Help setting new system up

EKBI

Something went wrong during upload  :angry:

Well..... 

I just bought my self e Reference 62 II system with a Klipsch SW112 sub and a Onkyo TX NR737 reciever. 

But how do i get the most out of my new system regarding placement of the speakers? The sub is something i have to experiment with.

The room is 470cm (13.7 ft) X 420cm (15,7 ft) 

Not the greatest home theater room  :huh:

post-59366-0-15020000-1416004833_thumb.j

post-59366-0-78260000-1416004857_thumb.j

post-59366-0-29060000-1416004872_thumb.j

post-59366-0-85940000-1416004887_thumb.j

post-59366-0-33940000-1416004900_thumb.j

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums.

First off, could the TV be put on the wall you are facing when you come up the steps? That is the long wall, which would allow you to space your left and right speakers out more. They are too close together now. It would also give you an excellent place to put your surrounds. Right on those shelves.

Welcome to the forums.

First off, could the TV be put on the wall you are facing when you come up the steps?

Thats not possible [emoji13]

We have 2 small windows om that wall facing the street

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

damn... your wife makes you sleep on the couch just because you bought some speakers?

That is just a blanket, i case that my wife suddenly appears when i have "my time alone" [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Moving the left speaker to the left of the door, and moving the tv further left would work. Since there is a doorway, you will need to go over it with the speaker wire.

As for the rear speakers... Is that brick? Are you OK with mounting to it, and seeing a speaker wire come up from the floor?  You can hide the wire with modern art, or a wall curtain or something. To me, it seems like putting the surrounds on the side walls above the windows and a couple feet in from the back would work OK. Putting them on the back wall a couple feet in from the corners would work too.

The sub is trial and error as you already indicated. I would start with beside the sofa in the corner under that ledge.  I would also try right beside the center speaker. The roof of that room is shaped in such a way that positioning will be challenging.

• Like 2

Can someone tell me the difference between a sw112 and r-sw112 sub? Beside the Price?

Biggest thing is the black woven fiberglass driver vs. the copper driver that matches the Reference drivers. Supposedly it has been totally re-eingineered but I can't directly compare the two right this second so I can't comment on that. All I know is that two R-sw115's shake the hell out of my house.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Moving the left speaker to the left of the door, and moving the tv further left would work. Since there is a doorway, you will need to go over it with the speaker wire.

As for the rear speakers... Is that brick? Are you OK with mounting to it, and seeing a speaker wire come up from the floor?  You can hide the wire with modern art, or a wall curtain or something. To me, it seems like putting the surrounds on the side walls above the windows and a couple feet in from the back would work OK. Putting them on the back wall a couple feet in from the corners would work too.

The sub is trial and error as you already indicated. I would start with beside the sofa in the corner under that ledge.  I would also try right beside the center speaker. The roof of that room is shaped in such a way that positioning will be challenging.

Besides this, are you able to raise the center channel up a little higher to match the tweeters on the mains or your ear level? I would also toe the speakers in once they are moved to the corners of the room to see how they will sound. If you use concrete anchors you should have no issues hanging the surrounds. 

• Like 2

At first i must apologize for my english writting and gramma  :lol:  It has been a few years since i wrote english. But i read and speak it daily at work.

I wont be able to raise the center speaker unfortunately.

I'd read a few reviews on the R-sw112 and that is the one i'm going for. 

My next question would be: wich cable should i use? My thoughts are 2.5 mm2 for the whole system. Or is 1.5 mm2 sufficient? 

Here is a link, but in danish: 

http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=3664&ML=2572

Something went wrong during upload  :angry:

Well..... 

I just bought my self e Reference 62 II system with a Klipsch SW112 sub and a Onkyo TX NR737 receiver. 

But how do i get the most out of my new system regarding placement of the speakers? The sub is something i have to experiment with.

Not the greatest home theater room  :huh:

I'd also recommend putting a heavy drapery (something thick and absorptive - like a thick comforter or blanket that's fuzzy) over that back wall just behind your couch.  The idea is to absorb midrange and high frequencies that are within about a metre of your head.  It would also be nice to have a corner bass trap, but that can wait if you are recovering financially from the purchase.  Your stereo/multichannel imaging and timbre will improve--perhaps dramatically.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

At first i must apologize for my english writting and gramma  :lol:  It has been a few years since i wrote english. But i read and speak it daily at work.

I wont be able to raise the center speaker unfortunately.

I'd read a few reviews on the R-sw112 and that is the one i'm going for. 

My next question would be: wich cable should i use? My thoughts are 2.5 mm2 for the whole system. Or is 1.5 mm2 sufficient? 

Here is a link, but in danish: 

http://www.av-connection.dk/?PGr=3664&ML=2572

You could still raise the center channel a few different ways, 1st being just get a small "pedestal" to sit it on top, or get 2 brackets with a shelf,tap the concrete anchors and sit it on the shelf on the wall. One last resort would be to put brackets on the back of the speaker and "hang" it like a photo would be hung.Just make sure you put 4 "rubber feet" on the back to stabilize it. I wound up doing that with one of my center channels in my family room as it's on a stone fireplace that doesn't have any shelves or mantles. I only say this because it may help with the sound quality,unless you have the adjustment foot on the speaker and raise it so it angles to your ear height. It will also help with the delay from TV Screen to voice sound and match better.Nothing worse than having sound come out like an old Karate movie with lips moving and no sound,then sound and no lips moving.

post-59264-0-05600000-1416270963_thumb.j

Something went wrong during upload :angry:

Well.....

