New SI 11" Driver

fuzzydog

That is one powerful little driver.  This would be great for a small room or someone needing WAF.  One thing is for certain, a small driver like the SI will sound the same as their larger drivers at matching db/frequency.  The main difference is power handling, FR and extension.

That is one powerful little driver. This would be great for a small room or someone needing WAF. One thing is for certain, a small driver like the SI will sound the same as their larger drivers at matching db/frequency. The main difference is power handling, FR and extension.

im not one to call you out Derrick. But I will say that I already spoke with Stereo integrity to ask about this 11" driver vs my 18" drivers. They said it is capable of the same extensions which is impressive for a 11 to reach as low as the 18 he lever the laws still apply here. They said it will not have the output of the 18. So as with all subs. Extension, size, output. Only get two. This case you will. Get small and super low. But not a ton of output.

I was very excited to buy these as I wanted to be the first Klipsch member to build a pair to put in my living room but it will either get another Svs PC or I will sell it and buy a pair of the 18's. You just can't beat 18 drivers for performance unless you physically can not fit them.

im not one to call you out Derrick.

I agree with you.   The point I was making is that at 20, 30, 40 Hz, it will sound the same as the larger driver.  It just won't have the output as you raise the spl beyond the small subs operating range.  SI has some great drivers.  I would love to hear and feel that 24 in. driver by SI.

Edited by derrickdj1

im not one to call you out Derrick.

I agree with you. The point I was making is that at 20, 30, 40 Hz, it will sound the same as the larger driver. It just won't have the output as you raise the spl beyond the small subs operating range. SI has some great drivers. I would love to hear and feel that 24 in. driver by SI.

gotta. Although I'm not sure about them sounding the same. I'd have to a/b them side by side to have a for sure opinion on that. In theory for sure. They should sound exactly the same. Hopefully a Kansas City member will grab one so I won't HAVE to lol

An 18, 15 or11 driver producing  30 or 40 Hz at 90 db should sound the same at the listening position.  Once out of the effective operating range of the weaker driver, then you will notice a difference in extension or output. :D  The catch is that movies and music don't play on frequency and difference may become more noticeable sooner because the effective range of the weaker driver may come into play sooner.

Edited by derrickdj1

I disagree.  Let's use a sane SPL of say 90dB for example at 40 Hz.  Both sets of drivers should easily be able to handle that.  Both drivers need to move the same amount of air to create the specified SPL.  The 18's cone area allows for less movement than the 11 to create the same SPL or same displacement.  The driver with more linear motion (in this case the 11) will always have more distortion if all else is equal.

If the smaller driver is operating in it's effective range the distortion should be very, very low and not audible.  I was just having fun when I made that statement.  But, It should sound the same.  Just like a kevlar, paper, treated paper, cerametalic cone should all produce a similar sounding F or C note if they are constructed correctly and at the same frequency and spl, lol.

I disagree. Let's use a sane SPL of say 90dB for example at 40 Hz. Both sets of drivers should easily be able to handle that. Both drivers need to move the same amount of air to create the specified SPL. The 18's cone area allows for less movement than the 11 to create the same SPL or same displacement. The driver with more linear motion (in this case the 11) will always have more distortion if all else is equal.

agreed 100% and you should too Derrick. You always talk about cutting your 7's higher to have less cone movement and therefor less distortion.

I do agree that the small cone will have more distortion due to more cone movement.  The distortion is not as easy for us to pickup in the subwoofer band below 80 Hz.  Unless the small sub is pushed hard things should sound pretty much the same.  I am in no way saying that the 11 in. driver is better than the 18 in. driver and in a foot race that the 18 would not win hands down.  Either way, this was just for fun and I hope you guys had a great Xmas. :)

I have always liked SI and this is a very intresting little driver, being 11". This is for the person seaking a ht subwoofer requiring a smaller enclosure. If you have the room the 18" is clearly the better option. I wonder how this sub would work in a car?

Alex

i saw people ask about it on their Facebook page. They advised against it. Not sure why.

I have always liked SI and this is a very intresting little driver, being 11". This is for the person seaking a ht subwoofer requiring a smaller enclosure. If you have the room the 18" is clearly the better option. I wonder how this sub would work in a car?

Alex

i saw people ask about it on their Facebook page. They advised against it. Not sure why.

SI_zps1e8b3e67.jpg