Serious lack of low end playing vinyl....

jimjimbo

USNRET, on 09 Jan 2015 - 1:50 PM, said: You could just buy my Basis 2001 with Graham 2.2 arm and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge; this combo does not lack bass. I'm not even going to bother asking how much, because I think I would probably need two more jobs to afford it......   Yea, just looked it up....thanks for the offer though!

Now you're talking premiere products and bass.  I suggest you keep your eyes peeled for used of any of these 3 products, though, especially a Basis TT and Graham TA.  I think that's what USNRET did as I recall and his deal was very hard to beat.

The Basis record clamp was icing on the cake, as I recall.

Edited by LarryC

Just initiated the Amazon return.  At least have the weekend to repack it properly....Unfortunately NeedleDoc is closed on the weekends.  Probably going to talk to them about a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC with an upgraded cartridge, perhaps the Ortofon 2M Blue, but I'll see what they have to say about that.  I guess this will give me time to clean more records.....

• Like 1

Cleaning is way underrated. Seriously, the crap left over from pressing and the years of mold / mildew growing is the pops, crackle, snap that folks talk about when they are hating on 'records'. Find your own way of scrubbing that nasty stuff away (I use VPI 16.5) once and then just brush the dust off before play. Hang in there.

• Like 1

Cleaning is way underrated. Seriously, the crap left over from pressing and the years of mold / mildew growing is the pops, crackle, snap that folks talk about when they are hating on 'records'. Find your own way of scrubbing that nasty stuff away (I use VPI 16.5) once and then just brush the dust off before play. Hang in there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Desk-Systeme-LP-Record-Cleaning-Machine-only-weeks-old-/361175838232?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item5417c1ee18

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Desk-Systeme-LP-Record-Cleaning-Machine-only-weeks-old-/361175838232?pt=US_Record_Players_Home_Turntables&hash=item5417c1ee18

Cmon man, let's be realistic.  I know you think it's funny, but, it's really not.

Cmon man, let's be realistic.  I know you think it's funny, but, it's really not.

Im not being funny , I am really considering buying one and this was directed towards USNRET   

I have to put in my 2 cents on this. I have been playing vinyl since the 60's, and it is by far my favorite form of music reproduction still. I agree with the people who recommended the High Fi test LP. You cannot tune a turntable without this,or one of the other test records out there. I have stated many times before, and I'll say it again- every time I've upgraded my vinyl rig,whether being the turntable, cartridge, arm, preamplifier, etc, I have heard improvements. Vinyl playback is, unfortunately, more dependent on the playback system than anything else. You can get a hundred dollar CD player and it will sound fine, but not so with a turntable. With that being said, I think you can get a decent sound from vinyl if you do your research, ask a lot of questions, and spend the time to set everything up correctly. 

I'm not saying that you need to spend thousands to get decent sound  ( although it is a real possibility that you will when the addiction sets in), but by buying smart, you can get the sound you're looking for.

Things I have observed during my journey to achieve vinyl bilss: Don't overthink the set-up. Worrying about precise VTA, azimuth, anti-skating settings will waste a lot of your time, and not make any huge difference if you are in the general ballpark. The test record will get you there . Always set the tracking force at the heavy end of the manufacturers recommendations. A lighter tracking force won't help save your records, but it will significantly increase surface noise.

A clean record is a happy record.

Newer vinyl releases will have more bass than older ones.

Look up Mike Fremer. He has some set up videos that are very good, which you might find for free if you dig around. He is considered to be one of the leading experts in the field of vinyl playback.

Be patient-the results will be worth it!

The more I read in this thread, the happier I am that I even started it....once again, thanks for all of the opinions, advice and general foolin' around....Earl.

Hello,

You resolve your problem?

There is no problem in hi-fi that can't be solved by a giant money infusion...

• Like 1

Boys, you got that right....Actually, I have made great progress on this, even though I don't currently have a permanent TT installed.  I have met some local gentlemen that have a great music shop/performance venue/repair and restoration business.  I have spent quite a bit of time in the last few days with them, and have gotten some great advice regarding new, used, restored TT's.  They are also interested in some of the equipment I have, so I think we are going to come to a very nice mutual agreement in the near future....Will keep you posted.

Please do keep us posted. It is such a pain in the a**  to get a new source component that does not work properly. Just went through that dance with upgrading my cdp. On the other hand, I've had great luck with Pro-Ject TT's and upgraded cartridges. Good bang for the buck and worth looking into.

• Like 1