Is RedRay coming to your Home Theater

derrickdj1

4K isn't a fad, but will not be important to most of us until OLED printing gets the prices on it so low as to be almost irrelevant.  Theoretically, OLED displays can be wall sized, sold as a roll, and so dirt cheap as to make branding a thing of the past.

I'm betting on a decade or less to reach that.

Dave

RedRay is suppose to  be able to put a movie on a small flash drive.  The ability to successfully stream HD content will be one of it's biggest advantages.  At this point it looks has if 4K is not a fad.  As for a projector, that is not a direction that I want to pursue since I use the entertainment area for music way more than movies.  One thing for sure, a 4K TV and avr will be serious considerations for this year.  An avr capable of Dolby Atmos is appealing  since ceiling speakers can be used without more large floor speakers.  I may wait til the 2015 models are on the way out come late summer or early fall when they can be purchased at a deep discount.

Don't forget about DTS:X...

I got my old 2001 magazine where a 42 inch plasma was $7k. I recall thinking what sucker would pay that? Maybe some rich dude....but also some people that can't even afford it. I waited till they were $500 and let the early adopters throw their money at it? I wanted a projector, they were $12k, just waited a few years till the whole set up was $1.5k, and superior. I think I'll just wait some more.

• Like 2

Beta Max being my most outstanding failure.  

i wasn’t the only one?  Back in about 1980 or 81, i bought a betamax “on sale” for $600.  Top loading machine, about the size of a small suitcase.  blank tapes were about $20  

just checked this website that said $600 in 1981 is the equivalent of $1,620 in 2014.  now i feel even more dumb; but, then again, being the first on the block with video machine made me look cool.

You are still cool..... This forum proves it....

• Like 1

i wasn’t the only one? Back in about 1980 or 81, i bought a betamax “on sale” for $600

Got my "last and top of the line" Betamax 850 at a sell off from an AV store that was going out of business about 1985.  Used it until the mid 90s and it ran circles around any VHS deck at any price and looked just as good as SVHS.  It still works, though is in storage, of course, at the moment.  Aside from video, it was the best audio storage device you could get aside from a first rate R2R at much higher price until the coming of high res digital. 

I still feel cool about it...  Never was much for finding a group of people, dressing like them, and following them around.

Probably why I am here.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

The difference I noted over my Samsung Plasma was the brightness.

Nothing to do with 4K.

My only problem is that I don't usually replace a TV unless it is broke.

Finest image you can buy will not fool my cat.  It's the Mallette's Cat law.  Here are my thoughts on video:

We aren't even close to "reality."  Images are flat as a pancake.  I argue that the last stage of audio we haven't gotten right is multi-channel that really delivers the reality of a building with all it's acoustic qualities.  Audio has yet to reach what I would characterize as "high fidelity," but it is MUCH closer than video and has been for several decades.  But it has stalled.  As to video, I am going to use an audio timeline to describe my experience. 

1953, 21" RCA monochromatic at around 400.00.  Certainly wouldn't confuse it with anything real...but it was entertaining like nothing else.  I'd compare this to acoustic recordings.

1964, RCA Color set.  About as above, except in color needing constant adjustment...or just watching green faces.  We'll call this electrical recordings.

For the next couple of decades it was basically incremental.  Resolution didn't change much, but color control get better.  Prices about the same the whole time, even a bit more for color sets.  A 15" Trinitron in 1976 was about 500.00.

1989 36" Mitsubishi  About as above, except things getting bigger.  About 800.00 as I recall and close to a hundred pounds.

1995 50" rear projection.  Finally, letterbox at times.  Sound is stereo and quite good.  Images pretty much as above but bigger.  Price just south of a grand.

2005 46" LED and my first HD TV.  MUCH better looking images...but still flat as a pancake and my cat remained much more concerned about what came out of the speakers than what was on the screen.  Set my current norm of 1k for what I was willing to spend for a new TV.

2010 55" plasma with larger picture than 2005 and much better color dynamic range.  About a grand. 

2014 65" plasma, as above and same price, but with full internet connectivity and such on board.  Nice upgrade! 

Future?  Expectation is an 80 or larger OLED with better dynamic range...but barring some breakthrough still flat as a pancake and I still don't think my cat will be impressed. 

However, you never know.  If there is a point it is that audio is WAY ahead of video and at least has a degree of dimensionality.  Video has remained in what is basically the visual equivalent of mono since day one.  So, I put that 1k limit on what I'll spend as more only buys bigger and the "better" is so marginal such that I don't care.  It's the audio that makes it real. 

Dave