The $169.00 HT sub

CECAA850

on ported enclosures there is always concern with cabinet volume and how changes even as benign as horn size can have an effect. with all of that bracing, is that factor not a concern in ported designs?

2 things. 

This is not a ported box.

When you design a ported box, you have to add port volume, driver displacement and brace displacement together and take that sum from your total box volume to get your effective box volume.  That's the figure you use in winisd.  I normally convert to cubic inches.

Just for clarification, this is a dual seal direct radiator like the Epik Legend? You put a lot more bracing than the original Legend and could you have used less?

Yes, dual sealed.

The only pic I saw of the inside of a Legend looked braced fairly well.  Of course they use a CNC machine and can do a lot more things in there than I can.  I suppose I could have used less, I had no plans to go by, it all came out of my head.

on ported enclosures there is always concern with cabinet volume and how changes even as benign as horn size can have an effect. with all of that bracing, is that factor not a concern in ported designs?

2 things. 

This is not a ported box.

When you design a ported box, you have to add port volume, driver displacement and brace displacement together and take that sum from your total box volume to get your effective box volume.  That's the figure you use in winisd.  I normally convert to cubic inches.

doh, i really was thinking sealed when i typed ported. thanks for clarifying.

My son is gone so I could play with the sub a little bit.  I used my I-pod as a source with no mains.  The sub has really good attack and decay.  No overhang at all, very punchy as well.  There are no air leaks at the drivers or amp.  My son should really like it.  I can't wait to see what it will do with HT but that will have to wait till it gets to his house.

I had the sub in the worst possible location while I was testing it.  It was in the middle of the garage about 3 feet off the floor on saw horses.  My garage is detached from the house  It filled the garage nicely and was heard by my wife and daughter in the house.  It should do well in his living room which is probably less than half the size of my garage.  There was also virtually no vibration from the box at all.  Cool project, thanks Derrick!

Thanks for doing this Carl. I am about to give up on the plate repair project. I have pulled just about all the components I can. The diodes all test good. The caps are all good. The problem is either the very very tiny resistors and other tiny little parts, or it's the transformer. 

The stock Epik Legend had a 4-5db bump around 20-24Hz. As I remember, the Bash 300 I bought a while back had instructions for bumping. Does the Bash 500?