Humidity?

Zappa Freak

do i need to worry about firing up my gear if its 40-50 degrees in there?
No.  But if it is -40 or below, I'd worry a bit - for the integrated circuits only.

50 degrees, no problem.  At 40, I think you're starting to teeter on the edge of issues, particularly if you are running any tubes.

All solid state. I read a comment somewhere about a guy needing to bring his freshly delivered DAC inside and up to room temperature before firing it up the first time and it had me spooked.

50 degrees, no problem.  At 40, I think you're starting to teeter on the edge of issues, particularly if you are running any tubes.

All solid state. I read a comment somewhere about a guy needing to bring his freshly delivered DAC inside and up to room temperature before firing it up the first time and it had me spooked.

That's right - some of today's consumer-grade integrated circuits (digital circuits, that is) will begin to bomb at about freezing point of water (32F/0C) but what happens is the chips just stop because of the valence electrons stop jumping the gap and the transistor gates become insulators.  We saw this beginning to become really significant for military-grade environments about 20 years ago when the chip industry stopped paying attention to MIL-STD needs and went hard over to supporting personal computers and later hand-held devices.  Before that time, most chips were available at -40 (C or F) and some at -60.  We had to install heaters inside electronics assemblies for some applications where we couldn't do with older parts made from dies that supported very low startup temps.

Edited by Chris A

When electronics are delivered in this cold weather it is a good idea to let them warm up to room temperature still in the box before opening so you don't get any condensation.  I run some tube equipment in a 50F + room sometimes and haven't heard any issues.  I don't ever let anything get down to freezing.  

Humidity and temperature matters for the sound... if low I will increase the temp and humidity to at least 35% for better sound in my experience.  It is better for the cabinets to not be allowed to dry out so much anyway.

• Like 1