WTB Mac Mini

sadie777

Not too sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am looking to buy a Mac mini.

I'm looking for a mid 2010 or newer model.

I had found one on craigslist, but seller is backing out of the deal :(

New to posting here, but have been reading the forums for a while now and have bought from members A1UC and crouse.

I can also provide my ebay id, if that is wanted. Have 100% feedback as a buyer.

Thanks

• Like 2

Not too sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I am looking to buy a Mac mini.

I'm looking for a mid 2010 or newer model.

I had found one on craigslist, but seller is backing out of the deal :(

New to posting here, but have been reading the forums for a while now and have bought from members A1UC and crouse.

I can also provide my ebay id, if that is wanted. Have 100% feedback as a buyer.

Thanks

Are you sure you want a Mac Mini?  Many people are buying the Asus-CHROMEBOX-M004U.  I know a few people that got rid of their minis for the Chromeboxes. What are you planing to do with it? 

prerich,

I'm sure the mac mini is what I want, don't want anything windows. I have an imac and hubby has a macbook pro, we love them. Left windows about 6 yrs ago and have no desire to go back to it.

I want it to put upstairs with my la scalas for music. I have my imac in my office connected to my harman kardon 1565 with the wf35s, so I just need something small for upstairs. Will just hook the mac mini to my tv and to my harman kardon 1710 with optical cable, that way I can watch the itunes visualizer on the tv while I listen to my music.

Right now I have my ipod hooked up and the quality is just not good enough. Sounds much better with the imac and macbook pro.

• Like 1

Not selling mine but wanted to say that you're making a good decision. I really like mine. I got a newer one with a 1TB hard drive and I7 processor. It's pretty sweet for sure.

Thanks. I'll probably only use itunes on it, so don't need an upgraded one. Hopefully I can find a mid 2010 model, should be all I need.

• Like 1

Not selling mine but wanted to say that you're making a good decision. I really like mine. I got a newer one with a 1TB hard drive and I7 processor. It's pretty sweet for sure.

I second that. Mine is a 2011 I5.  I upgraded the RAM to 8gb and added a SSD drive.  Best PC I've ever owned. Combine it with a Apple TV for a very user friendly streaming setup.

I do not like it when people have very specific requests and are offered up a myriad of alternatives, however,

With all those macs in the house already serving up music an appleTV might be a viable option as well. Much smaller than the mini, both hdmi and optical out (16/44.1 audio i believe) and you can browse stream music directly from the other computers and your ios devices without much effort at all. and only $100. just throwing that out there since it sounds like this is an ancillary system with modest playback requirements.

I do not like it when people have very specific requests and are offered up a myriad of alternatives, however,

With all those macs in the house already serving up music an appleTV might be a viable option as well. Much smaller than the mini, both hdmi and optical out (16/44.1 audio i believe) and you can browse stream music directly from the other computers and your ios devices without much effort at all. and only $100. just throwing that out there since it sounds like this is an ancillary system with modest playback requirements.

The mac mini can do 24/96. I have music from HDTracks that I would like to listen to, so I think that the mac mini would be better for me. Plus I would also like to be able to watch the visualizer on my tv. Can the apple tv do that? I don't know much about them.

• Like 1

This will be for my main music system, with my Lascalas. Right now all I have is a cd player and my ipod for music with them. The macs are just so much better than the ipod. Ipod sounds fine with my RF83s and WF35s, but not on my Lascalas. I mean it doesn't sound BAD, I just want some better quality coming to my speakers. Can really tell the difference with the Lascalas.

• Like 1

I'm sure the mac mini is what I want, don't want anything windows. I have an imac and hubby has a macbook pro, we love them. Left windows about 6 yrs ago and have no desire to go back to it.

Windows is all I've ever had and it's been good to me. If I were to switch to a mac mini for my music streaming, what would be better about it....or is it just a preference?

It's a little more plug 'n play wrt DAC's - OS X just plays nicer with high-res music over USB. I use MacBook Pro's, iPhones, and iPads for my daily computing so it's just easier to have a cohesive ecosystem in the house.

Then again, a mac mini was total overkill for audio only/no local storage playback in my system and so I turned to a little raspberry pi (linux) for streaming directly from my NAS. proof that no one device is the be-all solution for everyone.

• Like 1

I like my mini a lot.  It does everything very well in a small package. Internet, Photos and very decent Audio. its nice having it all available with a Blu tooth Mouse and Keyboard sitting 15 feet back on my couch. It has steered me to more lossless rips and less walking to the CD player

prerich,

I want it to put upstairs with my la scalas for music. I have my imac in my office connected to my harman kardon 1565 with the wf35s, so I just need something small for upstairs. Will just hook the mac mini to my tv and to my harman kardon 1710 with optical cable, that way I can watch the itunes visualizer on the tv while I listen to my music.

Right now I have my ipod hooked up and the quality is just not good enough. Sounds much better with the imac and macbook pro.

10-4...Just fyi...The chromebox runs Chrome OS not Windows ;).  However the Mac mini makes more sense for you because you're firmly entrenched into iTunes.  There's nothing Microsoft about a chromebox though ;).  Tell us how it works out when you get your mini - If i see anyone selling one, I'll ref you to them. 

Windows is all I've ever had and it's been good to me. If I were to switch to a mac mini for my music streaming, what would be better about it....or is it just a preference?

I think its just preference.  I actually run a Windows machine (JRiver and I do all of my room correction using FIR and IIR filters - along with PEQ's  - this is my main machine).  My content is held on a 12TB server running NAS4free which is Linux based. I have no problem listening to my music...wherever I go, I can access it anywhere!  My Windows machine actually serves as the preamp for my system. I've used iTunes and it doesn't handle all of the lossless file types that I use.  If I did own a Mac (and I do own an iPad - but it's just a quick internet machine for me) - I'd have to use Pure Music or JRiver for MAC, I wouldn't use just iTunes.  Pure Music runs in conjunction with iTunes and includes a stripped down Dirac EQ, JRiver has a slew of audio options and makes iTunes insignificant..IMHO, and that's all it is ... my opinion. It's all about preference.   

• Like 1

prerich

I didn't know that about the chromebox, saw asus and assumed windows. Apple is about all I know about.

awsjr

Thanks for the link to the mac mini. I'm looking for a mid 2010 and up, that one is older than I would like, but thanks anyway.

I appreciate the help.

• Like 1