Old school Cornscala... well sorta

justinsweber

I started out wanting to build a PA rig to make use of spare parts… frankin-speaker J. It started with Dayton Pro 15" woofer, K401/Selenium D250, Eminence APT150 and ALK cornscalawal 600hz/4000hz to tie it all together. Like most on here, I was not content with the status quoi and started upgrading.

The finished product is My split bins, Eminence Kappa pro 15C, Fastlane audio's Tratrix horn, with a pair of traded K55s, Fastlane's Eliptrac tweeter lens and the Eminence ASD1001B.

I’ve had to choke back the tweeter a ton due to its efficiency but the current results are pretty impressive.

Additionally, I brought Dave some scrap Walnut and he went to town and built some radical lenses. These things are works of art!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gallery_36992_57_78639.jpg
gallery_36992_57_70215.jpg
gallery_36992_57_43685.jpg
gallery_36992_57_58017.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Its a wonderful sound... maybe not as large in scale as my eliptrac versions wholly satisfying.

I went a bit taller on the cab then I would have needed if I went K7/ CT125 or Dave's eliptrac tweeter with Eminence apt25, but I wanted to allow use of whatever tweeter I could find. The tweeter is the Eminence ASD1001B which is titanium and can cross low at 2500hz. I may try the B&C's DE120 but its 2x the cost. The Eminence ASD1001B is 1" 2/3 bolt pattern or as a screw on for $30 each... nice option.

Re it being more compact... it is.. its 2" shorter on the side and ~8" shorter in the back. It allows me pivot the top hat and point the horns toe in without moving the bass bin.

The Walnut eliptrac is the brainchild of Dave. He cut some mortarboards for me out of solid walnut and I guess they cut like butter and as such there was a proof of concept. Although my cabs are stained in a med. Walnut I didn’t keep them installed and went back to the back tweeter lens… Id have to try and match the solid walnut finish to the finish possible on the plywood… prob too hard to do.

Glade people like… too bad no one is close enough to listen. I have them in my primary listening room… they are super sweet sounding.