Geminid metorshowers this weekend

dtel

• Moderators

For anyone who likes to watch this kind of thing, or just to get the wife or girlfriend (or both :o ) laying on a blanked in the back yard, this weekend is the time. :P

Tomorrow night just after dark, best viewing after midnight and later.

http://earthsky.org/space/everything-you-need-to-know-geminid-meteor-shower

• Like 1

• Moderators

I will be out watching tonight, it should be good, 45 and mostly clear is the forecast here.

Years ago we would pull a trailer up to the house and use blankets to lay out and watch. When I built the bar outside I put a pole in the ground with two hooks, it is the right distance from the bar that two hammocks can be hung. It is MUCH more comfortable laying in a hammock watching the sky, plus there is music out there. :emotion-21:

True, living in the country is the only way to go, for way more than watching the sky. imo 

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

Went out around 9 for a little while and seen a few, went back out later around midnight for about 1.5 hours and seen many. The second time I took a blanket with me in the hammock which made it much easier to stay comfortable. There were some different colors like blue, orange and mostly white, many came from roughly one area as they said but I was surprised at how many were in other parts of the sky also. It was about the most I have ever seen in one night, way more than the Leonid meteor showers. imo

I must say by far the most comfortable way I have ever tried was like last night, a hammock and a blanket is perfect for looking almost straight up, much better than other ways we tried it in the past.

Edit; I did see a few planes really high just as some streaks were passing, I wonder how well they can be seen from 20,000'+, I would think pretty well ? 

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1