Power Cords (Oh, Sh*t)

eth2

Seriously,

It does not look like they are made any longer, or at least not under the same name. Do you know what cable was used? Also, do they have the Rhodium plated plug contacts.

Thanks

edit: I found this for a "litz" model - the Silver Stream litz is unshielded dual 12GA silver plated copper in teflon insulation

Edited by eth2

Also found this for the "reference" model:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rcabl&1064090671&&&/VeraStarr-Silver-Reference-Power-cord

I too was intrigued by the design and construction of the Verastarr Reference Power Cord (and as I later learned their unique sound). Their novel use of separate shielding of the positive, negative, and ground wires, 99.99% Silver plated High Conductivity 99.999% Copper conductors and Furutech connectors made me curious. So I gave them a try.

First of all I am not employed by Verastarr. I am just an avid Audiophile looking for good sounding and reasonably priced equipment.

My bias is toward vocals, jazz, and classical music. I tend to favor midrange presence, palatability, and vividness of the performance. I also listen for dynamics and micro-dynamics. These last two seem to affect the musicality of the performance. This is not to say that the frequency extremes are unimportant. They just do not have as high a priority in my book.

I found the Verastarr Reference Power Cord very open. The soundstage is wide and the depth of the musical performance just a step back from the location of the speakers. Again the vocal presence was very good. Dynamics/micro-dynamics made the performance very musical. It was neither sibilant. grainy, or harsh. It blended well within my setup.

The topend was good. But it wasn’t as extended, airy, or hard sounding as some of the other cords. The bass contained depth, slam, and control but it was not the most prolific that I have listened to. (That award goes to the PS Xtreme. But then this cord did not end up being very musical, in my setup.)

These comments are all subjective based on my equipment. Your preferences and equipment along with the synergy, blend, setup, and configuration will ultimately impact the overall sound and enjoyment of the music.

In all, I highly recommend this cable for those looking for a large sound stage and vivid midrange presence. It contains good engineering which I found to provide good dynamics and musicality. I am very surprised and satisfied with the performance of this cable.

Seriously,

It does not look like they are made any longer, or at least not under the same name. Do you know what cable was used? Also, do they have the Rhodium plated plug contacts.

Thanks

edit: I found this for a "litz" model - the Silver Stream litz is unshielded dual 12GA silver plated copper in teflon insulation

Earl, I agree that they are no longer made. In order to get tech specs I would recommend that any interested person contact Mike Powell at http://verastarr.com/  and send him a photo so he could tell you how it was built. I bought them to match my interconnects and speaker wires when I first got the VRDs.

Mike,

The picture you posted says they are Silver "Reference" power cords. Therefore, based on some of the postings I saw, I would guess that they "use separate shielding of the positive, negative, and ground wires, 99.99% Silver plated High Conductivity 99.999% Copper conductors and Furutech connectors"

Edited by eth2

Mike,

The picture you posted says they are Silver "Reference" power cords. Therefore, based on some of the postings I saw, I would guess that they "use separate shielding of the positive, negative, and ground wires, 99.99% Silver plated High Conductivity 99.999% Copper conductors and Furutech connectors"

Guys, I have more to say on this but I need a few minutes to feed the kiddos. Be back.

So I sold all my two channel stuff thinking I would be satisfied using an AVR; I wasn't.

I then began re-constructing a two channel system. Along about this time, while looking for a CD player to replace the Sony 10 disc changer I had used, I discovered the Jolida Cd-100 and found that Hotrodaudiomods was in my neighborhood. I ordered one and went to pick it up. Mike Powell, owner of HRAMs, allowed me to come over to pick it up and while there I watched as they modded my Jolida. It was then that we got in discussions regarding cabling. I spent time bouncing between the technicians' benches and Mike's display / listening room. Being an anal retentive aircraft mechanic I was impressed with the quality of the work (craftsmanship) and the follow on testing after build. At that point I had them build me some of the Silverstream interconnects. One failed the testing and was discarded.

Since that time I have stayed in contact and had more interconnects made to the lengths I wanted. When I bought my first NOSValves amps, I called Mike and asked him to make some more interconnects, sub woofer cables and power cables. I did this because I liked the shop's work and wanted the matching looks plus Mike was agreeable to make mine to custom lengths. My model, Silverstream, had been discontinued as they moved to more high dollar, esoteric cables so Mike manufactured the ICs from left over stock hence the different colors of heat shrink used.

I have had the opportunity to be involved in a "beta" testing of power and IC cables (not involving Verastarr products) and I found no difference in sound. I do not doubt that others may hear differences but on my system and my very poor room(s) I did not. I bought and still to this day buy ICs and power cables for the build quality, aesthetics and customer service.

Edit: So why then sell stuff that I approved of? Bottom line is that after 40 years of aircraft noise I have developed a case of tinnitus that is rapidly progressing and it won't be long before all my two channel stuff is given up.

Edited by USNRET
  • Like 1

Thanks Sancho.

I don't want to get into another Uberbuss discussion. I don't know if power cords make a difference, but am willing to gamble $50 or $60 per cord. There were some good reviews of this power cord.

Grab one off an old PC or monitor and use it for now.  Spend a couple hundred bucks on ordering another one.  Once you get the high dollar one in and replace the cheap one, start a thread on how it did or didn't make a difference.

I can wait.

He'll have to break it in first...

If there's no losses, then there's no problem. Put an AC voltmeter between the hot lug at the outlet and the hot lug inside the device, then drive the device to full rated power with a test signal and see how much loss you have. The total loss in the cord is twice the measurement. I'll bet it's less than a quarter-volt, less than 1% loss, with the cheapest 16-gauge cord you can buy on a typical HT receiver or power amp.

Surely each of you is aware of the gauge and total length of the wiring inside your walls.

"Hospital grade" from Amazon, $14.99 prime.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069FLXLU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AV526XMAQY6F

I have never heard sound difference in power cables unless something was wrong with it. These seem well constructed at least.

Hospital grade? Does your system have the flu?

Helps fight diseases caused by dirty power. :)

Actually it means:

North American hospital-grade cords must carry the “green dot” signifying that they have been designed and tested to UL 817 and CAN/CSA C22.2 no 21 as hospital-grade power cords and cord sets. Specifically, UL 60601-1 sections 57.2 and 57.3 require that “patient care equipment” used in the “patient vicinity” must use hospital-grade attachment plugs. “Patient care equipment” and “patient vicinity” are defined in UL 60601-1 sections 2.12.19 & 2.12.20.

Currently the UL 498 and 817 standards only allows the NEMA 5-15, 5-20, 6-15, and 6-20 straight blade devices to be marked “hospital-grade.” CSA will allow the NEMA 1-15 if double insulated and meets requirements.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069FLXLU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AV526XMAQY6F

I have never heard sound difference in power cables unless something was wrong with it. These seem well constructed at least.

Always use hospital grade power cords on your computer to help protect it from getting a computer virus!

• Like 2

Always use hospital grade power cords on your computer to help protect it from getting a computer virus!

Of course the best place to get sick is the hospital so YMMV.

• Like 1

I tried swapping the a/c cord from my Dell to my amplifier, and the amp crashed.  Hospital grade cord cured it.

Fair warning on hospital grade plugs: they'll rip apart non-hospital grade outlets, or at least the cheapies.

Fair warning on hospital grade plugs: they'll rip apart non-hospital grade outlets, or at least the cheapies.

If you get the good hospital grade cords you'll get sexy little nurses in skimpy uniforms, but with cheapy ones you end up with a big nurse named Bertha.

• Like 1