Onkyo 727

effxz

If its $350 or so, legit dealer, and you need a radio I would ****** it right up. I have a 270 = 708 for several years, played 24 hrs sometimes, no problem, yet. But .....the 727 may catch fire up in your room...who knows? Wow  you cant say $NATCH now?

Edited by Fish

I have the Onk NX-TR 717, a 2012 model.  The 727 replaced my 717.

I love my 717, and have had zero problems with it.  Mine does not run hot, it runs warm, but I do have mine raised to increase cooling.

There were well know HDMI problems with my gen Onk and older, I don't know if the HDMI board was upgraded in the 727.  The problem was a Toshiba part that was out of spec and I think it was supposed to be good for 115 degrees, but the part only spec'd out to 85 or 90.  It would fail and take the sound with it, all channels.

People who have had theirs fail say they go out no later than about 2 years, some faster.  If the 727 has that issue resolved, the AVR itself is fantastic, and will drive just about any typical speakers up to 7.2.  I run mine in 5.1, and I bought it with the idea of adding amps using the pre-outs in the Onk, but so far I can drive my Klipsch CF-4 to insanely loud levels, and I still have head room.

I know I'm in the minority on the Onks, but that has been my experience so far.  I'm coming up on my 2 years of ownership, so we'll see.  B)

I'd get an external fan to keep it cool.

I have owned my Onkyo TX-SR705 since June 2007 and have no issues whatsoever to report.

Now the Onkyo XX05 models were not known for these HDMI issues but they do run hot. 

I have kept mine cool with one of these for close to that 7.5 years.

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

buyextras_2267_26672007.jpg

Bill

Edited by willland

I know I'm in the minority on the Onks, but that has been my experience so far.  I'm coming up on my 2 years of ownership, so we'll see. 

I have setup Denons, Yamahas, etc. but have only owned Onkyos in order to get Audyssey. Currently the 818 with XT/32 is in my system. Best ever with no issues. The new 828 doesn't have Audyssey, so it's worth getting a refurb or used 818 if you can find one. Best bang for the buck. 

I have an Onkyo TX-NR525 that I have had for a couple of months now for my bedroom system.  I have not had it long enough to comment on the reliability issues but I will say that it is one of the few modern receivers that works with my older HDMI equipment.  Additionally it has 2 component inputs (no upscaling to HDMI, just switching) which I needed as well.  I have tried several other receivers but they did not like to work with my combination of HDMI wiring and equipment so I was super happy that this receiver did not have any issues.  It is currently on sale at Fry's for $169!

Laters,

Jeff