Replacement parts affecting value

Taz

I have a few of the old tube stereos and am wondering how replacing parts other than tubes can affect value.    

Sometimes I have seen where someone has stated a safety upgrade needs to be done.  Hard to argue with this one.

Othertimes I hear that the original capacitors needs to be upgraded.  Then again I've heard that all original is worth more $$$ if everything is original as long as it works.  mc30's are in question.

Not an audiophile

There are usually two types of buyers of vintage equipment.  One is the technical person who won't buy something that has been messed with (I can attest as to just how bad things can get when someone who shouldn't have touched anything decided to "give it a try"), and the other is a non-technical person who would only want equipment which has been restored/upgraded so they could avoid the expense.  Of course, in the latter case, one is always taking a chance if the person who did the work is unknown.  So, as to value, it's going to be appreciated differently by different individuals.  If your MC30s are working, I'd sell them as is.

Maynard

The big questions are if you intend to sell, or keep them long term, and for what purpose.

If you intend to sell them, sell them as is (and I gather this wasn't the case based on your prior post on your MC30s). I also gather from your prior posts that you were having service problems.

If you plan to keep them and USE them, then you should have them electrically restored (rebuilt) for safe operation, and in my opinion, best sonics too.

Typical rebuild involves the power supply, coupling caps, and at least partial resistor work (especially the large plate resistors). Parts selection is important - they do affect the finishing details of the sonic signature. Carbon film resistors are typically best in rebuilds (to maintain that relaxed sonic signature) and there are a select group of coupling caps that do really well in these (I am NOT a fan of orange drops or Illinois capacitors in these amps - there's MUCH better out there without breaking the bank).

A GOOD quality thorough rebuild is usually not an issue for resale if you sell them some years later, especially for the buyer who wants to actually use them, and especially if the original schematic is adhered to. There are collectors, as mentioned previously, who like them all original who leave them on the shelf and don't play them. If you have a pair of all original parted MC30s and they are having a service issue then you are in a bit of a "corner", because in most cases the exact original type replacement parts will not be available, or for that matter maybe not even desirable.

I have two pairs of rebuilt MC30s and have traveled quite a road with them, and have listened to MC30s with a multitude of differing parts packages and stages of rebuild. I think too many get hung up on "all original" for their own operating amplifiers - but the fact is that these amps are approaching 60 years old, and as those parts fail (and often intermittently, making them difficult to repair one part at a time) the user ends up either in a cycle of endless repairs one part at a time, or ends up selling them because they find other amps to be less hassle or better sounding. Neither scenario should be the case, because a properly restored and tubed pair of MC30s are still the midrange and tonality kings on Klipsch Heritage. It is only because I stayed the course and didn't give up on them - and found the RIGHT solutions to make them the best they could be, that I still have them and swear by them to this day. Which is not to say that I don't like other amplifiers - my other personal favorites are NOSValves VRDs - but the 30s have qualities that no other tube gear can duplicate.

In any case of resale, there will be buyers who buy for different reasons and there's always that issue of finding the right buyer who wants the specifics of the units you are offering for sale. This mirrors the "classic car" hobby in the idea that things like originality, operability, and actual purpose of use will always be "in play".

In my personal experience it does seem to be more like classic cars than about anything else. Some folks like fully restored numbers matching survivors, and others want new car smell resto-mods. I am in between those camps with old electronics.

If I were you, and you are concerned, then put the original parts that are removed in a bag and keep them. That's what folks do in the car business. That way you are selling with the old parts in case the buyer wants the thing restored to original.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Family can sell them if they want.  AFTER I DIE.  My use is to listen to music with them.   And to compare with other equipment.  Just don't want to mess up the value after I'm gone.  No plans to make my exit any time soon.  

I have thinned the herd to the equip I want to keep.  Now to just get them into good working order.

Thanks for the info and opinions.

Taz I would add to keep the value high and make them safe to use have the work done by a respected tech and keep the receipt, I have seen many Mcintosh fetch top dollar when restored by the likes of Dewick..............If future value is a concern using a respected tech will hold better value

• Like 1