I just bought my self e Reference 62 II system with a Klipsch SW112 sub and a Onkyo TX NR737 receiver.

Not the greatest home theater room :huh:

I'd also recommend putting a heavy drapery (something thick and absorptive - like a thick comforter or blanket that's fuzzy) over that back wall just behind your couch. The idea is to absorb midrange and high frequencies that are within about a metre of your head. It would also be nice to have a corner bass trap, but that can wait if you are recovering financially from the purchase. Your stereo/multichannel imaging and timbre will improve--perhaps dramatically.

Allready asked her, but that was a no go [emoji1]

Regarding kables for the sub. I have seen a lot of videos on youtube and They say that if i want to use the amplifier in the sub i have to use both LINE inputs?

Also, seeing how People's setup on the crossover freq is giving me a bit of Grey hair on the top. But i have seen on Klipsch's website that the sub must be set to 50 herz? There is also recommended setting for your receiver on how to set the rest of the speakers.

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

• Like 1

The room correction on my Onyko receiver (AVR, or Audio Visual Receiver) is Audyssey, and while using a sub it sets my crossover (XO) to each speaker's lowest level, which is often 40 or 60 Hz.  It is very common to manually re-set the XO to 80 for both speakers and subs.  That means my speakers will not go below 80 Hz, and my sub will not go above 80 Hz.  That gives me the clearest sound, without muddy sounding bass. 

I have the Onkyo TX-NR717, the 2012 model of your Onk 727.  If you want more bass, your Onk will allow you to run the XO low on your speakers and run your sub at the same time.  This is called "double-bass."  Some like it, some don't.  One setting is not better than the other, they are just different.  I let Audyssey do the initial setup, then I reset my system so the sub XO is at 80 and my mains are at 80.

Regarding your sub kables,  my Onk has a single RCA kable OUT, and it goes to the single RED kable IN to the sub.  I have a Klipsch RW-12d sub. That is how you should wire your sub with the Onk 727.

The other way to wire a sub is to have the L/R speaker wire from your Onk go OUT to the L/R IN of the sub, then the sub separates the signal, and more speaker wire sends the signal OUT to the L/R of the speakers.  This is how you would do a 2.1 setup if your amplifier did not have a dedicated subwoofer pre-out (RCA kable)

If you have more questions, please ask.  Your English is great!

Edited by wvu80

Something went wrong during upload :angry:

Well.....

Not the greatest home theater room :huh:

I'd also recommend putting a heavy drapery (something thick and absorptive - like a thick comforter or blanket that's fuzzy) over that back wall just behind your couch. The idea is to absorb midrange and high frequencies that are within about a metre of your head. It would also be nice to have a corner bass trap, but that can wait if you are recovering financially from the purchase. Your stereo/multichannel imaging and timbre will improve--perhaps dramatically.

Allready asked her, but that was a no go [emoji1]

Regarding kables for the sub. I have seen a lot of videos on youtube and They say that if i want to use the amplifier in the sub i have to use both LINE inputs?

Also, seeing how People's setup on the crossover freq is giving me a bit of Grey hair on the top. But i have seen on Klipsch's website that the sub must be set to 50 herz? There is also recommended setting for your receiver on how to set the rest of the speakers.

Martin Pedersen

Denmark

Ahhhhhh... The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)...... We all know about these things.....  :D

That 50Hz adjustment idea on the sub is not correct. Here are some facts on your system (taken from Klipsch specifications):

Your Sub is good down to 24Hz

Your center and rear speakers are good down to about 58Hz

Your mains (left/right speakers) are good down to 35Hz.

Audyssey and your Onkyo will set your crossovers with a -3db @ crossover point 12db per octave slope high pass filter, and a -3db @ crossover point 24db per octave slope low pass filter. What this means is that frequencies above and below the set point for each speaker do indeed get through. It is not a clean cutoff of sound at a certain frequency, only a diminishing signal the further from the crossover point you get. The -3db at the crossover point means you are forcing the speaker/sub to be 3db less loud at that point and diminish from their at a slope (24db for sub and 12db for speaker, per octave).

1. Where I would start in your Onkyo is:

Left and Right speakers - Full Band

Center and surrounds - 55Hz

LFE setting on sub - 120Hz

2. On your subwoofer, disable the frequency by turning the LOWPASS knob as high as it will go (150Hz).

3. On your Onkyo TX-NR737 run Audyssey. Use multiple points for best results.

Watch a movie and listen to some music. If this does not give you a full sounding bass, you can experiment by offloading more of it to your sub by changing the center and surrounds frequency to an incrementally higher number like 60, 65, 70, 75, or even 80Hz (I think is way too high by the way), etc, and re-running Audyssey.  With a single sub, and many speakers, and due to room modes, having the bass at the speaker points gives definite advantages over bass from a single point (sub). Subs do produce bass with less effort, however.

PS: Your receiver has a Dolby Atmos firmware update. If you haven't done so, you should update to it when you can.

Edited by mustang guy