Klipsch RF 82 ii with denon x2000 dissapointed

sreeram5mvn

Hi folks,

I have purchased a pair of klipsch rf82 speaker 3 weeks back and got the denon x2000 avr for them after much research and thought.

now my problem is that these speakers sound bright whatever i do with the settings also tried audessey set up multiple times. I have still time to return the denon avr.

To add i have listened to these speakers several times at my frnds house paired with yamaha rx-v475 and loved them as they sounded full and warm and it was from then i wanted these speakers so i hope there is no problem with the speakers and i have no intension of returning them.

But i am here to take suggestions for an avr other than denon that will sound warmer.

To add i even hear a small hiss after each word in the dialogue.

Please help me out people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sreeram5mvn,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of questions first before I offer any advice.

What size is your room?

Hard floors or carpet?

Curtains on windows?

Ceiling, high, low, or vaulted(sloped)?

Based on your answers, you may have room issues that Audyssey is having a tough time with.

Bill

The room as Willard said, if it is hard and reflective, it would not be good for a speaker such as the RF82.  Additionally that particular Denon may not be up to the task.  Most likely the RF82II, due to the dual woofers, will require a substantial amount of current in the bass which many receivers are not capable of giving.

Suggestions on other AVRs?  I think that particular speaker, most dual woofer klipsch speakers in general, require good current delivery to drive the bass and sound the best.  AVRs certified for 4 ohm would likely be best, such as some of the Pioneer series.  If not, go separates.

I currently use RF82II as part of my home theater. My experience has been that they get warmer as you give them more current like pzannucci mentions above.

1. If fist started out with using a Pioneer Elite VSX-52 which is listed at 110 WPC. The speakers were on the bright side even though I have them on carpet.
  2. I then bi-amped them with the Pioneer and that made a significant difference. Much warmer and more low mids and upper lows.
  3. My next step was to go with separates using the pre-outs from the Pioneer to a Emotiva XPA-5 at a true 200 WPC. This again made a significant difference and has left me satisfied.

Room size is 14x14x12

Carpet floored

Windows but no curtains just plastic shades

Celing is flat

I would like to go for separates but budget wouldnt allow me right now , may be in future.

My budget for avr is $500 right now and moreover i came to know that x2000 does bot have a main zone pre out even if i want to add an ext amp to it. So right now just looking at returning it and buy something else that would sound warmer or has power to drive these speakers

Room size is 14x14x12

Carpet floored

Windows but no curtains just plastic shades

Celing is flat

I would like to go for separates but budget wouldnt allow me right now , may be in future.

My budget for avr is $500 right now and moreover i came to know that x2000 does bot have a main zone pre out even if i want to add an ext amp to it. So right now just looking at returning it and buy something else that would sound warmer or has power to drive these speakers

Sreeram5mvn,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple of questions first before I offer any advice.

What size is your room?

Hard floors or carpet?

Curtains on windows?

Ceiling, high, low, or vaulted(sloped)?

Based on your answers, you may have room issues that Audyssey is having a tough time with.

Bill

So right now just looking at returning it and buy something else that would sound warmer or has power to drive these speakers

If you liked your friends Yamaha, why not try one at your place? For $500.00, you could get a nice unit online.Most of the lower YAMAHA models are going to give you 90 watts per channel and may not have the option of hooking up an amp externally, but you could get something from the AVENTAGE line that will have more power,and can add in an external amp. I personally like the Yamahas as they give a wider fuller sound field to me than Denon, with Denon giving more sound quality towards voice in my opinion. You could also upgrade to the 3000 as it will give you a little more power and amenities. Also, speaker placement may help. Try moving them around or toeing them in so the tweeters either meet at your ears or just outside of them.Think Triangle with the speakers being points and your sitting position as another point.Curtains may also help a little.

I've owned Yamahas mostly, starting with the RX-V2095 and then with the newer models being the RX-V 573,575,675, and now the RX-A2020.If you are looking for a model to hook up and external amp, look at the RX-V 7 SERIES as they are the top of the RX line,then would be the RX-A 8 series and up.Their set up system isn't as involved as Audyssey,but works fine to give a starting point. I've only had issues on sound when the speakers were rated much more than the output power where the receiver has to work to hard to power the speakers at high levels. Once I upped the power output, things got substantially better and when I played with placement,even better.Quick reference point should be your seating area should be about the same distance as the width of the speakers for a starting point if possible.

If going the route of the Denon again, try the X-3000, or if you can stretch the X-4000. They are both discontinued models,but have more capabilities then the X-2000. 

Not the newest in the Pioneer line though a good receiver, 4ohm capable:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/pioneer-sc-1222-a-v-receiver-7-2-channel-black-multizone-dolby-truehd/242277809.html?listingId=370022314&sclid=pla_google_Bigbenoutlet&adid=29963&gclid=CPTqks2zucICFaHm7AodIlEAoA

Just a little over your budget.but as others here have found, sounds good and capable of using with external amps in the future.

I switched from a Denon AVR to Marantz separates a couple of years ago with good results. The Denon was bright to the point of being irritating. Not so for the Marantz. I see where budget does not allow for separates right now, but perhaps a Marantz AVR would be a good stop-gap measure. Their house sound has always been on the warmer side.

• Like 1

I switched from a Denon AVR to Marantz separates a couple of years ago with good results. The Denon was bright to the point of being irritating. Not so for the Marantz. I see where budget does not allow for separates right now, but perhaps a Marantz AVR would be a good stop-gap measure. Their house sound has always been on the warmer side.

Which Denon AVR? For the record, it is my understanding that Denon and Marantz use the same amps and topography given they are owned by the same company and are made in the same plants.

Which Denon AVR? For the record, it is my understanding that Denon and Marantz use the same amps and topography given they are owned by the same company and are made in the same plants.

I am using Denon x2000. Helpful folks in AvsForum suggested that mic should not be placed on a flat surface during the Audessey set up which i was doing the whole time. I will try setting up by placing the mic on tripod and see if that solves the issue.

And as you have tried both Denon and Marantz. Do the Marantz sound warmer than Denon??

And as you have tried both Denon and Marantz. Do the Marantz sound warmer than Denon??

I am not speaking for the OP but to be fair he was talking about using an upper-end pre-amp/processor with an external amp  compared to an unspecified AVR--The price/performance gap could be considerable...As mentioned, Marantz and Denon are made by the same company and the innards/amps of both are quite similar in comparable models.

Edited by tkdamerica

Do the Marantz sound warmer than Denon??

Typically yes, as stated above, they are owned by the same company and the lower ended models Denon will not sound as good or warm as Marantz as the better quality stuff goes into the Marantz name 1st. Marantz has the warmer sound overall in my opinion and once you get to the upper ended models they do sound more alike as they use almost all of the same innards as per my phone conversations with Denon and Marantz. I have all 3 receiver's I named and as per warmness it's Marantz,Denon, and Yamaha. As for a fuller sound field with music,it's Yamaha,Denon,Marantz in my opinion. I've said Marantz focuses more on voice when listening to music and Yamaha focusing more on instruments with Denon in the middle.At least that's what I get from it.

I have all 3 receiver's I named and as per warmness it's Marantz,Denon, and Yamaha. As for a fuller sound field with music,it's Yamaha,Denon,Marantz in my opinion. I've said Marantz focuses more on voice when listening to music and Yamaha focusing more on instruments with Denon in the middle.At least that's what I get from it.

I realize this is a subjective opinion but that is a pretty intricate detail field you have them divided especially when you consider all of the parameters that can be manipulated in the various AVRs, not to mention speakers being used (and different room acoustics).