10, 12, 14, 16 guage speaker wire

AaronH

When I was a kid my grandfather used to say, laugh now and get it out of your system, you will need reading glasses too someday.  Well grandpa, I think that "someday" may have now come for me. :wacko:

Either that, or, do we have, yet another, wild wild west showdown in the making over "all things" wire and cables? :ohmy:  :ph34r2:

The answer to keeping conductivity high is simple: the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity-----courtesy of blue jeans cable---

Well, sorry, this is basic bogus.  -----courtesy of blue jeans cable----is not a very smart statement-----Simply being a large cable does not equal a quality cable......Quality of a cable is born from a combination of factors,

I guess I missed the portion regarding "quality" in the discussion about conductivity of wire.  I thought that Blue Jean cable was discussing the inverse relationship of resistance and conductivity……

Question - With other aspects being equal, such as length, will a thick wire have more resistance than a thin wire?

Answer – NO, with other aspects being equal, such as length, a thicker wire will have less resistance than a thin wire. 

Essentially, wire will have electrical resistance if it inhibits electrical current.  In addition, note that "conductance" is the inverse of “resistance.”

Resistance = V/I     (voltage/current)

For example, "How many volts does it take to push thru a given current?"

Conductance = I/V     (current/voltage)

For example, "How much current flows if you push with a certain electric pressure?"

It would seem that based on the physics and math, clearly an identical length of thicker wire must allow more electrons pass for a given pressure difference between the ends.

Think about it another way, using a “chocolate milkshake” and a “straw” by analogy where;

Wire = "straw"

Electrons = “chocolate milkshake”

Voltage = “pressure”

Current = flow rate or "gallons-per-minute" of chocolate milkshake flow

The common-sense perception (and physics would support the common-sense notion) is that a narrow straw has more resistance to drinking your chocolate milkshake, and a fat straw has less resistance.

So you are saying blue jeans cable, (which is actually Belden cable)

Blue Jeans cable assembles cables using several makes of wire mostly Belden and Canare, they do not manufacture wire  Belden, Canare as well as Mogami are wire manufacturers that make wire. So Blue Jeans Cable is not actually Belden cable, however sometimes they use Belden wire in their cables.

For the cables I make I prefer Mogami wire for speaker cables and interconnects, however I prefer Belden wire for making power cables.

Good information for those that may not be aware; however, I actually didn't read into AaronH's statement above where he believed that Blue Jeans cable was manufacturing Belden cable.  

My perception was that this response was made in a situation where he was somewhat shocked that the statement of "the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity" may have been interpreted as something else and was called out as "bogus."

Edited by Fjd
  • Like 1

My perception was that this response was made in a situation where he was somewhat shocked that the statement of "the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity" may have been interpreted as something else and was called out as "bogus."

My perception of the original "bogus" statement was that there was more to good speaker wire and sound quality than just the wire size.

The answer to keeping conductivity high is simple: the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity-----courtesy of blue jeans cable---

Well, sorry, this is basic bogus.  -----courtesy of blue jeans cable----is not a very smart statement-----Simply being a large cable does not equal a quality cable......Quality of a cable is born from a combination of factors, a few of which are purity of the wire, construction, shielding, and size (and that's not all). 

You say that the claim that the simplification 'the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity' is bogus, then go on to talk about quality of a cable and not its conductivity.

That claim is far from bogus.

You say that the claim that the simplification 'the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity' is bogus, then go on to talk about quality of a cable and not its conductivity.

Jimjimbo did not quote the whole statement where he declared it bogus however the whole statement said "from the point of sound quality" and I believe the whole statement is what he was referring to as "bogus". There is more to a good speaker wire and good sound quality than just being a large gauge conductive wire.

Yes it is pretty much common sense the larger the wire, the lower the resistance, and the higher the conductivity, a bigger river carries more current so on and so on, whatever metaphor someone wants to use. A larger straw may flow more milkshake but in the end what the straw is made of can effect the final taste of the milkshake or the performance of the straw.

Jimjimbo did not quote the whole statement where he declared it bogus however the whole statement said "from the point of sound quality" and I believe the whole statement is what he was referring to as "bogus". There is more to a good speaker wire and good sound quality than just being a large gauge conductive wire.

The exact quote that was omitted is: The biggest issue in speaker cables, from the point of view of sound quality, is simply conductivity

Nothing bogus about that.  Conductivity is the biggest issue by far, and it is controlled mostly by gauge.

. A larger straw may flow more milkshake but in the end what the straw is made of can effect the final taste of the milkshake or the performance of the straw.

I think this is what is called "reaching". I know of no drinking straw that does that.

Oh yes... sometimes they are purposefully flavored (chocolate, strawberry etc..) other times they are cheap nasty manufacturing residues left inside such as the "fun" straws they used to put with kids meals.

. A larger straw may flow more milkshake but in the end what the straw is made of can effect the final taste of the milkshake or the performance of the straw.

I think this is what is called "reaching". I know of no drinking straw that does that.

I do, there are a variety normal as well as fancy and expensive straws made from paper, plastic, acrylic, glass, stainless steel, titanium, like speaker wire there are differences though they may be very subtle. Would you want your straw made from dog droppings, if the size is good and it flows the same amount of milkshake then it should be just as good right? I wasn't the one who brought up straws, my point was simply there is more to good speaker wire than just size and current flow.

I guess this thread should teach me not to get involved....ever.....in speaker wire discussions....I didn't say anyone was "stupid", or that any one brand was "better" than another...only that the very simple statement that the larger the wire the better, was in it's most basic form, not true...and that there are other factors in play. that's all.  That's all I said.  OK, so maybe "Bogus" was a bad choice of words....so sue me.

I guess this thread should teach me not to get involved....ever.....in speaker wire discussions....I didn't say anyone was "stupid", or that any one brand was "better" than another...only that the very simple statement that the larger the wire the better, was in it's most basic form, not true...and that there are other factors in play. that's all.  That's all I said.  OK, so maybe "Bogus" was a bad choice of words....so sue me.

The noive.

The noive.

I love you man.....

• Like 1