information you may need before the course starts this Thursday.

Regarding the boot camp, you almost need time to find out if you could contact someone as a reference that actually took the course in the past in order to better evaluate the content of this ‘boot camp’ course.  At a minimum, a more detailed syllabus of the course may be helpful in your making a decision to attend.

Exactly, I can't make a determination on what little is out there.

In my experience, the term boot camp is not necessarily synonymous with a course designation that you will finish the course as an “expert.”  The term seems more synonymous with “we will cover a lot of topics at a very fast pace.”  On a side note, the boot camp type trainings that I have attended, developed course material, or that I have facilitated in my industry are primarily introductory courses designed to cover a lot a basic material at a very fast pace.  Courses related to more specific aspects touched upon in boot camp come next.

I was afraid of this. It sounded cool but I am afraid it is halfway designed for getting an 18 year old installer who has never seen this stuff before ready to go work for somebody else. I'm not interested in that. I've seen hardcore boot camps that guarantees passing a particular certification at the end, PMP project management certification or MCSE stuff for example, but this does not seem to be like that.

In addition, if you are working toward some type of CEDIA certification, note that CEDIA’s Boot Camp education program and CEDIA Certification Preparation Seminars do not award continuing education units (“CEUs”) to students.

Very interested in this, I need to research the certification paths further.

Since most here are probably not familiar, what area is your engineering background and experience? For example, civil, mechanical, electrical, electronic, chemical, etc.?

Electrical, software, telecommunications, sometimes all three at the same time. :)

I suspect that at this point you do not have enough information to make a determination if there will by any type of ROI for this course and I'm not sure if you have enough time to gather the appropriate level of information you may need before the course starts this Thursday.

Exactly. Completely agree.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Exactly, I can't make a determination on what little is out there.

I was afraid of this. It sounded cool but I am afraid it is halfway designed for getting an 18 year old installer who has never seen this stuff before ready to go work for somebody else. I'm not interested in that. I've seen hardcore boot camps that guarantees passing a particular certification at the end, PMP project management certification or MCSE stuff for example, but this does not seem to be like that. 

Although there are no specific prerequisites recommended for the course, I suspect that there will still be a portion of people that enroll that do not pass.  From an extreme, think about it this way, could your Art Major friend from college that does not have a technical bone in his or her body, pass this course (or even the people you know with technical jobs that 'can't set the clock back an hour')?

I have always been a proponent of education, training, and learning for a multitude of reasons; one being that for every large step or two backward that I have been forced to make in my life, additional education and training has resulted in a “net gain” of at least one step forward from where I was at in the first place.  Another being that no one person can do everything or know everything himself or herself; however, by keeping current from a training perspective, even if not directly related, the training may aid the understanding of what may be out there from a technological, consultative, or networking (with experienced people in the industry) perspective and these aspects provide cetain intangible benefits too.

Even when I decided in my late 30s to go to a state college for a formal baccalaureate degree, I subjected every elective in the program to a type of 'SWOT analysis' to see how it would fit with the projected skills I was trying to develop in the industry I wanted to enter and provide a basis on where I wanted to go in that industry.  It drove the counsellors’ nuts as they were trying to recommend courses that wouldn’t kill my grade point average; however, my average was fine upon graduation and I ended up with a major in accounting and minors in both information technology (one course from a major but already had an offer from a major firm and a start date contingent on my graduating that semester) and industrial psychology.

Sometimes these courses can be great networking (with experienced people) opportunities to develop industry contacts.  Also, maybe when you start to do something for a picky individual customer paying large dollars for a job, you will have already learned about the really bad things that can happen with a customer relationship, let alone profitability of a job, if untrained and unpracticed.

I found this write-up regarding a CEDIA boot camp as it looks like Sound and Vision sent someone to attend the “Installer boot camp” back in 2006 and the writer of the article seemed to find the course had great benefit.  However, I did not have time to search if there are any posted complaints on any of the forums regarding the courses.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/cedia-installer-boot-camp-making-grade

In addition, after poking around the CEDIA website I was able to find a better course description and syllabus at this link.

http://www.cedia.net/Education/ViewCourse.aspx?CourseID=1105

Home Theater Boot Camp is an advanced, three-day session that provides a comprehensive overview of the home theater installation process from installation to calibration. Several hours of hands-on lab activities are included. Students will mount and install components including wire management, install and mount a flat panel television and projector, properly place and connect speakers and subwoofers, hang acoustic treatments, and calibrate audio and video.

The boot camp focuses on the knowledge and skills necessary to properly install, setup, and calibrate a custom home theater or media room system.

Participants should already have a basic knowledge of the home theater concept and the equipment needed to deliver the cinema experience.

There are no prerequisites recommended for this course.

Syllabus

Audio signals, interconnects, and components

Video signals, interconnects, and components (HDMI)

Mounting and configuring A/V components in racks and cabinets

Lab 1: Equipment installation & interconnection

Video display technologies (3D, 4K, anamorphic)

Display installation

Lab 2: Display installation and initial system testing

Video display calibration

Lab 3: Video calibration

Sound, isolation and room acoustics

Lab 4: Speaker placement and initial setup

Preliminary audio setup & evaluation

Acoustic measurements

Audio calibration

Lab 4: Audio calibration and acoustic room treatments

Lab 5: Final team evaluation and peer review

Edited by Fjd

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is that the CEDIA website is the biggest turd I've seen in awhile.  The pre-test assessment links along with other things often lead you in circles, and there's two different registration forms, both of which mostly look exactly the same but does have some differences.  One crashes upon submission.  The other requires an auto generated username, except it won't auto generate, and the field is disabled so you can't type one in yourself, so, it won't submit.  I get aggravated and have to quit every time I try to use it.