FS: Dayton Ultimax 12" Subwoofer Kit $300

johnnydrama

Wanting to do another DIY project and would like to sell this to help fund the new project. Hits hard and very clean. I would also be willing to part out the driver and amp if need be. Kit includes:

Dayton Ultimax Driver ($125)

Yung 500 watt Plate amp w 6 dB Boost ($150)

2 Cubic ft. enclosure

1 lb. Polystuff

4 encom rubber ft.

I believe it would cost over $550 to purchase this all new from PE currently

post-51058-0-92180000-1419303398_thumb.j

post-51058-0-78700000-1419303414_thumb.j

Edited by johnnydrama

I was considering building roughly the same thing and was wondering what you thought of this set up? I would use the amp without boost as I mainly listen to music. What were you planning on building next? Thanks, and good luck.

I love this sub/setup. WAF is the biggest issue as it sits in our living room. I'm actually planning on doing a custom passive radiator build using the Dayton Ultimax 10" driver so it will have a much smaller footprint. 

You might want to think about using veneer for your new project. A friend builds subs and they are beautifully veneered. Very high WAF compared to the usual basic black finishes.

I used black paint on my Ultimax boxes and it looks pretty bad. :) For sure try veneer if possible. It wouldn't be so bad with a standard driver away from everything, except the brownish dark gray ultimax cones kind of clashes, then you park them next to some RF-7ii's with gorgeous veneer and it stands out.

I didn't like my UltiMax's for music at first but I guess they got broken in since then, it was like they didn't want to produce anything except serious flexing. Much more detailed now. Sub-bass hasn't changed much but I feel the upper end is much more detailed. Bass guitar sounds great and kick drums are very tight. It wasn't like that at first.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

You might want to think about using veneer for your new project. A friend builds subs and they are beautifully veneered. Very high WAF compared to the usual basic black finishes.

I used black paint on my Ultimax boxes and it looks pretty bad. :) For sure try veneer if possible. It wouldn't be so bad with a standard driver away from everything, except the brownish dark gray ultimax cones kind of clashes, then you park them next to some RF-7ii's with gorgeous veneer and it stands out.

I didn't like my UltiMax's for music at first but I guess they got broken in since then, it was like they didn't want to produce anything except serious flexing. Much more detailed now. Sub-bass hasn't changed much but I feel the upper end is much more detailed. Bass guitar sounds great and kick drums are very tight. It wasn't like that at first.

The look of the enclosure or the black isn't the issue. The pictures make the finish look much worse than it actually is. The WAF is lacking more due to the size of the enclosure. And I don't really mind as it just gives me another project to work on and something new to try. I'm just using her as an excuse

MLO,

Very interesting, very good updated info. Thanks.

• Like 1

The look of the enclosure or the black isn't the issue. The pictures make the finish look much worse than it actually is. The WAF is lacking more due to the size of the enclosure. And I don't really mind as it just gives me another project to work on and something new to try. I'm just using her as an excuse

you should look into the new stereo integrity 11" driver. Depth of the 18's they sell. 70 lb monster. They are in sale right now. If I were going for small like you they would be my first choice.

Yeah but, while the Stereo Integrity driver is a beast it also commands a premium. Right now it is $329.00 on sale and it's also a preorder at that as they are waiting on parts from suppliers. What about running two of those drivers in a dual sub setup with a 3000 watt amp. That sub would be 150+ lbs. 

Edited by JL Sargent

• 3 weeks later...