Any Interest in a Sunfire 200x5?

jjptkd

Just curious if there would be any interest in an original 19" Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5 power amplifier. I just that this re-capped and its in near mint condition. I have it listed on eBay for $1000 shipped. The service that was performed is $300 and if you're out of state count on any easy $100 shipping round trip or more. I could drop the price a bit for a private sale outside of eBay, thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-19-Sunfire-Cinema-Grand-200x5-Amplifier-by-Carver-Near-Mint-Serviced-/321619316977?ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

post-58550-0-71240000-1418925476_thumb.j

post-58550-0-01760000-1418925491_thumb.j

post-58550-0-58640000-1418925506_thumb.j

This amp is a "Carver" designed product. If you have speakers that are bi-amp ready 4 of these channels equal more output than a single 300x2. I used one of these to drive my Chorus II's bi-amped for quite some time and it had no problems and never even got warm to the touch. I'm still using one of these in my theater room bi-amping a pair of Carver AL-III's with power gobbling ribbons and it does great there too.

A couple nice things about the amp:

Auto on / off feature, goes into "standby" after 15 minutes of no signal

Dual RCA input / outputs for each channel making bi-amping or daisy chaining amplifiers a snap. I've even used these second outputs to send signal to powered subs.

• Like 1

I have had a lot of people ask me about this sub. Truth is its ugly. Multiple scratches and chips, a few small "dings" in the passive and its missing the grill cover. My plan was to sell it when I got the pair of Ultra II subs but I just can't see parting with it for what its worth.

• Like 1

I have the big brother the 450w x5, can I ask about the service?  Recapped?  I am just curious if I should think about doing that to mine.  It sees heavy, heavy use.  Probably 10 hours a day average for 14 years or so... been rock solid.  It really is a great HT amp, beats the hell out of my rotel.  I hope it lasts another 14 years.

Yes, I love Sunfire and Klipsch, great combo. It used to be Carver and Klipsch for me for years until I heard my first Sunfire. :D  

As a general rule any of the original 19" Sunfire models should be serviced / updated if they have not been already at some point in their life. The new capacitors Bill installs are rated much better and last much longer than the originals. He's told me several times that distortion is usually cut in half after a service is performed. A new meter bulb and auto on circuit are always part of the service and a series of resistors are replaced on that model. I would recommend giving Bill a call, he can answer any questions you might have about the service. 

Edited by jjptkd

yes, the 15 please.  A lil' spit shine and good :)

Kind of funny, I seen your location "SL,UT" and it immediately reminded me of the "Ride the S.L.U.T." campaign we had going on here in Seattle a while back. 

I'd like to get $500 cash in hand for the RSW-15. I'm into it more than that and I really don't think I could ever replace it for that, even with a DIY build. I replaced the whole back panel and internal wiring (NOS from the guy in Canada) when I bought it as it arrived with a shorted RCA input. Other than the cosmetic issues it works perfect and sounds great. If I didn't end with a set of Ultra II's I wouldn't even consider selling it.

post-58550-0-45600000-1418957106_thumb.j

• Like 1